SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, about how far in advance of my confirmed OSD delivery date will my new XC90 go down the assembly line? I am scheduled for delivery in late March.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Probably around 4 weeks? Normally you have to pay for the vehicle in full either 30 days before your pickup date or when you get the VIN number. In two of my three OSD deliveries I had the VIN more than a month before my arrival ... and once you have the VIN you'll probably have the build week as well. (It typically has to be about two weeks prior to your pickup as they also have to arrange the Swedish registration and license plates.)

Wishing you a safe and enjoyable journey!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I asked this same question in this OSD forum last year, Grecian answered it, but its not a simple answer, look for the thread to get his answer

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Just for fun I looked up the dates for our last OSD.....here they are:

Order date: 11/18/11
Order Confirmation: 12/2/11
Build Date: 2/12/12
VIN confirmed: 2/21/12
Delivery Date: 4/23/12
USA pickup: 6/11/12

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
We ordered in late October 2011, car was built mid-December 2011, we picked up mid-April 2012.

It really depends on when they have an open slot in the production plan. The vendors deliver parts in manufacturing order -- the next windshield out of the box goes on the next car coming down the assembly line!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Seeing as how the new XC90 is in such heavy demand, I'm thinking there probably won't be such a big lag between production and delivery. At least I hope not.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I'm curious how the last date of change is determined and exactly how that date is communicated to the customer???

I'm not remembering that communication for our last OSD purchase....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can anyone confirm whether an OSD vehicle that is produced well in advance (2+ months) of its delivery date is stored under cover or left out in the elements?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm curious how the last date of change is determined and exactly how that date is communicated to the customer???

I'm not remembering that communication for our last OSD purchase....
From my experience, I had to ask my dealer to let me know what my last date of change was. We ordered our XC90 on 9/19/15 with a delivery date in late March 2016 (updated to early April) and our LDOC was 10/29/15. I still don't know my official build date, but I haven't asked (I didn't care enough to ask, but I'm getting more curious now). I was pretty surprised how soon the LDOC was considering we weren't asking for delivery until approx 6 months later.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Can anyone confirm whether an OSD vehicle that is produced well in advance (2+ months) of its delivery date is stored under cover or left out in the elements?
I've seen cars both inside and outside the FDC building. If nobody here can provide an answer maybe drop an email to FDC [at] volvocars [dot] com.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
No matter where its stored, they will still wash it. Not sure where you're going with your question but we noticed very very light swirl marks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No matter where its stored, they will still wash it. Not sure where you're going with your question but we noticed very very light swirl marks.
I guess I'm just a little concerned that they would elect to build my vehicle so far in advance of delivery and then just let it sit for 2-3 months. If it's going to sit for that long, I would hope that it's at least in covered parking. Thanks for the tip rpmccormick, I sent them an email and will update this thread when I get a response.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From my experience, I had to ask my dealer to let me know what my last date of change was. We ordered our XC90 on 9/19/15 with a delivery date in late March 2016 (updated to early April) and our LDOC was 10/29/15. I still don't know my official build date, but I haven't asked (I didn't care enough to ask, but I'm getting more curious now). I was pretty surprised how soon the LDOC was considering we weren't asking for delivery until approx 6 months later.
GoFins, I ordered my XC90 in late August with a delivery date in late March 2016. I spoke with my salesman yesterday who mentioned that my car has ALREADY been built and offered me the VIN. It doesn't seem very efficient for Volvo to build vehicles so far in advance and then let them just sit and take up space for months awaiting delivery.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
GoFins, I ordered my XC90 in late August with a delivery date in late March 2016. I spoke with my salesman yesterday who mentioned that my car has ALREADY been built and offered me the VIN. It doesn't seem very efficient for Volvo to build vehicles so far in advance and then let them just sit and take up space for months awaiting delivery.
You're thinking about efficiency in a different way than Volvo thinks about efficiency.

Again, this thread : When are OSD cars built? answers how OSD cars are introduced into the system.

They want the car built as soon as possible. Think about it, you make travel plans for a targeted delivery date, and when you get there, they say "sorry, no car for you!" for whatever reason (parts shortage, machine breakdown, etc). That would be a huge fail.

I'm assuming when you place the order, the acceptance reply is contingent on the soonest available open production slot being taken by OSD for your car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree, but as long as they keep the car pristine I'll overlook this... I get why they do this having reading the other thread that johnee pointed to, but wonder why the equation is different for BMW, who does just-in-time production for their European Delivery program. Again, I don't really care as long as my car is in perfect condition when I pick it up, so just pure curiosity.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I agree, but as long as they keep the car pristine I'll overlook this... I get why they do this having reading the other thread that johnee pointed to, but wonder why the equation is different for BMW, who does just-in-time production for their European Delivery program. Again, I don't really care as long as my car is in perfect condition when I pick it up, so just pure curiosity.
I wish volvo did just in time, nice that bmw does it. Maybe swedish nervousness?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Ours was built in December 2011 for an April 2012 OSD. Came in looking clean and smelling new. Those few months really don't bother me -- can sit that long on lots between factory/transportation stops/dealer lots no matter who the manufacturer is.

They find an empty slot in the production schedule and drop you in. They want to keep the line completely busy and don't want to pay OT. There are also constraints on the suppliers. The match process to get you a date ("production planning") is fairly sophisticated.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Has anyone had success communicating with the FDC via email? I sent them an email 9 days ago with a simple question about how my car is being stored for the 2+ months between production and delivery. I referenced both my order number and confirmed delivery date in the email and sent it to FDC [at] volvocars [dot] com, but I haven't received a response. Is this unusual or to be expected?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts