SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got myself a new S60 T5M, everything is great but can't figure out how the rear seats are suppose to fold down 馃槅

Seems like it should be simple but spent 2 days and can't figure it out LOL

I don't have the buttons noted in page 190 of the manual.

Somehow, I did get the seats to fold down once, not sure what I pressed or touched but I can't figure out how to get them to fold down again.

If anyone has any insight how this is suppose to work, that would be greatly appreciated!

Registered
Its been a long time since we've had our S60s but I believe the rear seat release is in the trunk close to the back seat/hat shelf.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its been a long time since we've had our S60s but I believe the rear seat release is in the trunk close to the back seat/hat shelf.
Thanks, I'll take another look from the trunk side, I couldn't find any type of release there.

Registered
Its a button. Drivers side rear seat. You can see it from the back glass. Left button and right button.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a button. Drivers side rear seat. You can see it from the back glass. Left button and right button.
Unfortunately, mine does not have those buttons. Maybe they removed them for 2021 or on certain trims?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I searched throughout the backseat area and trunk and couldn't find any pull tabs, apparently it's indeed an option that's not included and it would be those buttons noted above like described in the manual.

That said, there is a way to lower them as the rear seats do split and fold. In the trunk, there is a cut-out with a spring inside, if that spring is pulled (kind of hard to get to) it releases the latch.

I'm kind of surprised this is an option as I never had any car before without this feature.

Initially, when I first pulled on the rear seat backs, they folded, so I guess they didn't come fully attached from the factory and when I folded them back, they latched properly. Unless I'm still missing something.

Registered
I recently got myself a new S60 T5M, everything is great but can't figure out how the rear seats are suppose to fold down 馃槅

Seems like it should be simple but spent 2 days and can't figure it out LOL

I don't have the buttons noted in page 190 of the manual.

Somehow, I did get the seats to fold down once, not sure what I pressed or touched but I can't figure out how to get them to fold down again.

If anyone has any insight how this is suppose to work, that would be greatly appreciated!
Seems like the fold down rear seat is no longer standard on the S60 T5 Momentum trim. Another cost cutting move?

Reactions: Ron21

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems like the fold down rear seat is no longer standard on the S60 T5 Momentum trim. Another cost cutting move?
Yeah exactly, seems like it.

It's just really strange that it includes the latches, springs, fold/split seats and the passthrough in the trunk.

All they would need to add, as far as I can tell, is a pull tab for the spring release since the buttons are removed.

Well, lesson learned, it didn't even cross my mind to check if the seats fold down, I just assumed any car, especially one of this level, would simply include this feature 馃槅

Registered
Yeah exactly, seems like it.

It's just really strange that it includes the latches, springs, fold/split seats and the passthrough in the trunk.

All they would need to add, as far as I can tell, is a pull tab for the spring release since the buttons are removed.

Well, lesson learned, it didn't even cross my mind to check if the seats fold down, I just assumed any car, especially one of this level, would simply include this feature 馃槅
Sure does seems strange, the S60 Inscription trim does include the fold down seat, per a 2021 model year window sticker.

Registered
Maybe you can add a pull strap to access it from the cabin? I really don't like this at all. It seems to satisfy no requirements.

Registered
Folding rear seats has been moved to the Premium Package and are not standard. It is not standard, which is inline with other brands (for example the BMW 3 series). Seems like a small item that could be standard, but it's been swapped out to adjust for other features made standard in 2021 (the swiveling headlamps, fog lamps, full digital cluster). The % of cars not built with the Premium Package is minisucle, so most owners have folding seats.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Folding rear seats has been moved to the Premium Package and are not standard. It is not standard, which is inline with other brands (for example the BMW 3 series). Seems like a small item that could be standard, but it's been swapped out to adjust for other features made standard in 2021 (the swiveling headlamps, fog lamps, full digital cluster). The % of cars not built with the Premium Package is minisucle, so most owners have folding seats.
Thanks for the info, I definitely appreciate all those options which are now standard, it definitely sets the S60 apart from the competition.

I did look at the premium package and figured I didn't need any of what was included but didn't realize that meant no folding rear seats.

It's not a big deal, I probably used that feature maybe 3 times max in the past 5 years, just nice to have that flexibility.

Registered
Thanks for the info, I definitely appreciate all those options which are now standard, it definitely sets the S60 apart from the competition.

I did look at the premium package and figured I didn't need any of what was included but didn't realize that meant no folding rear seats.

It's not a big deal, I probably used that feature maybe 3 times max in the past 5 years, just nice to have that flexibility.
To be honest....the fact that it's still possible to fold the seat down seems like you got the best of both worlds....saved money AND got a folding seat!!!!

Registered
Good reminder how marketing gets involved in packaging. Whatever they can do to move stuff around and make those "gotta haves" in the upper packages, to extract all the profit they can, without pissing off too many people on balance with "missing" features. You just know it costs almost nothing for them to put the buttons or a lever in.

I learned recently that the Lotus Evora had power folding mirrors optional for a few hundred bucks. But all Evoras were built with power folding mirrors. If you have one without them, you can buy and install the switch (shared with some other car as Lotus does) yourself cheaply. If you get the option from the factory, they took your money and installed the switch ;-)

Registered
I searched throughout the backseat area and trunk and couldn't find any pull tabs, apparently it's indeed an option that's not included and it would be those buttons noted above like described in the manual.

That said, there is a way to lower them as the rear seats do split and fold. In the trunk, there is a cut-out with a spring inside, if that spring is pulled (kind of hard to get to) it releases the latch.

I'm kind of surprised this is an option as I never had any car before without this feature.

Initially, when I first pulled on the rear seat backs, they folded, so I guess they didn't come fully attached from the factory and when I folded them back, they latched properly. Unless I'm still missing something.

View attachment 119190

View attachment 119191

View attachment 119190

View attachment 119191
Thanks so much!! Hard to believe they'd cut that button. Ya know - I'd trade on exhaust pipe for that. (I can hear the financial smarties saying we'd never notice).

Registered
2016 V60 Cross Country, 2020 V60 Cross Country (Polestar optimized)
Holy crap, this is an example of a day when they lost their damn minds over at Volvo.

Registered
I learned recently that the Lotus Evora had power folding mirrors optional for a few hundred bucks. But all Evoras were built with power folding mirrors. If you have one without them, you can buy and install the switch (shared with some other car as Lotus does) yourself cheaply. If you get the option from the factory, they took your money and installed the switch ;-)
Recently, a friend of mine enabled cruise control that way in a Toyota Hilux truck.

It's more expensive to remove a feature and the software than any missing parts.

Registered
I can't for the life of me find the article now...it was a classic by one of my favorite writers, but the basic gist was that a long time ago...it actually cost more to mount a motor in the door for a power window, or cruise control you had a servo connected to the throttle, solenoids and speed sensor to operate it. Hence you pay more, profit margin is higher on the add-ons, everybody is happy. But now that stuff costs barely anything, and cheap cars will have it. But marketing depts are still playing the options game to extract the most money out of the buyers while still offering value at the low end.

Cruise control is literally a bit of software now.

It appears Volvo has forgotten that many of us use our trunks with the seat backs folded. Does Volvo sell a retrofit latch/handle?
I forget where I have seen it, but I think overseas there are lesser models without the electric switches, they have pull handles in the trunk. No idea if you can have both mounted, part numbers etc. It would be a mystery you need to work out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts