SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So driving a car with all these safety systems is new to me. My old Lexus had ABS and a few air bags. Wife's Mazda has blind-spot and low speed collision braking and cross traffic alert but not the full safety package.

My S60 has no advanced package or park pilot. But that leaves plenty of the standard stuff. So far its unobtrusive. The BLIS is great. A couple systems do kick in a bit and I am getting used to them but wonder if I was better off without:

Lane keep - This kicks in a lot. I live in a suburban bedroom town, small new england backroads, and its summer. That means landscaping trucks parked up against the side of the road, walkers and cyclists out in the roads that have no sidewalk. Just steering around these obstacles, I have to fight the wheel as I cross the center line. Ovepowering it is easy enough, then you endure the rumbling of the wheel in protest. I guess it would be useful that time I am not paying attention, but it fights more than it helps. I also have had the steering nudge a little here and there while sort of hustling down a back road, its real hard to stay in the center of the lane on little windy backroads.

Rear Collision braking - I'll be honest I don't know what this is about. The owner's manual says City Safety doesn't function in reverse, and that the cross traffic and park assist does nothing other than beep and warn you. But twice now, in the same tight Starbucks parking lot in town, the car jammed on the brakes on me while backing out of a spot. The first time a car was turning into a spot 2 down from me while I backed out. The second time a pedestrian was approaching the rear quarter of the car, as I backed out. I confirmed she cleared the corner and was heading toward the front of the car parked beside me. Knowing it was safe I proceeded to backed up BOOM jammed brakes and splashed my coffee all over the center console. Umm...thanks I guess, Volvo?

City Safety - I'm sure this is just my fault taking too much liberties I guess, sometimes when a car you are following is turning off in front of you and you know you will clear it the steering/braking collision avoidance kicks in if you cut it too close. Have had this happen in our Mazda as well. Guess I just need to leave more room ;-)

I don't have a problem otherwise, the park sensors are useful and alert on even low down stuff like parking curbs. I don't really want to just turn the systems off, I might need them someday and I'd like to get used to them. Just seems they can be something to get used to if you are not used to a car putting the smack down on your driving style ;-)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I turn off the collision warning as it was too sensitive and alarmist for my liking. If you tap on the turning signal, and cross the line marking, the wheel will not rumble

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
So driving a car with all these safety systems is new to me. My old Lexus had ABS and a few air bags. Wife's Mazda has blind-spot and low speed collision braking and cross traffic alert but not the full safety package.

Rear Collision braking - I'll be honest I don't know what this is about. The owner's manual says City Safety doesn't function in reverse, and that the cross traffic and park assist does nothing other than beep and warn you. But twice now, in the same tight Starbucks parking lot in town, the car jammed on the brakes on me while backing out of a spot. The first time a car was turning into a spot 2 down from me while I backed out. The second time a pedestrian was approaching the rear quarter of the car, as I backed out. I confirmed she cleared the corner and was heading toward the front of the car parked beside me. Knowing it was safe I proceeded to backed up BOOM jammed brakes and splashed my coffee all over the center console. Umm...thanks I guess, Volvo?

I don't have a problem otherwise, the park sensors are useful and alert on even low down stuff like parking curbs. I don't really want to just turn the systems off, I might need them someday and I'd like to get used to them. Just seems they can be something to get used to if you are not used to a car putting the smack down on your driving style ;-)
I was just about to post and/or call my dealer about this exact issue! In fact, I'd just spent an hour or so trying to find any reference in the manual and came up with the same "...doesn't operate in reverse..." language that you found. Like you, the system (I don't even know what acronym to use for it!) has slammed on the brakes several times, usually when a pedestrian is crossing behind me, but in all cases, car or person, I was aware of them and either rolling slowly or lightly tapping the brakes when BOOM! My S60 Inscription has ALL the safety packages and I don't really want to turn any of them off, especially the collision braking that will warn me and then stop the car before slamming into the car or other object stopped in front of my car.

Does anyone have any idea how this can be adjusted or mitigated without turning off the entire collision system? In addition, the manual indicates that City Safety cannot be deactivated although you can set it for early, normal or late warning distance so if this issue is in the City Safety system we can't turn it off. I think "Rear Collision Warning" in the manual actually refers to the adjustments the car makes when it thinks another vehicle is going to crash into you from the rear.

I was starting to think I was the only one since I couldn't find anything in the forum on this issue when I searched. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cross traffic is important but a bit intrusive. A few times I was straightening my car in a spot and the car slammed on the brakes even though I was aware and nowhere near the traffic flow. But i'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Personally these things I plan on turning off as much as I can when I take delivery. Sorry, don't need the car to second guess me.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
City Safety is the front emergency braking part. There is no option to change or disable it. But it acts really at the last second. So it doesn't bother me at all.
I think Rear Collision Warning is the part that tighten seat belt when you stopped but car behind you may rear end your car. It may also hold harder on brake of your car to be better prepared. Have not experienced this one.

Lane keep is not strong at all on my XC60. It is like some nudge on steering for me. I can easily insist on my turning. Of course turn on signal and it will do nothing. Maybe implemetation is slightly different on S60.

Cross traffic alarm at rear end is really helpful and helped me a few times already.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I love it when customers complain about "the steering vibrates when I change lanes".

USE YOUR DAMN TURN SIGNAL LIKE TRAFFIC LAWS DICTATE!!!!!! Pick up a drivers handbook or go back to school (not directed at anyone particularly here)

Personally, I wish a hand would come out the steering wheel and punch you in the face if you turn or change lanes without a turn signal.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love it when customers complain about "the steering vibrates when I change lanes".

USE YOUR DAMN TURN SIGNAL LIKE TRAFFIC LAWS DICTATE!!!!!! Pick up a drivers handbook or go back to school (not directed at anyone particularly here)

Personally, I wish a hand would come out the steering wheel and punch you in the face if you turn or change lanes without a turn signal.
DO they have this feature on BMW?? Haha that would never fly.

Anyways I'm sure you are just talking in general and not about me, I always use my turn signal, I have no problems on the highway, I can see how that would be annoying to those people who just drift across lanes slowly instead of signaling the change. I mean its their own damn fault but they have to re-learn to use their signals!

What I was referring to is when you have to cross the center line a bit to go around an obstacle which around here, is a lot. Guess I could flip the signal but that might confuse the heck out of others. You solve one problem you cause another. Nothing against the system, it works like a champ. Just a reminder of how complex life is and what these safety systems need to deal with. The car can't figure out, hey that cyclist is in the road, he probably needs to cross the center line to go around him.

·
Registered
38 Posts
“Cross traffic alarm at rear end is really helpful and helped me a few times already.”

I like the alarm and had it on my last car (G80) but we’re talking about alarm PLUS the slamming of the brakes when it deems the cross traffic too close when you’re backing up. I had passengers including my wife last time and she actually felt some whiplash! If you haven’t had this happen yet you don’t know what we are describing. I’m all for safety and LOVE the safety equipment in our cars however this is way too sensitive and over - reactive.

Can anyone find any reference to this “safety feature” in the manual? Has anyone else besides the 2 of us in the thread had the same experience? Wondering whether it’s a feature or a software glitch at this point.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The Cross Traffic Alert with Rear Collision Avoidance is definitely helpful (at times when needed) and terrifyingly over-sensitive when you don't. I have experienced the same situations time and time again. My driveway is a pain to back out of and tends to be pretty busy during the morning. I have an obstructive view on both sides and there is an adequate amount of space on the side of the road past the solid marked line left for exactly this, yet at least every other morning, my car will slam on the brakes. Meanwhile, i'm creeping and almost stationary with my foot already on the brake. I feel, as most of the other systems the car has, the vehicle should not activate the brake feature unless deemed absolutely necessary when your foot is on the brake to a certain degree, while also factoring in speed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
CTA and RCA are 2 entirely different features aren't they? CTA just beeps to warn the driver if there is cross traffic behind the car when in reverse. There is no mention in the manual of it applying the brakes to avoid hitting the cross traffic. It can be disengaged with Sensus. RCA is designed to help the driver avoid rear end collisions from vehicles approaching from behind. It only activates the foot brake in order to reduce the forward acceleration of the car during the collision. The car must be stationary for the brake to be engaged. I don't think it can be disabled. From the manual, I can't even determine whether the sudden braking when in Reverse will be disabled if I deactivate CTA. Again, I like the warning...and even the braking if the system is "tuned" to an appropriate sensitivity, but what we're describing can't be how Volvo engineers expected the system to perform, can it?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I understand RCA to be collision preparation when you are about to get rear ended. Can't figure out which feature is the reversing one. I need to pay more attention to the display when it happens, I think it says "collision avoidance activated" but I don't recall. It holds on to those brakes for what seems like forever when you are trying to move away, looking like the idiot that slammed on the brakes for no reason ha.

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
There was a pretty damning article on Jalopnik slamming (no pun intended) the overly aggressive safety systems. It does seem like some can be attributed to laziness on the reviewer's part to customize the settings, but the RCA feature was especially troublesome for him.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-volvo-v60-is-not-the-ideal-family-wagon-it-see-1836540579
Nice find and interesting that other reviewers haven't commented on this issue (and I've read and watched countless reviews of the S/V60). Again, I don't think this is the RCA but some combination of CTA and auto braking. Also interested that Volvo support emailed him instructions (which he didn't bother with) on how to adjust the sensitivity of the system. I'll be doing that as well as calling the Service Manager at my dealer and ask him to research it. I'm betting it is in a TSB somewhere. I'm also wondering if other Volvo models with the same software/sensors have the same.....defect. The part he mentioned about hard braking followed by a shift into N is particularly troubling. This may require a note to the NHTSA at some point.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Happened again today in a parking lot. There was a shopper behind at to the right of me that was at least 15 and I was barely moving. I'm going to write to Volvo support as well as check with the Service Manager as to how to disable or at least moderate the sensitivity of "feature". Btw, the message in the driver display read: "Cross Traffic Alert Intervention" (I think!). For now, even though I like the "Alert" part (beeps), I'm going to disable CTA in Sensus and see if that stops the braking "intervention".

·
Registered
38 Posts
So, I spoke with the Service manager at my dealer who check with his tech guy. He checked the S60 manual on the Volvo manual app (which I hadn't yet downloaded) and we found an interesting discrepancy between the version of the manual found online and the version in the Sensus system of the car (and app). The app/car version includes language regarding the auto brake intervention during a CTA while the online manual does not mention it once in its 647 pages. Unfortunately the "correct" version in the car also says that while you can deactivate the CTA, the auto brake intervention cannot be disabled! The tech confirmed this while also saying that they've not had any customer complaints about it yet. He also said that, as far as he knows, there is no way to regulate the sensitivity of the auto brake. So there's that.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Havent had the cross traffic/braking or city safety used yet. But the alerts while driving, blis, camera while driving indicating close car/object, especially the lane assist even in standard sensitivity setting is really good.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
It brakes for rear cross traffic but why it doesn't brake when using Park Assist. Em weird decision.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The only thing that ever bothered me was the "assist" part in the LKA. I switched it to just "vibrate". The reason for it was - I go to Philly a lot, and there are lots of road work there with lane lines painted all over, and the vehicle was getting confused as to where the lane was. So it just vibrates now, which is fine.
Other than that - love all the aids, they're all extremely useful. CTA auto-brake kicked in once when I was backing out of convenience store parking lot (very slowly) and a freaking kid came flying around the corner on a skateboard. Car stopped. I wouldn't have because I couldn't see him.
Over the years I've seen constant moaning about the driver aids, and it always amazes me that no matter how much technology progresses, you can't replace the stupid in people.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts

My S60 has no advanced package or park pilot. But that leaves plenty of the standard stuff. So far its unobtrusive. The BLIS is great. A couple systems do kick in a bit and I am getting used to them but wonder if I was better off without:

Lane keep - This kicks in a lot. I live in a suburban bedroom town, small new england backroads, and its summer. That means landscaping trucks parked up against the side of the road, walkers and cyclists out in the roads that have no sidewalk. Just steering around these obstacles, I have to fight the wheel as I cross the center line. Ovepowering it is easy enough, then you endure the rumbling of the wheel in protest. I guess it would be useful that time I am not paying attention, but it fights more than it helps. I also have had the steering nudge a little here and there while sort of hustling down a back road, its real hard to stay in the center of the lane on little windy backroads.

City Safety - I'm sure this is just my fault taking too much liberties I guess, sometimes when a car you are following is turning off in front of you and you know you will clear it the steering/braking collision avoidance kicks in if you cut it too close. Have had this happen in our Mazda as well. Guess I just need to leave more room ;-)

I had a 2019 S60 T6 AWD loaner for a day. I found the lane keeping aid to be overly annoying and aggressive.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts