SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
There are a couple previous threads on the site about this. Do a search and they will pop up. But, mine currently has 182,000 miles, is a 2007 V8 Sport, and is about to get its first transmission fluid change. The original owner never got it changed, and it is starting to not shift properly. Not a big difference, but I'm a details person. The original owner had to change the ignition switch (under warranty at 30k miles), and I have changed the front strut mount bushings. I will also be replacing all the other bushings and tie rods ends. No major issues so far (knock on wood!), and the V8's are known for their reliability.

There are also the 2.5T and the T6 engines. The 2.5 is relatively on par with the I6, but the T6 is something to stay away from. Bad trannies are a major concern for owners. The engine was great, but the transmission couldn't handle it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2008 XC90 V8 (with a muffler delete), family owned since new, about to hit 117k. Recurring problem with the brakes squeaking, already replaced once by the dealership for free because they couldn't diagnose the problem. Serpentine belt, bearings, and idle pulleys ($600 through mechanic friend, $1100 quoted by Volvo) replaced for whining noise during startup, although the these parts were not the issue and the problem is still unresolved. Common XC90 problem of popping noise in the front suspension, yet to be replaced. Tailgate lift supports also gave out a few months ago (replaced, ~$110). One of the seats in the third row has issues with folding down sometimes (release mechanism in the seat). The blower motor (quoted as $1800 by Volvo) and rear struts (not sure on price) are also going to need replacing at some point. Other than being backed into in a parking lot (light front bumper damage) and a rock on the highway breaking one of the fog lights, no accidents and running well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
2004 XC90 T6 155,000 miles, runs like new.
Very few problems. 110,00 miles rear wheel bearings. A/C fan resister around same time. Replaced timing belt 105,000 miles. Go with ceramic brake pads, last three times as long as Volvo pads without any rotor wear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just Clocked 150020 on my 2007 3.2, so far I've had a clogged fuel pump strainer which made the vehicle hesitate and bog down(dirty fuel obviously), R.E.A.D alternator screw came loose, replaced the A/c compressor @130k miles it mysteriously stopped cooling also replaced front struts and cambers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had our xc90 2007 v8 for 4 months now. Purchased with 102,000km since clocked up 10,000 with muffler delete. Trany ishues after towing a large boat and 3000km of highway use. I added the towbar but it hasn't a trans cooler. Planning on adding one soon. Performed a trany flush and it's back to normal again. Minor leak from sunroof but was due to previous owner crushing the drain pipe in the front pillar. Brakes squeak a little occasionally. Which I need to investigate further. Current pads which were new when we got the car dump heaps of dust. I need to clean it of mags weekly. Car came with a spare wood grain shifter not sure why can't see a fault with either. No other faults to report so far. Car had a full service history with volvo dealer in Sydney.

Anthony bossy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We had to replace the starter and alternator on our 2008 V8 Sport, with now about 130k miles. I was disappointed because:
* The V8 is supposed to be reliable.
* I also drive a 1991 Mercedes 300SE with now 205k miles and I haven't replaced any of those yet.

·
Registered
205 Posts
We had to replace the starter and alternator on our 2008 V8 Sport, with now about 130k miles. I was disappointed because:
* I also drive a 1991 Mercedes 300SE with now 205k miles and I haven't replaced any of those yet.
carlos, what were the damages on the alternator and starter replacements?

·
Registered
164 Posts
179K on 2005 2.5T. Only things since our ownership in about 50K miles were fuel pump, fuel pressure sensor, and driver's side axle (torn boot).

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Assuming you replaced the alternator at 130,000 miles, considering that this car has that many miles and is now 8 years old, that is pretty good.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
face it, you got a lemon! :)

Join the club. I had to replace the front struts at 124,000, and I replaced a battery and spark plugs too. What a POS

·
Registered
416 Posts
Pushing 76k on my 2007 Sport, purchased new. Repairs that I can remember:

Fuel filler door
Angle gear
Starter
Front axles (2x)
Transmission
Radiator
Motor mount
Power steering pump
Front suspension bushings
IAQS sensor
Pressure sensor for AWD

Aside from that, it's been just tires, brakes and wiper blades! :p

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
176k on my 2008 3.2. Engine is still running strong and am now due for suspension overhaul. I have done 116k in 3 years 3 months and have had the AC compressor replaced, front axles, front muffler and airbox.

out side of that she's been good. Most of the repairs were under CPO warranty and mostly because the servicing dept from he previous owner did more damage than good when performing TSBs.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
V8 2008 Executive.

Has 130k now no significant repairs just regular maintenance and one set of new brakes front and rear...

·
Registered
130 Posts
around 95k miles on 08 3.2. it has needed a radiator fan, a/c compressor, rear hubs, front control arms, and had a small oil leak that was easy to fix. the first 2 items were probably because where I live the a/c is running 8 mos. a year. they were not cheap.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
carlos, what were the damages on the alternator and starter replacements?
Mines an '07 V8 with 60k.

Starter cost my nearly $600 to DIY at about 55k, and what a pain in the can to access. Insult to injury was it only needed bushings (I took it apart to inspect), no repair parts are available, even took it to an old school starter/alternator repair guy to see if any other Denso starters had bushings that were dimensionally close enough, no dice. No options other than OEM. And everybody wants a core charge. Almost hung on to the old one anyway to have bronze bushings turned at a machine shop, but decided room in the garage was more important.

Sure hope the alternator won't be a similar experience, but stil LOVE the car.

Threw the serp belt a few weeks ago, thankfully the pulley bearings are common stuff. Great fun getting the belt routed and on... And that 'F'-in tensioner...

·
Registered
656 Posts
And:
* Is it the V8 or I6?
* ?
Neither.

Mines an 05 with the 5cyl turbo .....

104,000 miles.

Repairs so far have been new nivomat shocks $700,
Front struts and new ac condenser, ac was dead when I bought it.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts