SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, for how long, what years, did Volvo manufacture the S80 V8 and were they all AWD's? Thanks, Ralph

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mark, I did that but didn't scroll down far enough. So 2006-2010, correct? Ralph

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
They're all AWD, yes. Model year 2007 (the one introduced in 2006) had haldex generation III whereas model year 2008-2011 had generation IV.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Everyone who's ever driven a V8 seems to agree it's the best engine fitted to a Volvo. But I can see why it was discontinued. For one thing, the old T6 (B6304T2) with 285 hp could be polestared to 315 hp and 440 Nm which is the same as the V8. Same performance at better fuel economy. With MY11, the first model year without the V8, the updated T6 (B6304T4) was introduced with 304 hp and 440 Nm and much lower fuel consumption. Guess it didn't make sense to keep the V8 given that you'd get the same performance for much less fuel.

Edit: I think the V8 was introduced with MY05 in the XC90s which means that by 2010 it was an at least six year old engine that, as far as I know, underwent no changes at all during its lifespan (except for the early MY05 that had issues with failing). It was sort of old whereas the new T6 was more powerful, just reworked and more economical.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Everyone who's ever driven a V8 seems to agree it's the best engine fitted to a Volvo. But I can see why it was discontinued. For one thing, the old T6 (B6304T2) with 285 hp could be polestared to 315 hp and 440 Nm which is the same as the V8. Same performance at better fuel economy. With MY11, the first model year without the V8, the updated T6 (B6304T4) was introduced with 304 hp and 440 Nm and much lower fuel consumption. Guess it didn't make sense to keep the V8 given that you'd get the same performance for much less fuel.

Edit: I think the V8 was introduced with MY05 in the XC90s which means that by 2010 it was an at least six year old engine that, as far as I know, underwent no changes at all during its lifespan (except for the early MY05 that had issues with failing). It was sort of old whereas the new T6 was more powerful, just reworked and more economical.
FWIW, I actually (barely) prefer our 2011+ T6 motor to our V8. The T6 actually has way more torque in the 1800-3600 RPM range, which is where you are most of the time. V8 only hits 325 lb-ft at 3900 RPM. At 2000 RPM, the V8 only makes 235 lb-ft, while the T6 is right there at peak torque already. The mileage of the T6 is also better - even though our XC70 is taller and heavier, it gets noticeably better MPG than our S80 V8.

Only true advantages of the V8 are factory exhaust sound (easy to fix with some muffler replacements on the T6) and top end HP (barely - plus the Polestar or other tune will but the T6 well ahead here also).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, I'm loving my 07. Wish I could post some pics but don't seem to have the capability or that feature is not turned on for me. Ralph

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
You could upload them to a site like imgur.com.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
FWIW, I actually (barely) prefer our 2011+ T6 motor to our V8. The T6 actually has way more torque in the 1800-3600 RPM range, which is where you are most of the time. V8 only hits 325 lb-ft at 3900 RPM. At 2000 RPM, the V8 only makes 235 lb-ft, while the T6 is right there at peak torque already. The mileage of the T6 is also better - even though our XC70 is taller and heavier, it gets noticeably better MPG than our S80 V8.

Only true advantages of the V8 are factory exhaust sound (easy to fix with some muffler replacements on the T6) and top end HP (barely - plus the Polestar or other tune will but the T6 well ahead here also).
I was looking for another post and I stumbled across your reply which I must've missed.

I have, as I've probably said lots of times before, put a few miles on a MY14 T6 which played a huge role in me getting an S80 V8. Another role was that the V8's were way cheaper to buy partly because the T6 wasn't introduced until MY08 and partly because nobody dares buy a fuel thirsty car in these days of diesel hype.

As I recall the V8 was a pretty big bummer to me for the first one or two months or so I owned it. But now I sort of get it. The only thing that would make me want a T6 over a V8 is probably if it's a new enough model year for it to have one of the snappier gearboxes (MY13 XC70 T6 is 0.5 s slower to 100 km/h than a MY14). Other then that, not really. And yes, the exhaust sound does play a big part. A lot of people seem to point out the high RPM idle when you cold start it. I think it sounds hollow and honestly pretty weird. The other day though I got stuck with an old 240 on a grass field and I got pulled free by my own V8. That was a pretty beautiful sound, hearing the engine growl at pretty low RPMs.

The T6 felt more sleeper being a Volvo that consumed very little fuel in relation to being a 6-cyl 300 hp car. I got the trip computer down to 7.8 l/100 km after about 50 km of cruising down old highroads I think at speeds of 70-90 km/h. (30 MPG, 31 mi and 44-56 MPH respectively).

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Nothing sounds better than these Volvo/Yamaha V8's with a bit of exhaust modifications!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I've never heard either a T6 or V8 with a sport exhaust (or any exhaust mod) in real life and in the youtube videos I can't really tell the difference all too well. I think it's loud enough when I cold start it and when you put your foot down. The only reason I'd change it would be for the performance. I've heard a sport exhaust together with a RICA tune gives about 350-360 bhp. But other than that, no.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts