SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a lab (<1 year old) and am trying to figure out the best way to take him with me in the cargo area, without having to worry about him scratching/chewing up the seatbelts/vents/etc. One option would be to get the protective grille, the compartment divider and a dog gate, but that seems like a silly solution for two reasons:
1. Insane price for just a few steel bars: $295 + $295 + $256 = ~$846...
2. It doesn't keep the dog from chewing up things.

I'm leaning towards a wire-frame crate, and maybe tie it up in a few places to prevent it from sliding around. Before I go down that road though, I thought I'd check to see what others are doing.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I met a German car mechanic once, with a dog named Jetta, because that was the model of car the dog ate the seats of.

If your Lab is that mouthy, some sort of crate seems like a good idea. Does he chew on things at home a lot?

I have a pair of dogs: an older half Lab / half Golden, and a middle aged Golden. Other than dirt & shedding, they haven't done any damage on my old 740.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I ponied up for the Volvo divider/dog door contraption when we were at the factory during our OSD. It was a bit less expensive since it was purchased at the factory. It's overpriced, but I'm really happy with it - Looks great and is super sturdy. I've had several people stop me in parking lots to check it out when I was putting groceries in the back of the car

No rattling/squeaking like I put up with in my previous car with a dog crate in the back. Fortunately my dog is nearly 2 and isn't chewing things up anymore, bit she did manage to make a little tear in the window tint film during one of our first trips in the car.

For anyone considering the factory dog gate, be aware of a couple things: 1). My ~45 lbs dog is able to get through the gate pretty comfortably if she ducks her head. A large dog might have trouble. I believe the depth of the crate is approx 36", give or take an inch or two. I'm not sure how well a 60+ lbs dog would fit. 2). We were at ikea today and wanted to remove the grille/divider. The dog gate was easy to remove, but trying to remove the divider was very difficult. We ended up giving up and figuring out an alternate way of transporting the item home.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dog doesn't chew up the house, but will chew on random things like cardboard every now and then. I did take him for a ride once where he could've chewed up the leather of the 2nd row chairs (3rd row folded down), and he was fine. He's just not at the age yet where we can trust him not to chew up the car, especially if we'd leave him in the car for a minute to run a quick errand. All it takes is getting unlucky once. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
3 year old white German Shepard here. Only went for the steel grille as I want the option to raise the third row on some trips. So far, he is pretty calm back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I like to know a little more about your set up. Is it for two dogs? which type of pens do you use?
I took out the back seats of a Scion xB. Soundproofed and built a custom platform. Modified and mounted two steel cages for the dogs. Installed high end infotainment and telematics with Focal speakers. This was my ride for about 18 months as I was training my dogs for SAR (search and rescue). Toby went just about everywhere with me for socialization purposes. I basically built a nice iPod for dogs that went 80 mph.

I had too much time on my hands....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts