SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I have been searching and searching so hard on how to replace the upper engine mount bushing. I don't want to go with the "polyuerathene" types. I want to replace it with an OEM bushing. This is for an S60. From what I understand, I have to unbolt the arm, and such. Does anyone have any kind of instructions to help me out?? Please! Thank you!!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: How do you replace a stock upper mount bushing? (myVolvoS60T5)

You need a special tool that almost no one has except Volvo dealers

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How do you replace a stock upper mount bushing? (JRL)

Alright, so are you saying the best bet it to either have someone else do it for me, or buy one of those "polyeuathane" bushings.... Does IPDusa have them for S60s? I can only find those on Evolve... heh

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
i just remove the coil cover and there is 3 screws ont the mount. I think is better to replace with poly cause it last 4ever and you will not spend any xx months your money

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: (volvos60t5x)

Replacement is easy, if you are at all mechanically inclined.

1. go to dealer, and see what they are selling for the replacement. The original was a round bushing that was a press fit into the housing. I just replaced mine last month, and the new version is cross shaped, and you get the new bushing and the mounting bracket as a unit. About $85-90.
2. If turbo, remove intercooler tube over engine, put a rag over both ends so nothing falls in.
3. unscrew the spark plug cover at the driver's side of the engine. This is necessary because it covers one of the mounting bolts on the torque mounting. This is only if you have the cross shape replacement.
4. unbolt the bolt through the torque mount.
5. If you got a round bushing, you need to slide a hacksaw blade into the bushing (note, it is broken, so sliding the blade should be easy), and then attach the blade to the hacksaw, and sart cutting the bushing itself. DO NOT cut into the aluminum mount.
6. If round replacement, use a hammer and a chisel or screwdriver to drive the cut bushing out.
7. If using a poly replacement, simply place the two parts in the mount, and then attach the bolt.
8. If replacing the original style bushing, you'll have to make a tool with big washers on a long bolt, and then clamp the bushing in place, and slowly screw the nut on the long bolt to force the bushing into the mount. This may be the hardest part of the entire job.
9. Once in place, and be certain it is rotated to the right direction when you first put it in, then take off you homemade press tool, and install the original bolt onto the bracket from the brace over the engine. 50NM is the torque rating, I believe, or 36.5 lb-ft of torque.
10. replace the intercooler tube.

If replacing the mount with the new cross style, here are directions starting with step 5.
5. unbolt the existing mount, 4 bolts into head.
6. bolt on the new mount, don't know the torque, just don't go toooo far, this is an aluminum head.
7. replace the original bolt through the mount, following step 9 above.
8. follow step 10 above.

Took me an hour, and I was being overly cautious about it. Could do it ihn almost half the time next time around. I installed the new cross shaped mount.

By cross shaped, the mount itself is identical in appearance to the original mount. The rubber bushing is no longer round, it is a form of a cross,. Nothing to cut out, but the next time you replace it, you have to replace the entire mount, I think. Dealer parts guy says he was told this is supposed to last longer. We'll see.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

wow, thanks! have you noticed any difference with the new cross mount vs. the older design? again, thanks for such a detailed steps, that was really, REALLY nice of you!!

·
Registered
773 Posts

I haven't notice a difference for one reason. I bought the car with a broken torque mount. If you looked very closely, you could barely see a hairline crack around the periphery of the rubber. That was only when I got it home after purchase, and spent an hour under the hood looking. Noticed a slight vibration at idle, but that was all.

When I replaced the bushing, the vibration has gone away, but I simply cannot say it is better or worse than the old bushing. I can relate that on my 96 850NA, that I noticed when the torque bushing broke, the engine started to shift towards the firewall, and that put a strain on the manual shift cable, which eventually broke the clips on the shift lever boot, so that it would come out of the transmission tunnel. Still, the deterioration was gradual, so it was hard to notice. It was only after replacement that I realized I had a problem that crept up on me. The difference was noticeable.

The new mount I put on is from an '05, but as noted elsewhere is retrofitted back as far as '01. Who knows if it will work better or not, this has been a consistent problem of FWD Volvos since the first 850 was made.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts

I changed the whole thing with the housing. Much easier than digging the old bushing out and pushing a new one in, at least for a lazy guy like me.
The price difference is small, especially cause I got shipping for free with the whole assembly, and the bushing only with shipping would have been almost the same price. Different story if you go to the dealer to buy.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: How do you replace a stock upper mount bushing? (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
You need a special tool that almost no one has except Volvo dealers

Not for nothing, but how do you come up with these stories?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts

Autoparts warehouse online shop, $55.
They seem to have the new model.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts

The difference in my car is a tighter front end. Less slack in drivetrain when shifting etc. The transverse mount engine jumps back and forth like crazy if the engine mounts are not top notch. Today I'll put in Powerflex bushes at the ends of the engine mount bar. I am hoping that it will make the front feel even more rigid, as people here say. I did not have vibration issues that would have concerned me before or after changing the top mount. This 5 cylinder is never the smoothest sob, it will always show some NVH.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts