SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It looks like I'm about a quart low.

My plan is to dry it out, clean it up and apply a nice bead of silicone around the seal. I feel if I remove the lens to replace the seal I'll have more problems.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Pic dosn't work.

Anyways, it's a common issue, low fluid is caused by age or a leak. After the reseal you can use Volvo brand fluid if you want, but here is what I like to use...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know how long it took to accumulate but we have had a lot of rain and it is an outside car. I did see condensation and but didn't see standing water! A few weeks ago I got a "low beam failure" warning and when I replace the bulb it was shattered. Got the same warning again a couple of days ago and again shattered bulb so decided to pull the headlights and fix. That's when I saw all the water.

Antherzoll, what weight does that fluid come in? :D

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
It looks more like a boat trailer light after launching.

Nice hand injury, testament to how hard it was getting it out.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I've had several of these leak especially 2004s
We remove the lens, (you have to so the inside can be cleaned and polished) dry it all out and seal it all back together

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I'm firmly of the belief that it's not your car until it's made you bleed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Apologies in advance for the 'newbie-like' questions - in '"sealing it all back together" I am assuming that re-sealing the lens face to the assembly is what is required to stop the water penetration? Is there any recommendations for sealer beyond silicone OR should I simply invest in a new seal? Are there other potential sources for leaks? Insights are welcomed.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Apologies in advance for the 'newbie-like' questions - in '"sealing it all back together" I am assuming that re-sealing the lens face to the assembly is what is required to stop the water penetration? Is there any recommendations for sealer beyond silicone OR should I simply invest in a new seal? Are there other potential sources for leaks? Insights are welcomed.
don't use silicone. it's terrible for this application. You want butyl glue/sealant.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/morimoto-retrorubber-butyl-glue-50254.html#.VkTehPmrQdU

like that. Heat headlamp to remove the lense. Clean, dry, heat butyl rope, apply to housing, reseat lense and let cool. I find that large rubber bands help you keep it all clamped together while things mellow out. Like #64s.

edit:
I get mine from the local RV place, they use it for window installations.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Awesomeness - insights greatly appreciated - apologies for the thread-jack......

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks more like a boat trailer light after launching.

I'm firmly of the belief that it's not your car until it's made you bleed.
I'm not sure if I cut it when removing the lights or on something else (replaced a few mounts too). I will say the bumper removal was a pain because its not intuitive but pretty easy once you do it.

don't use silicone. it's terrible for this application. You want butyl glue/sealant.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/morimoto-retrorubber-butyl-glue-50254.html#.VkTehPmrQdU

like that. Heat headlamp to remove the lense. Clean, dry, heat butyl rope, apply to housing, reseat lense and let cool. I find that large rubber bands help you keep it all clamped together while things mellow out. Like #64s.

edit:
I get mine from the local RV place, they use it for window installations.
I decided to just hit the seam with silicone and see what happens. If it fails I'll do it right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts