SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok the gaol is 450bhp I know some of you have around this. I know that I will need other mods to achive this. i will have:
Bell FMIC or Equivalant
A-mist
3.5" DP
Cat back
IPD stage III
Bigger turbo
Full suspention upgrades
boost gauge/Temp gauge
Cold air intake of some sort

Ok with this as a base I know there will be more to do than this. My question is how much boost will i have to push to get 450 bhp? I'm not talking exact this is just a guess i'm looking for. this was kinda disscused before i think but im not sure.

I'm a dence bastard

Modified by JKMachine at 12:51 PM 5-23-2007

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
boost doesn't make horsepower.
flow makes horsepower. 800cfm is roughly 550bhp.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (phuz)

That is about 100bhp over my goal.
ok how about this will i have to push anywhere 30 psi to make 450?

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
Re: (JKMachine)

Quote, originally posted by JKMachine »
That is about 100bhp over my goal.
ok how about this will i have to push anywhere 30 psi to make 450?

hmm...on a stock R motor, without improving its flow characteristics, you will probably need around 30psi with an FMIC, DP, exhaust to make it happen...and this is bhp.

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
Re: (JKMachine)

ok by flow characteristics what do you mean?

your intake and exhaust restrictions, cylinder head restrictions, etc.

by improving the capability to flow air, you will make more power at a lower boost level.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
GT42R turbo on 15psi > KKK24 on 30 psi

not that I recommening that turbo.... just an example. A bigger turbo will move more air with less pressure.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: (R_Rated)

Quote, originally posted by R_Rated »
GT42R turbo on 15psi > KKK24 on 30 psi

not that I recommening that turbo.... just an example. A bigger turbo will move more air with less pressure.

And that is safer for our weak cylinder walls correct, lower psi? You just have longer spool up time.

Were Boosted and ArtVandelay running bigger turbos or stock when they busted?

Me, I just want 400 bhp (33% increase over stock), and I would like to do it from stock turbo, just need FMIC/aquamist, and perhaps IPD or RICA tune designed to take advantage of all my mods.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Re: ("R" Kelly)

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »

And that is safer for our weak cylinder walls correct, lower psi? You just have longer spool up time.

Were Boosted and ArtVandelay running bigger turbos or stock when they busted?

Me, I just want 400 bhp (33% increase over stock), and I would like to do it from stock turbo, just need FMIC/aquamist, and perhaps IPD or RICA tune designed to take advantage of all my mods.

boosted had a stock turbo and Art had a GT3071R. heat and high HP is bad for our cylinder walls. I don't think that a bigger turbo with less boost is any safer. Sonmeonoe like Blot or Scott Hart would be a better resource than myself to answer this in better detail.

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
PSI is a measure of restriction, regardless of turbo size....the more restriction = the more PSI created. adding a bigger turbo doesn't reduce the restriction at all!

the reason you make more HP on a bigger turbo is because it has the capability to support the higher flow in the high end....aka hold a preset boost level until redline, whereas a smaller turbo (ie stock) will run out of air and the boost level falls off.

if you simply swap the turbo without improving the flow capability of the engine itself, for example, at 10psi, 3000 rpms, you are going to flow the same amount of air regardless of what snail you have under your hood.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Re: How much BOOST to achive 450bhp (JKMachine)

Quote, originally posted by R Rated »
Art had a GT3071R

Edit: It's actually a MTE 450hp Turbo. End Edit

I had been driving on the autobahn for 45 minutes going very fast when it happened.

What every one else said about flow is correct. On my turbo I set the boost level the same as what just about every other R with an ECU targets: 20-21 psi. However I have much more flow at these boost levels. Also, I am capable of producing much more heat than stock setups. At 20-22 psi you really should not be on the throttle with max boost for more than 30 seconds at a time.

Heat build-up over time is the "Achilles Heel" of my setup. Combined with higher boost & more flow, its recipe for disaster, especially if not all your other parts are functioning correctly.

Get yourself some temperature gauges in your list as well, be it EGT, Water, Oil.

Modified by ArtVandelay0023 at 12:04 PM 9-7-2007

·
Registered
356 Posts
Re: ("R" Kelly)

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »

And that is safer for our weak cylinder walls correct, lower psi?

30psi is much much more pressure. More pressure = More heat = a bad situation unless you have the parts to control it such as A-mist or oil cooler or aftermarket radiator or more importantly, cylinder walls that are thick enough to take the abuse. The R's walls are very thin. If you're thinking about 30 psi then think about cylinder sleeves or go with a 2005+ T5 engine

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: How much BOOST to achive 450bhp (ArtVandelay0023)

so in your case art would it be good/bad to have a way to switch your boost levels from 20-21psi to say 10 or so for long distances? I have seen ways to do this but i do not remember the names of them.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (ArtVandelay0023)

ok i think i'm understanding all your coments. let me see if i get this right.

with the proper parts and preperation i could get 450bhp and hot have to push alot of boost

alot of boost is bad if you do not have a way to control it and defanitly bad in our engines!

·
Registered
356 Posts

would it be good/bad to have a way to switch your boost levels from 20-21psi to say 10 or so for long distances?

Like a boost controller? From what I've gathered from people who are much much smarter than me & are the subject matter experts on this... NOT a good idea with our ECU's.

I can (if I want) fiddle with the boost valve (blot has this too) to set a max boost setting threshold at 10 psi, but once set I couldn't change it while driving. I'd have to get out of the car, and twist the knob back.

I don't need to worry about it... you get used to sensing how much boost you're running after a while based on the simultaneous feeling in your butt & looking at the gauge. The gauge is in my face the entire time anyway so long distance driving is not a problem. I just can't be at 21psi, @ 5000-6000 rpm, going 145+ mph for very long thats all. I haven't tested this out yet but I think I can cruise at 130 mph and have the boost gauge at zero. I assume you can keep going constant like that until it runs out of gas with no problems. I think blot has done trips like this if I'm not mistaken

·
Registered
10,560 Posts

You'd need a boost controller, or an on-the-fly flash (although companies that do that w/ the VW's tell you to stop driving when changing over). As no software company for the Volvos does that, you'd need a controller.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: How much BOOST to achive 450bhp (AthruC)

would this work?

Product Description

Compact design, will fit in the palm of your hand. This unit provides fast boost response with two adjustable boost levels. Just toggle between high and low on the fly. Ideal for replacing factory boost controllers. Low and high Boost settings are fully adjustable Detent System for ease of adjustment Gated System to bring boost on faster. Includes Rocket Launcher Switch and fitting hardware

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: How much BOOST to achive 450bhp (ArtVandelay0023)

SO, lets say i have all the mods stated in the original post minus the big turbo could i use this manual boost controller to lower my boost to say 10spi for long hauls? would this be a good thing to do or not?

another question would it be bad to drop the boost to almost nothing with this thing for say a friend uses your car or soomething.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Has anyone used something like this to create a "travel" mode for the R? Like what I'm imagining is a slow-mode setting that you could use while travelling on vacation for instance, to get better gas mileage? Would it work that simply? Or would the turbo still pull the same power from the engine actually reducing mileage?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts