SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tires all have a good amount of meat left on them , but I need to replace one.
I want to measure the old ones with a tread depth gauge and compare it with a brand new tire.
How much difference do you think would be safe as not to mess up the awd system and stuff?

Also, is there a way to deactivate the awd in case the tread depth is a big difference?

It's a rear tire if that's a factor (of course I could just rotate it)

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
The tires all have a good amount of meat left on them , but I need to replace one.
I want to measure the old ones with a tread depth gauge and compare it with a brand new tire.
How much difference do you think would be safe as not to mess up the awd system and stuff?

Also, is there a way to deactivate the awd in case the tread depth is a big difference?

It's a rear tire if that's a factor (of course I could just rotate it)
From what I have been told I would just buy 2. The price of 1 extra tire is better then ****ing something up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree with Trav. I would buy a pair put the new ones on front, the best two on back and keep the odd one for an emergency, if you can store it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I have been told I would just buy 2. The price of 1 extra tire is better then ****ing something up.
Ohh so 2 new tires on the same axle wont hurt anything?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ohh so 2 new tires on the same axle wont hurt anything?
Wont hurt and generally new tires are mounted on the rear. New tires on the front has a tendency to cause the vehicle to fishtail while turning in the white stuff.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wont hurt and generally new tires are mounted on the rear. New tires on the front has a tendency to cause the vehicle to fishtail while turning in the white stuff.
After a little more research, I stand corrected new tires should go on the back. The deeper tread on the rears also minimizes hydroplaning.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After a little more research, I stand corrected new tires should go on the back. The deeper tread on the rears also minimizes hydroplaning.
Thanks.
I know, Fishtailing occurs when the rears break free

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I don't know if Volvo has any specifics, but IIRC, other companies with our generation haldex suggest no less than 2/32" left to right and 4/32" front to back.
i recall others saying similar.

my rule of thumb if the tires are older where tread difference is quite a bit, spring for 4 instead of 2. if they are relatively new tires and have quite a bit of life left. replace two (as a pair of course).

I've replaced in pairs, replaced all 4 and I actually replaced just one when tires had ~4k miles one them one had a hole ripped in the sidewall. never any issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts