SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is it exactly 18 miles with city driving? Or does it drain fast when you floor it or try to go faster? The gas tank is pretty small on T8, does it charge the battery while you drive?
Last question to T8 owners, what kind of distance do you get with fully charged battery + full tank on highway (long distance)?

Thanks guys. T8 looks great.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Is it exactly 18 miles with city driving? Or does it drain fast when you floor it or try to go faster? The gas tank is pretty small on T8, does it charge the battery while you drive?
Last question to T8 owners, what kind of distance do you get with fully charged battery + full tank on highway (long distance)?

You can't floor it without engaging the gas engine. You can get moderate pep on electric only but petal to metal will kick on the gas.

The range you get on electric will vary based on speed, stop frequency, elevation profile, ambient temperature, and HVAC use. I would say 15 is a pretty safe minimum 16-17 is average, and 18-20 under fairly ideal conditions. Rumor has it that the 2018 T8 has a bit larger battery, so probably add a couple miles to those guesstimates.

It's been awhile since I did a long trip (will be doing one for apoceclipse tomorrow though!) but I tend to average 25-28 MPG, so 300 miles is a pretty safe bet. Our average in 'normal' use (55 mile commute, nightly charging) is about 450 miles per tank.

·
Registered
372 Posts
15 miles is a very optimistic minimum. I'd say it was an absolute top end best conditions. Flat and gentle with ambient temperature freezing I get as low as 8 miles range. Average around 12-14 miles or so, all flat.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)

I have a T8. Every morning it shows 34km. That would only be achievable with non-stop even speed driving on flat ground. However, the range is enough to drop three kids at two schools, go to work, return via supermarket, and collect kids on way home so most days I don't use fuel.

You will moderate your driving when you go electric to squeeze range. Even with a fifty liter tank, I still show a range of 350km when on full battery and a full tank. We've driven across Europe several times. I don't often feel like I don't have enough fuel capacity which surprised me - I was expecting to feel that. I feel it most when we're driving up mountains to ski. The car sucks petrol on climbs so you do fill up frequently. Day to day, as I say, I'm using electricity so I fill up maybe once a fortnight/three weeks.

Yes the car recovers energy when you brake or cruise. Yes you have the option to use fuel to recharge up to 90% of the battery - you won't do this.

Yes you can use power mode and off-road even when the battery is flat. The engine turns a generator to power the rear wheels. Power mode is fast. You'll like it but there's quite a bit of body roll.

I would definitely buy the T8 again because it really works for my journeys. I also like the refinement of electrical driving a lot, and the T6 isn't pokey enough for my inner boy racer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the replies,
Zaxxon, you mentioned gas engine will engage when you floor it, it is instantaneous for example on an on-ramp or when you make that left turn against traffic after coming to a full stop? I wasn't able to get a T8 for test drive, will try again soon, but it's good to know til then.

tillsbury, 8 miles is a very short distance, but I understand what you mean. That would put it up there with X5 eDrive with it's tiny battery and small engine without the turbo/super chargers T8 has. That's one reason I didn't want X5 eDrive, that plus you can't get 3rd row. I really wonder, is there no room for more battery in these things or is it just safety measure to keep batteries small.

Obnic, thanks, when you say T6 isn't pokey enough, isn't T8 just a T6 when you run out of battery? How does the T8 make it more powerful constantly, if it runs out of battery rather quickly? Or do you keep it in "boost only" where it helps you with get-go add'l boost, but it stays in gas other times (not sure if this is a setting in T8).

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Thanks for the replies,
Zaxxon, you mentioned gas engine will engage when you floor it, it is instantaneous for example on an on-ramp or when you make that left turn against traffic after coming to a full stop? I wasn't able to get a T8 for test drive, will try again soon, but it's good to know til then.

tillsbury, 8 miles is a very short distance, but I understand what you mean. That would put it up there with X5 eDrive with it's tiny battery and small engine without the turbo/super chargers T8 has. That's one reason I didn't want X5 eDrive, that plus you can't get 3rd row. I really wonder, is there no room for more battery in these things or is it just safety measure to keep batteries small.

Obnic, thanks, when you say T6 isn't pokey enough, isn't T8 just a T6 when you run out of battery? How does the T8 make it more powerful constantly, if it runs out of battery rather quickly? Or do you keep it in "boost only" where it helps you with get-go add'l boost, but it stays in gas other times (not sure if this is a setting in T8).
You can accelerate to highway speeds without kicking onto gas if you are careful, especially in Pure mode.

As for your last question, the T8 never really runs out of charge completely. It keeps a small reserve charge available so that if you need to floor it, all 400 hp are available. Similar if you need AWD.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thanks for the replies,
There is a small lag when you try to make a quick maneuver. It takes a little time to get used too. For example if you are on electric and need to make a quick left turn, you are going to want to push the pedal down pretty hard so the car knows you are intending to use gas. There are moments where I feel like the transition from electric to gas is not quick enough.

In my opinion this lag got noticeable after the last big update. The update made it a little easier to stay on electric at higher speeds, but in my opinion also created a small lag while trying to get out of electric.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The lag is what I am afraid of because my last BMW had this lag (E70) they claimed it was turbo lag, but it was a combination of slow downshift, turbo lag, and overall the way vehicle was designed. It improved a lot but the turbo lag was still preset, although much better at lower speeds even from complete stop on newer generation F15. That's why I really don't want to go back to the lag since I am almost 100% city because within the NYC even the highway should be considered city with barely hitting speed limit and with so many on ramps from one the another, combined with exactly 8.5miles (10 miles when I go around traffic) to work, so roughly 20 miles per day round trip, I thought T8 could be for me, but now we are talking about 15 miles under best conditions and about 8 miles with stop & go, I am not sure if T8 is going to work.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The lag is what I am afraid of because my last BMW had this lag (E70) they claimed it was turbo lag, but it was a combination of slow downshift, turbo lag, and overall the way vehicle was designed. It improved a lot but the turbo lag was still preset, although much better at lower speeds even from complete stop on newer generation F15. That's why I really don't want to go back to the lag since I am almost 100% city because within the NYC even the highway should be considered city with barely hitting speed limit and with so many on ramps from one the another, combined with exactly 8.5miles (10 miles when I go around traffic) to work, so roughly 20 miles per day round trip, I thought T8 could be for me, but now we are talking about 15 miles under best conditions and about 8 miles with stop & go, I am not sure if T8 is going to work.
If you are looking at the T8 to save gas money compared to the T6, then it will almost never pay off. The electric aspect of the T8 is fun. But there is a very slim chance you will ever make up the price difference with gas savings.

·
Registered
81 Posts
No, I am not really worried about gas savings aspect, in fact I wished it had a bigger gas engine.
The reason I mentioned my distance is because it would mean I won't have that fun half the distance on my daily commute. So fun on the way to work, no fun way back. :) And Lag is one more thing to consider.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The 8 miles is not a stop and go thing, it's a temperature thing along with the route being an empty road with 100kmh speed limit. If there is no traffic at all I can go 80-85, but if there are other cars on the road I need to maintain 95kmh or so, and that kills range stone dead.

If you are travelling at 50-60kmh with little stop and go the range would be significantly greater.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The 'lag' isn't bad at all in my experience. In the morning it can just think about things for a fraction of a second the first time you call for the engine. But in the same way as you get used to knowing the points for kickdown when you first drive an automatic.

In pure mode in particular, the car tries hard to stay in electric mode. If you are using maximum electric power and ask for a fraction more from the accelerator it won't give you it. When you depress the pedal significantly more it will start the engine. Once you get used to this it's fine. It's not lag (the power comes in instantly). It's a deliberate programming of the response to the pedal so that you don't accidentally engage the engine when you don't want to.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's amazing what a 9 Kw battery will do, I've gone from spending about $50 in gas a week for about 450km in my old sedan to not caring what the gas price is anymore. My last tank on my T8 I got 918 km out of it and it's got a 10L smaller tank and about twice the weight of my old car.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yeah lag isn't really the right word. It takes time for the car to guess what you are intending based on input (throttle). The engine is OFF when you are on electric only. The different modes determine what the formula is to start up the ICE. In Pure mode it really wants to NOT fire up ICE. In Hybrid, it's middle-of-the-spectrum, and in Power mode it just leaves ICE on all the time.

At the same time, the electric is only capable of certain performance - it's plenty, just gradual. If you need much more, the ICE does the majority of the work. Under normal use the transition is seamless - really smooth. Under heavy acceleration, the battery can't provide enough grunt while the engine starts up. It sends 100%, but when ICE finishes and spools up, it takes a partial second and is very powerful - so "Lag."

It's a non-linear acceleration curve. Starts off as steep as the electric can provide and lurches more dramatically since the ICE is so strong. But power is being applied constantly.

·
Registered
821 Posts
One Month Stats

So far I've been charging mid-morning and early evening. It occurs to me that I have no idea what this is costing or indeed how to calculate the cost.
I've had my VOC app operating for 1 month now and here are my stats from the driving journals:

Total kWh consumed: 130.9
Cost per kWH (max rate): $0.1287 (low rate = $0.0858)
Total cost at max rate: $16.85 (low = $11.23)
Total Fuel consumed: 26.7 L
Total Distance traveled: 820 km

The cost of electricity is actually less than what I calculated because I try to charge outside my home (which is usually free) whenever I can on the weekends. Plus, I'll have to check my electricity bill to see if I'm paying the max or low rate (it's based upon consumption). I have yet to purchase any fuel since getting the T8. Before this we were spending about $300 per month on fuel.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've had my VOC app operating for 1 month now and here are my stats from the driving journals:

Total kWh consumed: 130.9
Cost per kWH (max rate): $0.1287 (low rate = $0.0858)
Total cost at max rate: $16.85 (low = $11.23)
Total Fuel consumed: 26.7 L
Total Distance traveled: 820 km

The cost of electricity is actually less than what I calculated because I try to charge outside my home (which is usually free) whenever I can on the weekends. Plus, I'll have to check my electricity bill to see if I'm paying the max or low rate (it's based upon consumption). I have yet to purchase any fuel since getting the T8. Before this we were spending about $300 per month on fuel.
How do you get total KW out of the VOC driving journal? All I get is the start and stop times of each trip.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.