SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm doing my DP and want to remove the O2 sensors. How do you unplug them? I can feel where they connect from under the car but don't really know how to unplug the connectors.

OR can you just unscrew them and twist the cable?

BTW the nuts on the turbo end came off with very little effort. Advantage of the stud and nut VS the bolt setup.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
You just unscrew them. Here is a non-volvo how-to: http://blog.bavauto.com/609/replacing-your-bmw-or-minis-oxygen-sensors/

Having an oxygen sensor removal tool/socket will probably make it a lot easier.

When I swapped my DP I found that the front oxygen sensor came out very easily, but the rear one required a breaker bar to break loose.

Avoid twisting up the wiring on the oxygen sensors as much as possible. The sensor housings actually have air passages through the wiring to allow air into the sensor housing so that they can calibrate themselves properly (they need fresh air as a calibration reference). If you twist up the wiring or drop the sensors you can damage them.

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got them out with just unscrewing them. I thought the cable was stiffer than it was. No problem leaving them connected.

Thanks for the tip.

BTW DP is installed and so far I like the sound.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
BTW the nuts on the turbo end came off with very little effort. Advantage of the stud and nut VS the bolt setup.
Yep, tell me about it. Glad you got the DP installed :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you ever get yours off?

My biggest problem was one of the nuts where the DP meets the exhaust pipe. Rounded off one and had to cut it off. Then the stud wouldn't drive out so had to drill a new hole.
Other than that it went fairly well. I'm tired of being on the bottom, now it's my turn to be back on top, in control.

GL with yours.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
My DP has been installed for a long time now, I guess you never saw my legendary fail thread, LOL.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No never did see that one. I must of been MountainR that was in the process of doing an install this weekend also.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
No never did see that one. I must of been MountainR that was in the process of doing an install this weekend also.
I finally got mine done late last week. Took heat + breaker bar + 10mm 1/2" drive impact socket.

My rear O2 sensor was a biatch too... But I got it to come loose with a little persuasion ;) Now I get to do it again because my O2 spacer didn't show up in time and I'm driving with a CEL right now :p I was liberal with the anti-seize compound on everything I reinstalled, so hopefully this time it's a breeze.

What DP did you end up installing? Are you running a cat-back exhaust too?

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stock OEM exhaust with a OBX catless DP.

I know, I know all the environment issues but for now, that's what I'm doing.

I used a SS spacer from ebay and got it USPS in 2 days. So far no CEL. I was downtown St Paul today and drove under a parking ramp. Now that's a cool sound.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I'm running the same set-up. No resonator. I'll put a cat in a somepoint. It's a little too stinky for me right now.

I have my new spacer and It'll probably go in tomorrow night. I'm assuming I'll need to disconnect the battery or pull some fuses to clear the CEL though... I haven't searched yet either.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
The CEL will go away by itself after a couple drive cycles or you can pull the battery leads for a few minutes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts