SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've watched a few videos of the timing belt replacement and while it looks like the tool would make the job quicker, none of the videos used the tool.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I would not try to do this without it

·
Registered
572 Posts
The cam locking tool doesn't even fit CVVT cars anyways. The trick is to set the marks to TDC, then rotate the cams 90 degrees clockwise, then back to TDC. This unloads the CVVT hub. If you don't, it'll spring back & you're up sh*t creek.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you elaborate on that? The cams will spring out of time when the belt is removed?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
The cam locking tool does indeed lock the camshafts on VVT models, on the transmission side of the motor.

I changed out my faulty water pump in a very short amount of time. The cams didn't even move when I removed the belt. However, your mileage may vary. It's not hard to turn them back to where they need to be though. Just mark the belt using paint on the pulleys, then transfer the marks to the new belt. No way to screw up then. As long as the crank marks are centered over the mark on the oil pump, you'll be fine. I just pulled off the belt, changed the pump, put the belt on, and was done.

If you do any type of work removing the pulleys then you definitely need the tool.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Talking about the Rear Cam locking tool
You can build your own tool cheaply. I did.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've watched a few videos of the timing belt replacement and while it looks like the tool would make the job quicker, none of the videos used the tool.
Are you sure you watched a 99+ video? It would be a challenge to torque the VVT hub bolt without the locking tool in the rear

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
You guys are talking about two different cam lock tools.

The cheap one for the sprockets caused me more trouble than it saved. Personally I've done three timing belts on variable cam cars with no cam lock, and if you do the "90 degrees past TDC and back" trick the cams don't move at all during the job. Just rotate the engine once by hand after everything is done and check your timing marks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I turn the CRANK 90 degrees and back (cam 45) or the CAM 90 degrees (crank 180)?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts