SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car - 2015.5 S60 FWD - was in an accident and I went to a collision center to get an estimate before meeting the adjuster. I would told me seat belt fired, because the pin is missing. The system is $1,000 between a new pretensioner and a new seat belt. Note: I was rear ended in the accident.

So I am curious:

1. How much force is required to trigger the seat belt so that the pre tensioner kicks in>

2. I was told the seat belt is a one time use system. Once the pretensioners are triggered, the seat belt + Pretensioners must be replaced,

2. I assume the seat belt system is mechanic since my pin is missing?

·
Registered
722 Posts
As the name implies, a pre-tensioner is designed to tension the belt before the full force of a passenger being thrown forward hits. I don't know specifically how much force is required to set them off but I could see them being triggered even in a rear end accident to take up slack in the belt in case the car was pushed into the back of another car causing a sudden stop following the first impact.

There are multiple types of pre-tensioner, but all of them involve a pyrotechnic mechanism to mechanically retract or tighten the belt. Examples of the various mechanisms can be seen here: https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/23857/how-do-seat-belt-pretensioners-work

Because of the way they work, pre-tensioners are single use only. Once they fire, they must be replaced.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
As the name implies, a pre-tensioner is designed to tension the belt before the full force of a passenger being thrown forward hits. I don't know specifically how much force is required to set them off but I could see them being triggered even in a rear end accident to take up slack in the belt in case the car was pushed into the back of another car causing a sudden stop following the first impact.

There are multiple types of pre-tensioner, but all of them involve a pyrotechnic mechanism to mechanically retract or tighten the belt. Examples of the various mechanisms can be seen here: https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/23857/how-do-seat-belt-pretensioners-work

Because of the way they work, pre-tensioners are single use only. Once they fire, they must be replaced.
So does the pre-tensioner fire with any impact? I.E. If someone is sitting at a stand still, accelerates, and bumps your car, does the system activate? Or does the pretensions require a specific set of events and/or amount of force to deploy? I.E. It detects driving is going to be sent forward and fires before you can be lurched?

·
Registered
820 Posts
So my car - 2015.5 S60 FWD - was in an accident and I went to a collision center to get an estimate before meeting the adjuster. I would told me seat belt fired, because the pin is missing. The system is $1,000 between a new pretensioner and a new seat belt. Note: I was rear ended in the accident.

So I am curious:

1. How much force is required to trigger the seat belt so that the pre tensioner kicks in>

2. I was told the seat belt is a one time use system. Once the pretensioners are triggered, the seat belt + Pretensioners must be replaced,

2. I assume the seat belt system is mechanic since my pin is missing?
Sorry to hear you were in a crash. Hope that Volvo's Whiplash Protection System did it's job and you have no physical ill effects. Also hope everything goes smoothly with your repair and insurance.
Are you sure that the $1,000 quote is because of the pretensioner or could it be the Whiplash system? I think pretensioners are way cheaper than that.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear you were in a crash. Hope that Volvo's Whiplash Protection System did it's job and you have no physical ill effects. Also hope everything goes smoothly with your repair and insurance.
Are you sure that the $1,000 quote is because of the pretensioner or could it be the Whiplash system? I think pretensioners are way cheaper than that.
Thanks.

$600 for pre tensioner + 400 for seat belt.

Right now the repair bill is ~$2600. Probably more once there's a tear down. Shoulder + Neck bugging me. Seat Belt locked or lurched me backwards from a rear end collision. System definitely triggered so was curious about how / what makes the seatbelt pretensioner system engage.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
The seat belt and pretensioner come as one unit..

You sure they arent talking about the whiplash protection in the seat? That's what has a pin, not the pretensioner.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The seat belt and pretensioner come as one unit..

You sure they arent talking about the whiplash protection in the seat? That's what has a pin, not the pretensioner.
Collision Shop (Volvo Certified) Invoice:

Prentesioner, Frt Seatblt Part# 86304664 Price $660.21
Seatbelt, Front Rt Part #398004846 Price $438.02

Rear Bumper

Cover, Rear Bumper Part #398081448 Price $935.25
Mldg, Rear Bumper Part# 307950311 Price $215.64

Not sure. I was just told the pin is missing.. and these are the parts I was quoted. And told my car isn't safe to drive now due to the above parts being needed for seatbelt assembly.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Yep, never mind. Just looked into it and they changed the seatbelt system. The pretensioner is on the part where the belt anchors to the seat instead of built into the reel like I was remembering.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, never mind. Just looked into it and they changed the seatbelt system. The pretensioner is on the part where the belt anchors to the seat instead of built into the reel like I was remembering.
Do you now the circumstances needed to trigger the pin? I mean will a gentle love tap make it trigger or does it require X amount of force before it deploys? Or does it deploy if it senses driving being sent in forward motion?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Do you now the circumstances needed to trigger the pin? I mean will a gentle love tap make it trigger or does it require X amount of force before it deploys? Or does it deploy if it senses driving being sent in forward motion?
I do not and I doubt it is that simple. The SRS module likely uses several inputs to determine when to deploy them, similar to airbag deployment.

·
Registered
350 Posts
So the pretentioner works without airbag inflation? I thought it only activate if the airbag opened

And important question: I have a reconstructed title vehicle 2015.5 S60 , it's been in an accident before and the mechanic\reseller re-installed airbags (No SRS error or anything on Dashboard) is there a chance he might not have replaced the Pretensioner?? or does the pretensioner reports to the SRS module so it would've gave an error?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was rearended in my 2016 S60CC and the whiplash system greatly reduced my whiplash. The drivers seat actually moves back during the impact to absorb the energy. These parts are a one time use and are what controls the rearward movement. Be sure these parts are checked and replaced because they only work once.

The photo shows the parts after the impact. New parts will have a gap in the center where these parts show no gap.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Takes more than a "love tap", or at least does on a 2009 C70 based on my totally unscientific and statistically insignificant sample of one bump from behind last year. I was #1 at the red light, #2 was a Toyota that stopped behind me, #3 was a Chrysler 300 who was busy on the phone and had his call rudely interupted when a Toyota stopped at a red light in front of him. It wasn't much of a bump, put a slight crease in the bumper, startled me and my daughter, but I'd say it wasn't a whole lot worse than the bump you get on "It's a Small World" when the boat behind hits you... after quickly ascertaining that my daughter was merely surprised, not hurt my next thought was the dread of having to drive home from Tampa to Philadelphia in a cheap and nasty insurance rental, but then hopping out and assessing the damage, or lack of it, I realized it was a total non-issue and would have been willing to put it down to experience and forget about it had responsible party's insurers not kept calling me.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
So the pretentioner works without airbag inflation? I thought it only activate if the airbag opened

And important question: I have a reconstructed title vehicle 2015.5 S60 , it's been in an accident before and the mechanic\reseller re-installed airbags (No SRS error or anything on Dashboard) is there a chance he might not have replaced the Pretensioner?? or does the pretensioner reports to the SRS module so it would've gave an error?
Yes they can work without airbag deployment.

According to the info in VIDA for a 2015.5, the check is done electronically. So I would assume if a tensioner was fired, the SRS light would be on.

We sub out our body work and occasionally get them back here to clear codes and reset everything. I never ask what's been replaced because it's irrelevant to me, I just clear the codes and reset the SRS if applicable.

·
Registered
350 Posts

According to the info in VIDA for a 2015.5, the check is done electronically. So I would assume if a tensioner was fired, the SRS light would be on.

We sub out our body work and occasionally get them back here to clear codes and reset everything. I never ask what's been replaced because it's irrelevant to me, I just clear the codes and reset the SRS if applicable.
So you think there is a possibility that they might reseted the code on the SRS without changing the needed parts?
I have VIDA and I can connect to SRS module is there any way I can check on that?

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

No codes appear on my Dash.But adjuster said 100% my system deployed. Do i need to ask about the drivers seat? Or is this included in a new seat belt and pretentioner kit?

Per robds post #13

·
Registered
820 Posts
So you think there is a possibility that they might reseted the code on the SRS without changing the needed parts?
I have VIDA and I can connect to SRS module is there any way I can check on that?
I think the point he left out is that after you reset the code, when the car starts up again, the computer will do its normal check, and the code will pop back up if the part has not been replaced.

·
Registered
230 Posts
No codes appear on my Dash.But adjuster said 100% my system deployed. Do i need to ask about the drivers seat? Or is this included in a new seat belt and pretentioner kit?

Per robds post #13
Most likely not included as mine needed to be replaced but my seatbelt system was not activated. The whiplash parts are purely mechanical.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The SRS warning will not reset if the problem that triggered the code has not been resolved.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts