SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the rear struts yesterday. Broke the head off the lone bolt in the interior cabin putting it all back together.

To my non-expert eye it doesn’t seem crucial, as in I can take my time getting around to extracting it. But thought I should put it to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Probably fine. The shock assy is held in by the bolts into the subframe from below. I would just get a new top piece is and not even bother extracting... Why do more effort.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
A bolt that large looks pretty important to me. Surprised you managed to break it. Drill it, tap it and thread in a new bolt.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have seen too many bolts left out and some time later stress fractures in the metal are found. That shock mount looks to be a bridge between the structure below and the upper structure and the bolt was the least costly way to do it without extra parts or welds. I'm down with extract and replace.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
I have seen too many bolts left out and some time later stress fractures in the metal are found. That shock mount looks to be a bridge between the structure below and the upper structure and the bolt was the least costly way to do it without extra parts or welds. I'm down with extract and replace.
It’s not structural. That bolt is in a blind hole in the upper mount... appears to be there to prevent rattling.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...ear-Shock-Mounts-and-Suspension-Rattles-Chirp

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably fine. The shock assy is held in by the bolts into the subframe from below. I would just get a new top piece is and not even bother extracting... Why do more effort.
Excellent. I would probably just get a new top piece if I hadn’t destroyed all my ratchet straps pulling the control arms down, arg.

Well take a go at using an extractor when I have the time, if that fails I’ll buy a new top piece and some ratchet straps of the STEEL variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts