SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked this question on different forums and have always been impressed at the range of answers folks have given. If you've got an S60 / V60, how long do you plan on holding on to it? Until the lease runs out? Until it's paid off? Until the warranty runs out? Or until it costs more to maintain than it's worth?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Our plan is 4 more years (6.5 years total) which at its current pace would put it at 180k. We will evaluate if its still reliable at that point and drive it further or buy a new one.

·
Registered
576 Posts
10 Maybe 15 yrs approx 10K miles per yr. Car was a gift so all I have in it is all the mods in my sig. (more to come!) Now 26 months old W/22.5K miles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Probably three but I may try and hold it for 4 years. Problem is new model comes out and I usually sale while I can still get a decent dollar for the car.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Until maintenance cost gets too high. Had our 2001 MB C240 for 160,000 + miles. I'm hoping our "little meatball" does better than the sausage.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Other way round - just got a '16 V60 RD - first new Volvo since '98 V70 AWD, which we had for seven years and 240k km (150k miles). However, it's our fourth Volvo: each of the other two bought at more than 160k km and sold (my current '07 V70R pending) at more than four years and 320k km.
So, we tend to put 40k km on per year (soccer parents and have farm 200 km outside town) and like this one so far - either two or ten years plus.

P.S.: The T6 RD doesn't have electric steering, which means no 'self driving app', which means maybe two years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I usually keep a car until one of 3 happens,
1. I get tired of it.
2. Becomes a problem child.
3. Until something better catches my eye.

Since I'm having issues with oil consumption, number 2 is slowly creeping up. Otherwise I plan to keep it until Volvo builds their Concept Coupe or until someone else does.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My car, at 4 years old now, has been completely paid off and I plan to keep it 4 more years (give or take). At the rate I'm driving will have less than 100K miles by then.
I doubt it will become a headache at that point but I will start looking for a change.
Buying a brand new car every 3-4 years is a major waste of money.

·
Registered
14,377 Posts
I keep cars for 4 years. Or six months, what ever comes first.
Haha, my sentiments exactly.

I'd like to think I'd hold on to one for longer but I tend to get bored quickly and will typically find some inane excuse to justify getting something else. Maybe this one will be different but I tend to doubt it. Next vehicle on my radar screen will be some sort of Polestar model on the SPA platform.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Next vehicle on my radar screen will be some sort of Polestar model on the SPA platform.
Enjoy the Polestar SPA wait. I couldn't wait for the end of this decade for them to appear (IMHO) so instead bought one of the inline 6 Polestars. Very happy with Polestar's additional engineering over the R-design!

I'll keep my V60 for 10+ years and whatever mileage I rack up having fun driving it like the beast it is. :)

My 850 has delivered 22 years and 175k miles. I expect similar longevity with my V60.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I'm keeping it until my youngest is out of college :)

(So, three more years, knock wood.)

·
Registered
251 Posts
4 years or so. Mine will exceed 100K by then at the rate I drive, and will be out of certified warranty coverage.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm going to try to keep my 2015 until at least the 5-5-5 is up. I've never been been able to resist a new vehicle that long, but I'm enjoying this R-Design so much. And this MY, in my opinion, ends the " six cylinder non-Internet on wheels" era. And I
want to keep appreciating that with every spirited drive!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I kept my 04 S60R until 180K so, plan is to keep my wife's 2012 S60 T6 currently at 38,000 miles to at least 150K and since she drives 8-9,000 miles a year; it'll be 10 yrs. plus. As for my 2012 S60 T6 R-Design, currently at 28,500 miles, and 15,000 miles a year plan is keeping it until it hits 200K. Both vehicles are CPO; hers 100K or 08/20 and mine 100K or 02/21.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD, ‘17 BMW M240i
782 Posts
I have no idea. I leased this one because a) I have a poor track record for figuring out what I'm going to want/need for the long-haul and b) I really wanted to give Drive-E a shot without having to wring my hands over any potential issues (real or imagined) with the early drive trains. One year in I still really, really, really like it. Despite being ludicrously, pathologically sensitive to mechanical stuff I've only picked up a couple of very minor quirks and have generally grown to trust it. As a result I think I enjoy having it even more than I did when I first brought it home. More importantly it meets every expectation I had for it in terms of comfort, driveability, style, etc. But things could change in two years and I really don't want to get into the habit of always leasing new cars. So I'll be considering my options carefully.

My historical averages are to either buy new and keep it for about 100k mi or to buy used and keep it for more like half that. If I were a betting man I'd put my money on turning in the S60 and buying a CPO something or other with a long roof in hopes of finally owning something that will live up to the impossible, idealized-by-time standards of my old 745.

·
Registered
274 Posts
This is my first (well technically second if you count the lemon) car and it's a lease, so I'm at the mercy of my parents when it expires. They're either going to buy it out or lease something else. If they buy it, I'll keep it until I can afford something new and comparable. If they don't, I'll probably get another S60, or the Tesla Model 3 if its out by then.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I usually don't have a goal, but I do want to keep my current car for as long as possible. I'm definitely a buy, not a lease, type of consumer. If and when the cost to repair outweighs the value, that's usually when I throw in the towel. Hopefully by then, the Drive-E engines will be more refined and clear of their initial problems. I'm also holding my breath for a high-performance, 450hp Polestar SPA S60. Even when I do take the plunge for the newer model, as long as it's in good working order, I plan on holding onto my current car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts