SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone:

As I have stated before I am have just recently got into modifying. This is the first car I have ever modified. I am also just starting out doing my own maintenance. I have the oil changes down and am working up to bigger things. This is just a preface. I want to let you all know where I am at, so that I can get some honest advice. I am trying to learn.

Anyways. I have new rotors and pads for my car. I am also increasing my front rotors to 302mm and have the necessary brackets. I have looked over the instructions here on Volvospeed and I have a Chilton's manual. I have new shims for the rear, all of the necessary tools, and the brake grease.

How hard is it really to do the brakes on my car? My plan was to do the brakes with the combination of the VS instructions, Chiltons manual, and a friend who has had experience changing brakes (although not Volvos, but he had experience). Does anyone have any input or suggestions. I was hoping to save some money by doing the work myself, but I also don't want to kill myself.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: How hard is it to replace my brakes? (larryo108)

It's actually pretty easy. I did it the first time a few months ago and it wasn't that bad. As it was my first time, it took my about an hour for one side. This is with the stock jack so I had to do things one at a time. Also, I was missing a few things and did some trial and error (tying up the caliper, getting the piston back into the caliper, getting that freaking clip to come back on). But once the trial and error was done, it took me about 10-15 minutes to do the other side.
I'm not sure about rotors as I've never done it before (i'm going to be getting the 302mm upgrade for Xmas) but from the haynes manual it looks pretty staright forward. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
565 Posts

Larry,
What rotors are you going with? My R model came from upstate New York and have a great deal of rust developing on them. I was considering replacement and going up, in size on the fronts as well. I'm running 17" TSW R wheels now. Did you go with crossed drilled with an treatments or just OEM stuff?
I'm looking to improve the looks and do away with the any rust problems down the road.

TXS,

Griff
'98 V70R AWD

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: How hard is it to replace my brakes? (Griff_33)

Hey Griff. I will be using drilled and slotted TarOx rotors. I will let you know next week how the install goes and if there are any problems.

Looking at the rotors, they look absolutely brilliant. I will try to take a photo and post it.

·
Registered
565 Posts

SWEET........... I'll stand by. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
Were you happy with the price? Are they electro-plated? Did you ge the entire package from the same supplier? May I ask what you had to pay?
TXS,
Griff

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: How hard is it to replace my brakes? (Griff_33)

Griff:

Here are some photos of the rotors, pads, and brackets. They aien't the best, but you will get the idea. If you notice there is a black channel on the front brakes, between the rotor hat and the rotor braking surface. This is actually open and leads to the ventilating vanes. I don't know if you understand that, in essence it vent heat to not only the outside of the rotor, but suck in cold air through the channel. I think anyways. That is how I imagine it would work.

Anyways, enjoy these photos and I will post pictures of the install after this weekend.

Front rotor

Rear rotor

Whole package

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.