SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Mom was involved in a hit and run and her P2 XC70 is totaled. Now it's time to find a replacement. I came across a very low mileage and well priced 08 P3 XC70 and I'm wondering if would be worth it to go from a bulletproof and perky 2.5t XC70 to the 3.2 XC70... Any suggestions and options would be appreciated. Also, anyone have ballpark real world fuel economy numbers?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
If you can find a T6 XC70 I would go for that one since the MPG difference is minimal at best and its a much more reliable and fun motor to own. The 3.2 engine is a bit under powered in my opinion and I've driven it in several P3 vehicles and never really enjoyed the engine as a whole. There have been some oil consumption issues with the 3.2 especially in earlier builds.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
^agree 100%. The 3.2 is adequate for most people, but would not be considered "perky" by any means. Also, it's no more economical than the T6 (or the T5, I think) and seems to be less reliable overall than either of those engines as well.

That being said, it won't fall out of the car while your mom is driving and my be just fine for her needs.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Brother in law is thinking bout P3- 3.2 (budget issue) Cant afford T6!

All issues have been recalled right? Issues should have been solved? Poor old 3.2... Whats wrong?
Actually he has a 2.5T P2 XC70 now

XC70 2011 D5

·
Registered
739 Posts
So my Mom was involved in a hit and run and her P2 XC70 is totaled. Now it's time to find a replacement. I came across a very low mileage and well priced 08 P3 XC70 and I'm wondering if would be worth it to go from a bulletproof and perky 2.5t XC70 to the 3.2 XC70... Any suggestions and options would be appreciated. Also, anyone have ballpark real world fuel economy numbers?
t
IF it's within budget, I would look for an '12+ 3.2. The transmission was updated along with the center stack (among other refresh items). But in all honesty, the 3.2 gets the job done regardless of which year '08-14.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Mom's driving style is one that has her in boost... Maybe not having boost would be beneficial. In her 2.5t she got around 20-21 combined with a lot of city driving. And got around 26-28 highway... I wish a T6 was in the cards but I don't think it is. Maybe in 2 years we'll buy a 2015.5 P3 T5 XC70... If I look at a P3 what should I look for. I know the usual routine for a 5cyl how does it differ... Are spring seats and the like still an issue, angle gear, etc...

·
Registered
526 Posts
don't get the 08-10 3.2 engine. I have an 09 3.2 and it is a COMPLETE DOG! my 06 2.5T is probably faster and when I need to go on the highway, definitely the 2.5t is better. Get the T6, i wished i did.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Have a 2013 XC70 w/3.2 fwd. Ours is more than peppy enough and will run at the 85 MPH speed limit (here in Texas) all day long. No oil consumption between annual oil changes. My biggest issue is the OEM 16" wheel. There are only two tyres that are 'proper' fitment. The XC70 is heavy and came a high speed (V) and high load range (102) tyre. That combination in a 16" wheel basically leaves only the OEM Continental Contact 4x4 M/S - this is a extra load (XL) tyre, and one Bridgestone model. Twice we have waited three days for a replacement tyre to be shipped from the Continental warehouse. The Bridgestone set we tried ruined the ride and balance out was not acceptable, - so back to Continental's.
The vehicle is great - especially if you find one with the optional (larger) wheels.
One other comment - Even if your mother is the only driver - consider putting the IPD rear sway Bar on. It does a great job of cleaning up the (over weight) handling and body roll on curvy roads and Freeway 'Flyovers'.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have '13 3.2 with 55K and have been very satisfied. I have had no mechanical issues. Buy one with good maintenance records. There is much talk on this forum about the 3.2 being under powered. For a 5100+ pound vehicle it moves along very well and gets 25-29 MPG. It is a very comfortable vehicle.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
don't get the 08-10 3.2 engine. I have an 09 3.2 and it is a COMPLETE DOG! my 06 2.5T is probably faster and when I need to go on the highway, definitely the 2.5t is better. Get the T6, i wished i did.
QFT.

Buy a P3 T6 or stick with a P2 2.5T.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have '13 3.2 with 55K and have been very satisfied. I have had no mechanical issues. Buy one with good maintenance records. There is much talk on this forum about the 3.2 being under powered. For a 5100+ pound vehicle it moves along very well and gets 25-29 MPG. It is a very comfortable vehicle.
A big +1!
My wife's 2011 3.2 has 28K miles, zips along quite nicely, the silver gauges stink and for me the throttle response has too much gain but my wife likes it just fine.-Richard
BTW I drive a 2003 2.5T. Nice car, enough zip, either car is fine. But my sense is the P3 is a better vehicle in terms of reliability than the P2.
P3 actually rides better than the new XC90 I drove when the 2011 XC70 was in for service!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have an 08 V70, wife and son have 05 V70Rs, daughter has an 04 V70 2.5T.
My 08 has been dirt cheap to run. Might burn a quart between oil changes (~5-6k miles).
It is bigger, slower but at lot more comfortable than the others. It is the car we all gravitate to for long trips. Routinely get high 20's on the highway - I've gotten over 30 a couple of times.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I test drove one... It was certainly comfortable. I'm still gravitating to something with the good old B5254T or B5254T4... Perhaps it's because I've only ever driven turbocharged cars. And it felt much bigger than the VR... Not sure whether that's a good thing.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Definitely bigger. The P2 was a mid size car in the Volvo line up. The "P3" platform in this guise (technically called the EUCD platform or 'European "C" and "D" size' in Ford speak) is their large car. It's like an S80 wagon vs a S60 wagon.
Personally I think they did themselves a disservice naming it a V70. It should have been a V90. I still like it though.
Good luck with whatever you buy. There is no right or wrong - just a matter of the right car for the right person and the right situation.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
This is considered an "Executive Level" car, both the S80 and V/XC70. Larger than full-size, definitely on the heavy side as far as modern vehicles go. Lot of car to move.

·
Registered
739 Posts
P3 3.2 cant be P-starred correct?

2011 XC70 D5 Polestar
Correct. It's very rare that any car without a Turbo can have their ECU flashed to have any power gains. So, it's only the Turbo Volvos that are eligible (and not all years and Turbos, there's a list)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
And if you consider the cost of the P* optimization and no significant benefit in mpg between the 3.2 and the T6, you might as well go with the T6 at that point.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Is the price difference really that large?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts