SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

This is for fun...

"How Low Can You Go?!" is about using every last drop of fuel left in the tank. Of course the T8 drivers are snickering.

I really pushed it today - more than I ever have! I was just doing the return home commute from work...20 miles. With my 2018 T6 XC60, I left work this evening with a "Low Fuel Level - Distance to Empty 20 miles" displayed in the Instrument Panel, in the morning during my commute ( I had a busy weekend and an early morning commitment, so I ignored it. ) But on my commute home, only after about 5 minutes, the display changed to Distance to Empty 10 miles" Oh, I immediately put the car in ECO mode when leaving the work parking lot. Which did help when merging on the busy highway. So I feathered the gas and coasted around the speed limit. Which is not difficult in the congested commute traffic of the Bay Area.

Only in the last 3 miles was I worried...the display changed to Distance to Empty - - miles" (no numerical value) The offramp can be 30 cars deep for the traffic signal light which would mean lots of idling, but since in ECO Mode, I figured I was OK. But does a restart use more gas than idling? Hmmm?

The destination gas station was a Costco, less than 1 mile from my normal highway offramp. But more traffic around 6pm. Hmmm, will it restart when I press the accelerator? Whew! Yep.

The Costco Gas Station was not as busy. So, I quickly was able to fill up with their "Top Tier" fuel with is 91 Octane.

The fuel pump display screen showed 18.448 gallons* was dispensed. And the US Specs for a 2018 XC60 T6 show the fuel tank capacity at 18.5 Gallons. So, phew Again!

Results may vary...

All of us on Swedespeed need to remember (when posting and reading) that there are a few different engines in the the SPA XC60s, and fuel formulations vary by geography - both within a country and in other countries. I am in Northern California and the common high octane is 91, so that is what I use. And of course everyone has different driving habits, which is very likely the most contributing factor to fuel usage.

And there are those who are on the utmost fuel economy path....driving 55mph in 60+ zones and coasting whenever possible. As well as logging mileage with notebooks and apps. Hey, that's cool, but I have never embarked on that mentality. That said, all of these variables need to be considered when talking/diatribing on MPGs and fuel usage discussions.

[ * $3.63 and 9/10ths (US) per gallon for 91 Octane on AUG 05 2019 ]

[ I almost posted on the fuel related thread, https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?603727-XC60-T5-Fuel-Consumption, but figured I didn't want to derail any data gathering for the OP and T5s, and I was slightly only topic adjacent.]

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Thanks for the experiment. Glad you didn't try to drive around the gas station to see how lowwwww it can really go. :)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You use way more fuel idling when stopped vs. restarting via s/s.

It is not even close.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
So you could’ve driven another 10 miles!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
$3.63/gal seems pretty cheap for top tier 91 octane in CA, especially given that you guys now have one of the highest gas taxes in the nation. Here in SC, we enjoy one of the lowest gas taxes and I recently paid $3.25/gal for top tier 89 octane, ethanol free BP. Admittedly, I could have got it there for less if I paid cash.

I also noticed something early on with my XC60. While the low fuel idiot light illuminates when the gas gauge reaches the lowest bar, the bar changes color to red when things get "critical". Even then, I have found that I have apx. 2-3 gallons remaining.

·
Registered
76 Posts
$3.63/gal seems pretty cheap for top tier 91 octane in CA, especially given that you guys now have one of the highest gas taxes in the nation. Here in SC, we enjoy one of the lowest gas taxes and I recently paid $3.25/gal for top tier 89 octane, ethanol free BP. Admittedly, I could have got it there for less if I paid cash.

I also noticed something early on with my XC60. While the low fuel idiot light illuminates when the gas gauge reaches the lowest bar, the bar changes color to red when things get "critical". Even then, I have found that I have apx. 2-3 gallons remaining.
I'm surprised you're having to pay $3.25 for 89 octane in SC to be honest. I just paid $3.00 for 93 octane in Indiana, which is usually quite a bit more for comparable gas.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

Why 89 octane? Doesn’t your Drive-E require 91?

Don’t all SPA class Volvo’s require 91 at a minimum with 93 recommended?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Mine is not an SPA. Owner's manual recommended minimum is 87 octane. Top tier, ethanol free 87 is difficult to find where I live. 89 is as close as I can find. Car runs well on it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The fuel pump display screen showed 18.448 gallons* was dispensed. And the US Specs for a 2018 XC60 T6 show the fuel tank capacity at 18.5 Gallons. So, phew Again!
Great story, thanks for that.

The only time I've ever done something similar was with a 2008 Honda CR-V. The display told me I had 1 mile range left, and it stayed that way for the final 9 miles until I got to the gas station.
So I think car manufacturers understand us better than we understand ourselves!

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,842 Posts
Us T8 folks don't necessarily sniker lol :p
For your short commute stuff sure, wouldn't burn a drop and that handful of fuel miles left would last for weeks, but for longer trips it's a little more fun:
I was pretty amazed to have 29.7 mpg on a T5 highway range recently on a trip to Niagara Falls, ON. Also I've been several other places since then that backs up that range.

I know the T6 is slightly less mpg but add in the battery and it should be an easy feat to get from SD to SJ, I'd think. The gamble is how well it works over the mountains.

I just got back from the Appalachians and I can attest that it does make a huge dent due to mountain and traffic. Despite that, on a 374 mile trip through the mountains and back home, I still had 1/4 tank left.

I'd love to see how a T5 paired with electric would work.

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
I was pretty amazed to have 29.7 mpg on a T5 highway range recently on a trip to Niagara Falls, ON. Also I've been several other places since then that backs up that range.

I know the T6 is slightly less mpg but add in the battery and it should be an easy feat to get from SD to SJ, I'd think. The gamble is how well it works over the mountains.

I just got back from the Appalachians and I can attest that it does make a huge dent due to mountain and traffic. Despite that, on a 374 mile trip through the mountains and back home, I still had 1/4 tank left.

I'd love to see how a T5 paired with electric would work.
There is a V60 T6 Twin Engine (means T5 + e-motor) that VCUSA don't import to US.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts