SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did my tune up this weekend and of course didn't wait for my filter wrench to show up. (Had a half dozen filter wrenches and straps that didn't work)

Since I was down there I did change the oil out so that is done, but has anyone changed the filter w/o draining the oil? Judging by the location I should have minimal loss while swapping out the cartridge, but before I go experimenting I wanted to see if anyone has a yes/no vote on this.
I'll be prepared w/ more oil on hand in case I need it and to re-top off, but should I expect a mess?

Thanks in advance

*and my side note, minus the oil filter this was the easiest tune up I've ever done - first FWD car and I'm liking the location of the plugs! *

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I have, you'll probobly lose like 1/2-1qt at the very most. I don't think you'll lose any more than that. It may make a little mess, but it won't drain off the entire oil pan, it will just drain what is in the filter. Just let the car cool down.

btw, do you have an auto or manual? It's much easier to drain it on a manual volvo.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
this is actually a common practice for people who use higher grade sythetics. Many change filters at 3k and oil at ~7k+

i would expect to lose no more than a quart as the oil pan has a built in check valve.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (cmurphy2266)

I am blessed with an auto

Overall (special wrench aside) this is probably one the most accessable motors I've wrenched on.

thanks for the responses, that's pretty much what I expected but feel good having input.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Re: (spiked60)

Quote, originally posted by spiked60 »
I am blessed with an auto

Overall (special wrench aside) this is probably one the most accessable motors I've wrenched on.

thanks for the responses, that's pretty much what I expected but feel good having input.

That's good to know, a friend of mine who was a mechanic was complaining how the auto had some kind of computer box in the way which the oil got all over when he was draining it. I know that the manual is REALLY easy, since it's so small.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

yeah, there is that box on the rear of the oil pan, but that's a few inches off to one side and the drain plug is on the bottom so it doesn't drip and run anywhere.
Overall I wouldn't vote that a big concern really for oil changes.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (crimnlmnded)

I don't think I would call it a common practice, but an odd step that I forced on myself.
I will post my results when I do this, for the next person that contemplates this.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

Quote, originally posted by crimnlmnded »
Me personally I wouldn't do it I believe you will lose alot more than 1/2 qt. to 1 qt. And I never heard of this being common practice murph. anyway good luck.

I've done it, Not to be an a$$, but I think i would have known.

The reason I did it was because my car was leaking oil, and I was panicking, and I realized it was just because I had 2 rubber seals on the oil filter cap.

How many miles are on your S60?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

My last one the '01 had 75,000 before I traded it in and the '04 R I have now has 75,000 as well.
what does this have to do with the subject at hand, I simply said I wouldn't do it and I never heard of this being common practice also you said you think 1/2 qt. to a qt. as if unsure of your numbers, not to be an a$$ either.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

Quote, originally posted by crimnlmnded »
My last one the '01 had 75,000 before I traded it in and the '04 R I have now has 75,000 as well.
what does this have to do with the subject at hand, I simply said I wouldn't do it and I never heard of this being common practice also you said you think 1/2 qt. to a qt. as if unsure of your numbers, not to be an a$$ either.

I wasn't the one who said it was common practice, i've only done it once, and I barely put any extra oil after doing. I was forced into doing it. I thought the same thing, but the guy at the shop I brought it to (I can't get under my car when I'm at school) said it would be fine.

·
Registered
17,009 Posts

Quote, originally posted by cmurphy2266 »
I have, you'll probobly lose like 1/2-1qt at the very most. I don't think you'll lose any more than that. It may make a little mess, but it won't drain off the entire oil pan, it will just drain what is in the filter. Just let the car cool down.

btw, do you have an auto or manual? It's much easier to drain it on a manual volvo.
how is that even true ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.