SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just arrived back at the FDC. Picked up our S60 on August 22. Drove from Gothenburg to Oslo then to Flam and from there to Bergen. Took the ferry from Bergen to Hirtshals and drove to Copenhagen. Then it was back to Gothenburg. Total distance driven 1,090 miles. Average MPG was 28.7. Arrived at the FDC driving on fumes.

Was wondering what others have gotten (MPG) on their OSD adventurwe?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just arrived back at the FDC. Picked up our S60 on August 22. Drove from Gothenburg to Oslo then to Flam and from there to Bergen. Took the ferry from Bergen to Hirtshals and drove to Copenhagen. Then it was back to Gothenburg. Total distance driven 1,090 miles. Average MPG was 28.7. Arrived at the FDC driving on fumes.

Was wondering what others have gotten (MPG) on their OSD adventurwe?
Our onboard readout indicated 30.1 MPG for the full 1714 miles. We too were on fumes. The tank was magically full when we picked up the car at the dealer in the states.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Our onboard readout indicated 30.1 MPG for the full 1714 miles. We too were on fumes. The tank was magically full when we picked up the car at the dealer in the states.
Lucky you. I had to remind my dealer. I'll not mention their name because my sales critter was out the day I picked up... He took care of the "issue" when I went back to get my spare tire.

My MPG varied (normal highway vs city vs autobahn-130-MPH) but was respectable. I made a point of returning the car with very little fuel remaining.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I averaged around 25-26 in my C30, I was thinking it would be better but can't complain considering my average speeds were probably pretty high for the most part and we did a considerable amount of city driving too. I was enjoying the Polestar upgrade a bit too much in some areas for sure (including the autobahn where I didn't average much over 16-17mpg).

BTW - that average was across 5 countries and 2261 miles total.

·
Registered
347 Posts
We averaged about 28 mpg on a route similar to the OP. Those mountain roads north of Oslo often slowed us down to 35-45 mph...even slower when the back roads narrowed down to one lane with pullouts. There were some close calls with buses and trucks whose drivers knew the roads better. Our fender scrape was on the passenger side above the rear wheel and we did not notice it until we turned the car back in. The factory body shop fixed it (>$1100) before it was put on the ship.

On our long drive home from the dealer the speedo display hovered around 28 mpg on 87 octane gas, In Scandinavia 93-95 was the lowest octane gas available and should, in theory, have yielded better mpg.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
We averaged about 28 mpg on a route similar to the OP. Those mountain roads north of Oslo often slowed us down to 35-45 mph...even slower when the back roads narrowed down to one lane with pullouts. There were some close calls with buses and trucks whose drivers knew the roads better. Our fender scrape was on the passenger side above the rear wheel and we did notice it until we turned the car back in. The factory body shop fixed it (>$1100) before it was put on the ship.

On our long drive home from the dealer the speedo display hovered around 28 mpg on 87 octane gas, In Scandinavia 93-95 was the lowest octane gas available and should, in theory, have yielded better mpg.
Sorry to hear about the pain.

I believe octane calculations are different in Europe and the US.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

@David: What Octane are you using in your S60???

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
@David: What Octane are you using in your S60???
Plain old name-brand regular unleaded 10% ETOH. I'm averaging 26-27 mpg (calculated), mixed highway/city, and while I'm not a crazy kid, I'm not a slowpoke driver.

The dash display hovers in the low/mid 30's on the highway, the Sensus MPG tends to be about 0.2 lower.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Plain old name-brand regular unleaded 10% ETOH. I'm averaging 26-27 mpg (calculated), mixed highway/city, and while I'm not a crazy kid, I'm not a slowpoke driver.

The dash display hovers in the low/mid 30's on the highway, the Sensus MPG tends to be about 0.2 lower.
So 87 then, right? Have you ever considered say 89 and check performance/milage???

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
So 87 then, right? Have you ever considered say 89 and check performance/milage???
Yes, 87. I haven't thought about 89 since the car runs well on the cheaper gas.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Yes 95 in Europe is equal to around 87-89 octane in the US. I got 95 most of the time, wondering if 98 would have brought better MPG?

I also noticed in Germany they had many more fuel selections (one being Super 100)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Pittsburgh Pa to Roanoke Va - 350 miles - 34mpg. Much better than I would have thought. I am very pleased.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Yes 95 in Europe is equal to around 87-89 octane in the US. I got 95 most of the time, wondering if 98 would have brought better MPG?

I also noticed in Germany they had many more fuel selections (one being Super 100)
I could be wrong but I think European 95 is about 91 octane in the U.S. and 98 is about 94-95 octane. Shell sometimes has a 100 octane VPower available in Europe as do a few other brands.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Pittsburgh Pa to Roanoke Va - 350 miles - 34mpg. Much better than I would have thought. I am very pleased.
Nice.........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts