SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any noticeable issues with paint jobs on the new S40's? Especially interested in any pitting on the front or hood. Is a Clear Bra a given like it is on a G35?<p>Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think the paint is very thin on the these cars. My V50 has tons of stone chips in the paint throughout the front bumper/hood area. I regret not adding something like a clear bra when it was new. oh well..

·
Registered
564 Posts
Re: (treacherous)

It seems tough as hell on mine, pamper it for the first few months whilst it cures more and it's okay. Mine has about 5 or 6 noticable chips/scuffs on the bumper and 3/4 chips on the bonnet, all acquired over 25,000 miles. That rate of hits seems pretty good to me given the amount of crap I can hear bouncing all overthe car on some days.<p>I think that the bonnet has less chips due to the relatively bluff front. If the plastic bumper gets the hits that's fine by me as it won't rust. <p>Then again, whilst I do pamper the car, I don't intend for it to be an exhibit piece, it's gotta earn it's keep, so perhaps my perspective is different to everyone else's?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: How does paint hold up on the S40? (treacherous)

Yup, paint seems to be toooo soft... I just cry and drive...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Re: (treacherous)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>treacherous</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The chips and pitting seems to be common these days from numerous makes.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I think it's actually what's applied to the road as opposed to the paint. they used to use natural rock (from gravel pits for example) now they use (at least in our area) crushed rock. crushed rock is jagged and sharp and seems to do more damage.<p>I chose not to do the clear bra as a) don't like the look (sorry but you can still see it and looks kinda dumb) b) for the amount of money I could wait 2 years and respray the front bumper (the bra looks like crap by then anyway) c) if you mess up and get wax on it it will discolour (seen it with my own eyes) d) after it's baked on for a couple years i'm told it's hard as hell to take off (read - ruins the paint) e) even if you get the front done you'll still get chips further up (on the hood for example) so then you've kind of wasted your money anyway because it still looks like crap (from the bra AND the rock chips).<p>I debated this a lot when I got my car but I heard both sides from folks in my local car club and there were many more "against" then "for"<p>good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
93 Posts
got 43,000 miles on mine, yes it's silver so shows the chips less, but compared to VW paint is much better. I do have half a dozen biggish chips tho.<p>As per Marmoset lookinig after the paint in the early stages seems to do a trick. Mine has only been through automatic wash at the dealers, and I have no swirls at all now....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: (Richard_S40)

I have the clear bra film made by 3M. It was installed this winter and so far so good. I do a lot of driving on rural roads in the summer months and the gravel is always flying. The installer told me there will be no problem with damaging the paint when the film is removed. He had to reinstall one piece and it was definitely hard to get off but the paint wasn't damaged. Yes, you can see it and I'm not thrilled with how it looks but I think it a reasonable alternative to the chipping car would have been subjected to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts