SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this past weekend on of my rear brakes started grinding. Turns out one of the inner pads had worn down completely and was grinding the backing plate to the rotor. There wasn't any squeaking or notification ahead of time.

Those pads had about 18 k miles on them. The rear pads measured 6 mm 18 k ago an now are at zero. The fronts went from 6 mm to 4 mm in that time frame.

The dealer said it was normal and that the rear pads are used heavily during braking to level the car.

My question is, how long have your pads lasted? Have your rears worn out before the fronts? Looks like I'll DIY the fronts because I don't want to pay the dealer rate of $200 per hour.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
553 Posts
Rear pads in my car will have to be changed around 27-28k miles. Reading this board, you'll learn that Adaptive Cruise Control will utilize rear braking only, thus, wearing them out at a disproportionate rate than the fronts. It seems to be the new "normal"...at least for Volvo. I'll DYI my rear pads as well in, mainly because the dealer also wants to change my discs...even though there's hardly any wear on them.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hey everyone, this past weekend on of my rear brakes started grinding. Turns out one of the inner pads had worn down completely and was grinding the backing plate to the rotor. There wasn't any squeaking or notification ahead of time.

Those pads had about 18 k miles on them. The rear pads measured 6 mm 18 k ago an now are at zero. The fronts went from 6 mm to 4 mm in that time frame.

The dealer said it was normal and that the rear pads are used heavily during braking to level the car.

My question is, how long have your pads lasted? Have your rears worn out before the fronts? Looks like I'll DIY the fronts because I don't want to pay the dealer rate of $200 per hour.

Dealer just did 20K service on our 2018V90cc.
10 mm on fronts
7 mm on rears.
I know they are correct because when I got the car back I rotated the tires and I measured them myself.
Inside rears "might" be 6.5 mm

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weird then, I don't use adaptive cruise. So I paid $875 for new rotors and pads. I'll just do the brakes myself. I was hoping Volvo would have covered it under warranty since it wore so quickly

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think Volvo got burned when they offered the “Safe and Sound” program a few years ago, when just about everything was covered under warranty, including brakes! I used to get my wiper blades replaced every 6 months on my XC70...had all the brakes done at 25k!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Volvo got burned when they offered the “Safe and Sound” program a few years ago, when just about everything was covered under warranty, including brakes! I used to get my wiper blades replaced every 6 months on my XC70...had all the brakes done at 25k!
I've had my brakes replaced under warranty for warpage. So this is the second set of rear rotors and pads it has had.

I should have gotten the prepaid service with wear items, it would have paid for itself.

·
Registered
193 Posts
In April '19 I took my V90 in for its 20k mi service. The car actually had 22k mi on it due to an unexpected trip I had to take. It required both front and rear brake pads, but not rotors. I don't know what the pad measurements were, but wish now I'd asked that question. It cost $747 (parts and labor). I use the adaptive cruise control all the time and may need to dial that back. But its pretty nice in stop and go traffic of which there is plenty here in SoCal.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm about to buy a 2018 T6 V90 with 21,000 miles. Should I ask for new brakes or what?
I would certainly look at the service history and make a decision. I bought my car with 22k miles and the service history did state the front brake pads and rotors had been replaced under warranty ~7k miles. That told me I didn't have to worry about them in the short term...at least the front ones.

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
I'm about to buy a 2018 T6 V90 with 21,000 miles. Should I ask for new brakes or what?
I would ask that they measure the pad depth - both inside and outside pads for all four wheels. Obviously if you aren't feeling any vibration when braking then run out should be fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would ask that they measure the pad depth - both inside and outside pads for all four wheels. Obviously if you aren't feeling any vibration when braking then run out should be fine.
I took it for an hour this weekend. Everything felt good. No panic stops, but it stopped straight and true with no vibration. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've warped two sets and have had all four corners rotors and pads replaced twice and I'm just over 30K on my 2017 CC. Fortunately got full coverage under the VW diesel owner's incentive when I bought so no charge, but I sure hope this last set wears longer. Stopped using cruise control in the mountains which may help and bedded these carefully. Take it out for a hard braking every once in a while to avoid the light driver warp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone have step by step instructions on replacing rear brake pads?. Mine are needing change at 21k miles and just does not justify the $ the dealer is asking for.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Just out of 15,000-mile servicing on a 2018 V90 T6 AWD Polestar. I asked if the brakes were okay. Service writer said, "They're more than good." Original front pads measure 10mm, rear pads 9mm. Car is admittedly used gently, 90 percent local driving, no commuting. Adaptive cruise is only engaged during occasional Interstate trips to the airport.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Rear pads in my car will have to be changed around 27-28k miles. Reading this board, you'll learn that Adaptive Cruise Control will utilize rear braking only, thus, wearing them out at a disproportionate rate than the fronts. It seems to be the new "normal"...at least for Volvo. I'll DYI my rear pads as well in, mainly because the dealer also wants to change my discs...even though there's hardly any wear on them.
Interesting... I bought a 2018 Panamera E-Hybrid (PHEV) last year, which uses regenerative braking heavily on top of touching the actual brake pads, and on a 7600-mile, 2.5-week cross-country trip last summer, I used ACC about 98% of the time. At my 20k-mile servicing a couple months ago, the tech said that about 3/4 of the brake pads were still there. So I'm wondering how Volvo PHEV owners of T8 models find the longevity of their brake pads to be... It's widely reported on car forums that PHEV and BEV owners both have brake pads lasting to 100k miles or more...

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
My rear pads were replaced at 20k as well. Fronts were still good (5-6mm) at 30k which was just done last week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I took the plunge!. Much easier than anticipated. Using a 9v battery to release the brake was perfect. Also it is a #7 hex bit. The first one was a little tricky to get the motor to unwind. So about an hour as I wanted to make sure I did not mess anything up. The second was probably 15 minutes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
By the way...the dealer told me that the pads required changing but when I took them off there were probably good for at least another 8k miles. In any case the exercise was actually a good learning. No need to pay $300 for this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also changed my rear brakes this past weekend using the 9v battery. Super simple except for the locktite on the bracket bolts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts