SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my xc90 the car goes 20,000 km's before it says time for regular maintenance. And the oil looks brown not black! The oil in the Xc90 is standard oil not synthetic. Should i be changing the oil sooner?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I do synthetic every 7500 miles (maintenance light). The darkness of the oil has everything to do with he quality of the oil being used. Basically, the detergents and cleaners are doing their job to keep the crap out of the engine and the oil is carrying it out as you change it. What kind of oil are you using?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Its a 2007. The oil is used at the dealer. I don't change the oil myself. I think its Castrol GTX. I don't know why the light "Time for regular maintenance" didn't go on. But 3 days ago it went on and i checked the oil and it was a bit low so i bought Mobil oil and added some which took the whole litre. It was the weekend so the service dept. was closed so ill be getting an oil change this week. The Castrol GTX isn't synthetic.

Sometimes the light goes on earlier or later. It probably has to do with how hard your pushing the engine in rpm.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have changed the oil in my 2010 XC90 every 6,000 km, religiously since purchasing it new. Yes, its overboard, but I want to make sure that this engine lasts forever.
Currently the car has 79,000 kms. I have used Castrol 0w30 (German Synthetic) for every oil change, except for the last one, where I used Mobil 1 Synthec 5w30.
I also use a magnetic drain plug. Great little investment too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts