SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished changing a starter on an 08 Honda Civic.

What a brutal job that was which makes me wonder what kind of life does one get out of a 3.2 starter and how hard is it to change?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
More a quantitative than a qualitative number.
Depends on the number of times you start the engine. But generally, if you get 9-10 years out of starter with normal driving use, you got your money's worth.

Out of curiosity anyone know the cost to replace a starter in a 3.2 and the amount of difficulty?

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,363 Posts

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
I think I've done one, maybe two starters in the inline 6 so far. So not a very high failure rate at all.

As mentioned, they are super easy. I can do them in under 10 minutes. I can't see it taking a DIYer nore than 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I think I've done one, maybe two starters in the inline 6 so far. So not a very high failure rate at all.

As mentioned, they are super easy. I can do them in under 10 minutes. I can't see it taking a DIYer nore than 30 minutes.
Good to know.
I replaced my PCV 2 weeks ago. Whole job done in less than 45 minutes. Broken headlight housing is the next task. That looks like a 2 minute job.
I know they're not linked companies but I almost wonder if some of the folks from Volvo Commercial truck side consulted a bit on engineering?
I'm finding that more and more, from a serviceability standpoint, this truck was engineered to a certain extent like a commercial duty or military vehicle. Quick access and field level serviceability was kept in mind. Why can't ALL vehicles be so wonderfully easy to work on?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm finding that more and more, from a serviceability standpoint, this truck was engineered to a certain extent like a commercial duty or military vehicle. Quick access and field level serviceability was kept in mind. Why can't ALL vehicles be so wonderfully easy to work on?
Maybe I'm just sour due to how recently it happened, but I doubt you'd sing the same tune if your angle gear needed replacing. :) Definitely not quick access!

·
Registered
2005 V8 XC90
148 Posts
My starter is the original on my 2005 V8. mostly used on short commute everyday explaining low mileage however at least 2 start every day on average so for 14 years that will be about 10 220 cranking and going...

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
.....I almost wonder if some of the folks from Volvo Commercial truck side consulted a bit on engineering?
Huh?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If your engine starts quickly and easily, the starter will last a lot longer.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The 3.2L is sooooo pleasant to work on. My first XC90 work was on the first gen T6.

-Ryan

·
Registered
504 Posts
I just finished changing a starter on an 08 Honda Civic.

What a brutal job that was which makes me wonder what kind of life does one get out of a 3.2 starter and how hard is it to change?
FWIW, Hondas are evil, spiteful beasts to work on. To service them, you need to dial the car's construction back to the point on the assembly line where the part in question was installed. My favorite was on the CR-V where the line in the service manual said to remove the whole HVAC through the little hole that the glovebox goes in.

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The vehicle relative ease serviceability and ability to reach MOST parts is uncommon for most passenger cars at this price point.
The forethought about access and quick parts replacement is the sort of engineering thinking more in tune with how commercial and military vehicles are engineered.
That's not to say the XC is all milk and honey though. There is the typical "WTF were they thinking!" in some areas but the amount of these questionable logic elements are far less than say, Audi or BMW.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I take it you haven't replaced your serpentine belt yet.
That's next on my XC90 after I finish the resto on the barn-find 240 (no rust!).

Having done a bunch of wrenching on the old T6, I'll take the WTF jobs on the 3.2 with joy. ;)

What's the ballpark dealer charge for the serpentine belt and the consumables it touches?

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I take it you haven't replaced your serpentine belt yet.
I had it replaced last year. Like I said, not all milk and honey. The tech at Quicksilver Motorsports who performed the service for me couldn't even begin to fathom why Volvo put all the accessories drives and pulleys on a cramped side of the engine while there's expansive and open space on the opposite side.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
There is nowhere near enough room to run accessories on the other side
His point was if the engine and accessory drive layout were planned better or mounted inline instead of transverse, there would be ample room.

·
Registered
504 Posts
His point was if the engine and accessory drive layout were planned better or mounted inline instead of transverse, there would be ample room.
Having done the timing belt/serp-belt/water-pump/T-stat/etc on the old T6, there most certainly was not ample room there. I'm thinking I'll gladly take the new 6-cylinder's layout with the rear accessory belt. Though I have the later A/C bracket, which seems to require no/fewer special tools.

-Ryan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts