SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends

My 2007 XC90 V8 is on its last legs. I bought it at 130k km and now with 250k km (155k miles) if has a bunch of issues and I doubt it will keep going for much longer. I was hoping for more but Canadian winters are tough on it.

From the top of my head it needs (all Canadian prices)

- rack & pinion and pump (power steering) ($2000 cnd)
- 4wd doesnt work ($1700-$2500)
- headlights ($1000)
- O2 sensor (?)
- subwoofer doesnt work

To my knowledge engine and transmission is in good shape (never had an issue).

We paid $9000 3 years ago so we got it pretty cheap and it was a nice car but we decided to cur out loses and look around for an XC60 T6. Sidenote, I grew up about 100km from Torslanda where Volvos are born so I won't really consider anything else :)

Anyways, how much do you guys think I should ask in a private sale? I was thinking somewhere around $4k CND, but I'm not entirely sure?

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
O2 sensor is not that expensive compared to the other items, and the headlights if they are rotted or oxidized can possibly be restored by sanding and polishing using a product such as Mother's headlight restoration kit.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O2 sensor is not that expensive compared to the other items, and the headlights if they are rotted or oxidized can possibly be restored by sanding and polishing using a product such as Mother's headlight restoration kit.
Yes, I'm not too worried about the o2. It's been gone for a while. I tried restoring the headlights with a product off Amazon (good one) but it didn't work really. Both ballasts are gone (not pricey from china)

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Yes, I'm not too worried about the o2. It's been gone for a while. I tried restoring the headlights with a product off Amazon (good one) but it didn't work really. Both ballasts are gone (not pricey from china)
Ok well in that case maybe consider cutting your losses and put it up for sale or trade it in. Unless you really love it then pay to have it fixed.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Take a look at the blue book value and choose "Fair" for the condition, given everything it needs. That'll tell you what buyers will be wanting/expecting/waving in your face. Then hit up Craigslist and compile a list of V8 XC90s in your area taking things like mileage and condition into consideration. That'll give you at least a ballpark of where to put it pricewise. Those prices are probably padded with $500 or $1000 to account for haggling and you should too unless you want it gone quickly and are willing to take a hit on the price.

For reference, looking at KBB in my area it put the median price around $4500 (US) and that jives with what I recall seeing on the local Craigslist as well.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I love my 2009 V8, the engine seems to be bulletproof. I’d keep it and fix it before replacing it with the T6.

I just changed my starter, total PIA! Had to wait on a couple gaskets and spark plugs before I could put it back together.

I’ve got 215,000 miles on it, and the only thing I’ve done to it is changed a wheel hub, broken accessories belt, batteries, couple broken tail lights, spark plugs, and starter.

Also, this is what spark plugs look like with 215,000 miles on them.

Like literally bulletproof...the HVAC didn’t even leak a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I’m willing to bet the V8 will last 300,000 miles before any real engine problems.

Just don’t wash the engine, to avoid the counter balance issues.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I’m willing to bet the V8 will last 300,000 miles before any real engine problems.
Totally agree. That’s a really good engine, wish they still offered it.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I love my 2009 V8, the engine seems to be bulletproof. I’d keep it and fix it before replacing it with the T6.

I just changed my starter, total PIA! Had to wait on a couple gaskets and spark plugs before I could put it back together.

I’ve got 215,000 miles on it, and the only thing I’ve done to it is changed a wheel hub, broken accessories belt, batteries, couple broken tail lights, spark plugs, and starter.

Also, this is what spark plugs look like with 215,000 miles on them.

Is that a pet rock?

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Yeah, apparently from a semi, I still have it.

Thankfully it didn’t hit my windshield, it hit hard!!!!

Probably hard enough to penetrate the windshield.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks but it's too low.
I appreciate that but you are going to have a tough time getting anything close to what you are looking for based on the problems you have. By your own estimates of 5k + in repairs, you want 4k which means you believe the vehicle has not depreciated at all in the past 3 years? If you put 5k into it, you would not get 5k for it.

Here`s what $4500 CDN will get you in Ontario and this guy has been trying to sell for a month now:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1414571992&requestSource=b

$3500 CDN:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...v8/1418800759?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I was in a similar situation, I have my S60R and XC90, both had become somewhat unreliable and I was considering trading in the XC90 on a new F-150. We bought my wife a 2017 F-350 4x4 ($34,000) single cab (only had 2,800 miles on it) as her new commuter car, and I was dealing with a bit of truck envy. Especially when the family car wasn’t running right and we couldn’t get the 4 of us in the F-350.

But, I paid like $54,000 for the XC90 and the Trade-in Value was $3,000 -$4,500...if I was lucky due to having 215,000 miles. It needed a new starter, the tires were going bald, new brake pads, a/c wasn’t working, and I didn’t want to dump time and money into something that was worthless.

But, I’d end up spending $45,000+ just to get something as comfortable, and that’s just a bad investment.

The vehicle, and all its amenities, are worth more to me than the dealership would give me for trade in.

So, after careful consideration and forcing myself to get over my irrational feelings, I decided that the rational decision was to keep the XC90 and spend the money to make it reliable again.

Selling it or trading it in was just going to be a waste of a good vehicle, and the money for a new car would be better used elsewhere.

So far, I’ve only spent about $1,800 fixing it, and that included buying a windows 7 Panasonic tough-book with Vida preloaded and Dice unit.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was in a similar situation, I have my S60R and XC90, both had become somewhat unreliable and I was considering trading in the XC90 on a new F-150. We bought my wife a 2017 F-350 4x4 ($34,000) single cab (only had 2,800 miles on it) as her new commuter car, and I was dealing with a bit of truck envy. Especially when the family car wasn’t running right and we couldn’t get the 4 of us in the F-350.

But, I paid like $54,000 for the XC90 and the Trade-in Value was $3,000 -$4,500...if I was lucky due to having 215,000 miles. It needed a new starter, the tires were going bald, new brake pads, a/c wasn’t working, and I didn’t want to dump time and money into something that was worthless.

But, I’d end up spending $45,000+ just to get something as comfortable, and that’s just a bad investment.

The vehicle, and all its amenities, are worth more to me than the dealership would give me for trade in.

So, after careful consideration and forcing myself to get over my irrational feelings, I decided that the rational decision was to keep the XC90 and spend the money to make it reliable again.

Selling it or trading it in was just going to be a waste of a good vehicle, and the money for a new car would be better used elsewhere.

So far, I’ve only spent about $1,800 fixing it, and that included buying a windows 7 Panasonic tough-book with Vida preloaded and Dice unit.

Nice - in addition to the sound financial logic, that's also the most environmentally "green" choice you could have made.

-- DavidV :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts