SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really hate this feature. I know it's only a swipe and a button click to disable, but still why doesn't the software remember that I don't want it via my key? Anyone know how to hardcode this off? I know my BMW I had to take to the dealer and they reprogrammed the feature to remember the previous setting.

I've also noticed that some of the features like the camera setting (top view) does not start with default even though I saved that? Anyone else noticing these kind of memory issues?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't think you can disable it without manually hitting the icon at startup. How did you set your top view camera to come on automatically? When I put the car into reverse, the rear view camera comes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Don't think you can disable it without manually hitting the icon at startup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is correct. Or just drive the car in Dynamic mode.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The feature can't be disabled in a way that survives being the default the next time you drive. However there are several easy work-arounds short of hitting the icon that people have noted on previous topics and above:

1) If you hit the drive mode and scroll to the bottom (if you haven't set an "Individual Drive Mode" and click it will go into Dynamic which doesn't use it. Because it's the bottom choice you don't even have to look which makes the action easier.

2) If you don't want to drive in Dynamic you can use Individual Drive Mode to create a profile that basically matches comfort but without start/stop and do the same as above at the start of each drive.

3) You can pop the clutch over the manual gear shifting every time you stop and don't want the engine off. That will keep it on.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My guess is that they will never allow us to bypass the auto-default on setting because that's how they determined the fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
FWIIW, the Stop-Start feature on both of my 2015.5 V60s works much more smoothly and unobtrusively after I put about 8-10K miles on the vehicles. The naysayers just might want to give the car a chance to settle in before making a final judgement.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My guess is that they will never allow us to bypass the auto-default on setting because that's how they determined the fuel economy.
You would think that, however thats incorrect (+2). For BMW when they first introduced the start stop function it was on by default after every vehicle start. You could manually defeat it with the push button. People complained, BMW eventually launched a TSB with a free reprogram of the system, where the system would recall the last user setting of the system (on or off) and that was that. No EPA recall to recalc fuel economy. I can only assume that Volvo is open to suggestions on their systems, and would be easily to offer a software solution similarly.

·
Registered
673 Posts
You would think that, however thats incorrect (+2). For BMW when they first introduced the start stop function it was on by default after every vehicle start. You could manually defeat it with the push button. People complained, BMW eventually launched a TSB with a free reprogram of the system, where the system would recall the last user setting of the system (on or off) and that was that. No EPA recall to recalc fuel economy. I can only assume that Volvo is open to suggestions on their systems, and would be easily to offer a software solution similarly.
That's good to know. It means there is still a chance Volvo will listen to its customers and allow people to turn it off permanently if they desire.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed. I hope Volvo provides something to turn it off.

IS anyone aware of any studies about the impact to the engine that is constantly going on/off? I could have swore when I was reading through the BMW manual they mentioned something that the start/stop feature could impact the engine.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'll be the one to bring up driver profiles in this thread. They're currently MIA but expected as soon as the November update, and should enable starting up in either dynamic or an individual mode with start/stop turned off.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I worked for BMW during this and if it was -MY2013 they could perform a software upgrade per customer request to disable start/stop. MY2014- could not be disabled by software. Reason was EPA laws and the Emission Certification being Certified with Start/Stop feature. You don't want to know how many "My car stalls when it stops" complaints I fielded. Its a feature that is here to stay though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think it kicks in too early. Volvo, please add a setting to add a small time delay before the engine stops. Currently it interferes with the process of stopping the car smoothly. I now shift into manual as I stop, but when I change back to automatic the engine will not auto - stop. Also if I stop to reverse the engine stops which is crazy!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
So, you are telling us that today BMW still allows one to permanently defeat its start/stop function on their MY15 or MY16 cars? I don't think so (and they can claim whatever EPA mileage they claim)...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
my 18 year old daughter has searched for her new car every weekend for 10 weeks calls the car salespersons "sleazemen".

i guess you fit the model............greacian

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'm bemused how some Swedespeed commenters have chosen such unwittingly appropriate pseudonyms for themselves, even though if they can't spell other commenters screen-names.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
So, you are telling us that today BMW still allows one to permanently defeat its start/stop function on their MY15 or MY16 cars? I don't think so (and they can claim whatever EPA mileage they claim)...
Permanently? As in never ever come on again? No. But that's not what coolasice said.

From a 2016 bmw owners manual:

After every start of the engine using the Start/
Stop button, the Auto Start/Stop function is in
the last selected state

I guess technically if one turns it off and never touches the button again or resets their whole car, some could consider that 'permanent' enough.

The above seems like a reasonable option to have. I personally would try my best to live with start/stop but I can understand that some people might really want it always off for whatever reasons.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
FWIIW, the Stop-Start feature on both of my 2015.5 V60s works much more smoothly and unobtrusively after I put about 8-10K miles on the vehicles. The naysayers just might want to give the car a chance to settle in before making a final judgement.
Did you go through the first 8-10k miles with it enabled (Stop/Start working). Just curious how it may affect break in. Good to hear it becomes more smooth over time.

I don't currently have a vehicle with the feature. I have wondered how it affects break-in, wear over time given it's a feature that's here to stay and plays a role in consumption and emissions. I imagine it requires a higher service/duty starter, and as I learned here and from our Volvo dealer that the reason Drive-Es have 2 batteries is that one serves exclusively for the start/stop function.

·
Registered
69 Posts
All we are asking for is the ability to turn it off and have it stay off when the vehicle is restarted.
As far as this being addressed in the November update... I'll believe when I see it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts