SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering...anyone know what the expected life time of stock cat and downpipe are? Included both as they are one piece from what I remember :-/...

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You made it to 75k? Mine had to go at 45k on my old S60. What a shame
I have the EST DP half of my EST cat back in my closet....no money to install it. Just wondering as if it something I should do soon as normal maintenance to justify it lol.

Vio and Stefan...you guys running aftermarket tunes with your Turbobacks?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I have the EST DP half of my EST cat back in my closet....no money to install it. Just wondering as if it something I should do soon as normal maintenance to justify it lol.

Vio and Stefan...you guys running aftermarket tunes with your Turbobacks?
I was on my old S60, I ran a RICA stage II tune on my 2008 2.5T with OBX downpipe and stock R catback exhaust system. It was a great combination. Honestly if you have a couple of stands and a weekend you should be able to install both downpipe and catback (depending on what you mean by half) with relative easy. Some PB blaster will work on the turbo bolts/studs and if you're replacing your entire exhaust you won't even have to worry about the downpipe to catback bolts which are no doubt rusted to pieces. Simply spraying some pb blaster on the O2 sensors and 3 downpipe bolts will get them loose, and then you can drop the entire system and replace it with ease.

I'm planning on doing this sometime soon, since last time I tried to install my downpipe i sheared the bolts that connect it to the catback exhaust in half, which was a pain in the ***. By doing the whole turbo back exhaust at once it actually saves you time rather than if you just install the downpipe.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Ideally (from what the manufacturer has told me) is with normal driving in perfect conditions. yada yada yada. Basically stuff that never happens. The Catalytic Converter should last the life of the vehicle. Personally I've had catalytic converters with near 300k on them. No problems.

On the flip side I've had some with only 45k and they busted on the inside.

Downpipe really depends too. Didn't Volvo have a problem where the downpipe separates itself from the flange?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Ideally (from what the manufacturer has told me) is with normal driving in perfect conditions. yada yada yada. Basically stuff that never happens. The Catalytic Converter should last the life of the vehicle. Personally I've had catalytic converters with near 300k on them. No problems.

On the flip side I've had some with only 45k and they busted on the inside.

Downpipe really depends too. Didn't Volvo have a problem where the downpipe separates itself from the flange?
Yeah the stock downpipe is really a very bad design, it's very restrictive and the catalytic converter likes to crap out (at least in my experience).

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It would literally be $40 (pair of jack stands and a cheap socket set...) if you have no tools.
I don't have a second car and enough time or a place to do it if something crappy happens during the process. Otherwise I wouldn't care...such is apartment life and one car.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I don't have a second car and enough time or a place to do it if something crappy happens during the process. Otherwise I wouldn't care...such is apartment life and one car.
I installed a catback on my buddies car in the school parking lot on jackstands! Just do it!!! :)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It's not that hard. Even in a parking lot. You're going to feel silly if any REAL maintenance you have to do yourself comes along.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts