SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an informal pool to see what clutch (plate/disc), flywheel, hp/torque, and how many miles on it. If more than one list them all.

Can we get some data that shows that performance clutches have shorter lives?

I know that driving style affects the results, but lets assume that R owners can shift a manual, that they like to drive their cars "vigorously", but they aren't a bunch of jerks that trash their cars.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My clutch lasted 120K miles. Actually the clutch was fine, but the slave cylinder started to leak around that mileage. Stock. No added HP.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
AFAIK mine is original at 288k miles. Scary I know!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Changed at 175k due to a noisy flywheel it so I thought. Was still okay at the time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Not an R but my V70 T5 has quite a few mods (see signature); it is a MY01, 156,500 miles and original clutch.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I modified my car around the 50K mile mark, clutch was still in great shape at 145K miles but then the slave died so I replaced everything but the flywheel.

If you don't abuse it too badly the OEM clutch is long lived which is why I'm putting the same back in and only getting rid of the DMF.

·
Registered
30 Posts
2007 S60R with no performance modifications. Slave cylinder was replaced at 48k, but the stock clutch is still going strong at 80k.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OEM clutch and flywheel for the first 75k miles - it started to slip but only while heavy towing on 10% grade. Changed because of an opportunity. It still had about 10-15k left.

SPEC 2+ clutch and OEM flywheel for the next 65k - needs replacement badly.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Its true that you may hear some transmission rattle since the DMF isn't damping the power pulses like it normally does. I went with the spec flywheel in part because I'll trade a little chatter for a lighter flywheel. Less rotating mass = faster acceleration.

·
Registered
675 Posts
130k on stock clutch

·
Registered
608 Posts
Replaced my clutch right after I purchased the car with 111k. No idea on the driving style before, but it did have a trailer hitch installed. The clutch was almost worn to the rivets and the bearings in the slave sounded like they were about to come apart.

I also had the pleasure of replacing the AWD collar and angle gear at the same time.

·
Registered
240 Posts
For what its worth, my friends dad had 320k on the original clutch of his 04R before it was unfortunately totaled a few months ago. (150 mile round trip work commute)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Original clutch replaced at 64kmiles when slave went bad, but clutch was fine (fixed under warranty).
Now at 202kmiles with second OEM clutch; pulls strong, no problems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts