SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im aware of how much fluid the transmission holds but unless u check it when it's at it's hottest and get the pan drained completely and refilled with new fluid within 5-10 min how are u supposed to know how much fluid to put in it since the transmission is already cooling and temperature affects fluid level which will be lower and will show a different reading on the dipstick? I put in just under 4 qts which was what came out of the pan naturally. But then after checking it before starting the car i noticed the level was reading in the hot range and the car had been off for nearly three hours so i drained enough off to get the fluid back to the cold area but then after driving it for 30 minutes to get it up to the hot range i checked the dipstick and it was still reading in the cold range. This is confusing! Anyone have any pointers or tidbits. Thanks<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by T5Killa at 9:25 PM 9-18-2008</i>

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: How much tranny fluid? (T5Killa)

My guess would be that when you refilled the tranny and checked it you had not allowed the fluid to completely fill the tranny itself only the pan. You then removed fluid, started the car, at which point fluid was allowed to fill the entire tranny from it's reserves in the pan. When you re-checked the fluid you were givin a lower reading. <p>My suggestion is to put some fluid back in. Drive the car untill the fluid is hot. Check to fluid and fill to the hot line on the dipstick.<p><br>Where is the dipstick by the way. I have looked in the engine bay of my 01 T4 and also the owners manual and cannot find the dip stick.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Re: How much tranny fluid? (Colo.TJ)

It's got a yellow cap with a sort of a copper clip underneath the cap holding it in. Look down the crevice between the block and your airbox. It's there.<p>Don't reach down there without gloves unless the engine has been off. You're asking to get burned.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: How much tranny fluid? (Colo.TJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Colo.TJ</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My guess would be that when you refilled the tranny and checked it you had not allowed the fluid to completely fill the tranny itself only the pan. You then removed fluid, started the car, at which point fluid was allowed to fill the entire tranny from it's reserves in the pan. When you re-checked the fluid you were givin a lower reading. <p>My suggestion is to put some fluid back in. Drive the car untill the fluid is hot. Check to fluid and fill to the hot line on the dipstick.<p><br>Where is the dipstick by the way. I have looked in the engine bay of my 01 T4 and also the owners manual and cannot find the dip stick.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>yeah i that's true. Well I'm gonna drain some more of the old fluid out and fill with new a few days so i'll note that next time. Appreciate the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts