SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at an s60r - its got 166k, the owner is asking $5k but is negotiable. He knows its an R, but no idea what that means - didnt even know it was turbo, the car has been passed down through the family and maintenance records are fair.

I drove it today, the car seems fine, pull is good, suspension a little soft/noise but otherwise it seems ok. Without putting it on a lift I found the following 2 issues:

- Car is putting out "Chassis settings service req." message - which obviously has something to do with the suspension system, but the owner has no idea what the 4c system is and had it check by local mechanic (non volvo) and was told nothing is loose
- PCV really needs to be changed, smoke coming out of oil dipstick and hose on top of engine.

I have done the full PCV repair on my many 850's and s70's so that doesnt concern me, the question is how much to knock off for the suspension. and whether its worth it.

The car seems to be in otherwise decent/good condition , it has the sport kit an spoiler, and I am pretty sure I can get him below $4k for the car - it just seems silly when there are plenty of regular older s60 t5's around for less then that (obviously just trying to justify the itch for an s60r).

What do you think is a fair price ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
$3k.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If you need to replace the 4C struts, they are about 250-300 each for parts. So figure you need $1500-$2k or so to do a full suspension overhaul.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Especially at that mileage it is most likely struts gone bad.

He didn't know it was an R or turbo. So he most likely didn't care for it as it should have been. He probably thought it was a old grandpa's car lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I asked him about full synthetic oil changes but his response was not very convincing.... not to mention the grade of gas he probably used.

Oddly enough the car did seem in pretty shape and I have gone through about a bunch of turbo volvos over the years so I was decently surprised in the condition and shape assuming it wasnt cared for like an R

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
with the exception of the brakes - they seemed too soft but had some meat left on the pads so they system may need to be bled better.

·
Registered
438 Posts
$3k to $3500. I paid 4k for more miles and more problems, and it wasn't the best deal to be honest. I'm still fixing stuff, my labor only, and I'm $9k into it total. That said, it has all poly, IPD sway bars, and coil overs, so its been an upgrade pathway really.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
You put more into it than it is worth. Congrats.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yes I did. I want it to perform and if that means being upside down that's the nature of performance cars generally.

I can think of it as a $9k s60r, or a mint condition 300hp awd car that drives like its on rails and is as safe as it gets. And has $4k in new parts. Wink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
If it is just an accelerometer, which often go bad or come loose at this mileage, they are less than $100 used on Ebay and apparently an easy DIY. New ones are under $200. I am about to do it myself on my 04R with 148k that had an accelerometer on the strut come loose. A vida code scan could tell you which one it is (There are 6 or 7 total I believe).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts