SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the life of me, I can't figure this out. I know around the corner, the lamps will activate based on if you turn left or right. There are times I have seen a reflections from the cars ahead of me that the fog lamps are on. However, there have been times where the lamps are off and you have to hit the button to turn them on. Can someone give me a 101 course on how the fog lamps work and how I can have them on all the time without having to press the button.

Thanks!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I think they are more "driving" llights than fog lights. I think the car turns them on when it detects there needs to be more light and when cars are not coming towards you. The button is just an override.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The fog lamps will add more illumination if needed. You can manually turn them on just like the rear fog lights. There are two buttons on the left stalk. In the settings menu, you can also set them as cornering lights so as you turn the steering wheel or use the turn signal, the corner illumination will occur. I don't believe they automatically turn on when more light is needed but I do know that they turn on automatically when backing up and corner illumination works under 20 mph. Unfortunately, the fog lights will turn off once you shut the engine off. There is no setting to keep them on all the time or a physical button like some cars. I assume it is to conserve power.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Does this help explain it for you? (Not being sarcastic, I do hope this helps if you haven't seen it)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for all the replies, they are very helpful. @Paradox, I did read that in the manual. My question was more towards when does it automatically come on and stay on versus using the button.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Too bad there's no fog lights on the T8 :( :mad: :facepalm:

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
My question was more towards when does it automatically come on and stay on versus using the button.

I have to guess then that you witnessed them on in the reflection when they should not have been on. The fog lamps come on automatically under the circumstances shown in the manual. The right will come on automatically when making a right turn at low speeds. The left will come on automatically when making a left at low speeds. And they both come on automatically when in reverse. They should not come on automatically, that has been told to us, in any other way unless you turn them on by pressing the button.

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I would like an explanation too! GrecianVolvo where are you lol??

·
Registered
7 Posts
The T8 doesn't have fog lights because there is a radiator for the battery cooling system behind the bumper on the right side. The fog lights were removed so the radiator could get more airflow.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
The T8 doesn't have fog lights because there is a radiator for the battery cooling system behind the bumper on the right side. The fog lights were removed so the radiator could get more airflow.
Thanks for the detailed explanation, it's appreciated.

First manufacturers have to remove spare tires from plug-ins, now it's the fog lights, lol. (Humor)

·
Registered
174 Posts
So when the thick fogs desends we will stop our T8s on the roadside

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is correct. Yesterday my T8 was delivered without fog lights. They gave exact this explanation.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Unfortunately, the fog lights will turn off once you shut the engine off. There is no setting to keep them on all the time or a physical button like some cars. I assume it is to conserve power.
This is strange. The fogs on my R stay on once activated and always show as "ON" in my instrument display at start-up. I have not had to turn them on once since day one! I wonder if this is because I activated them AND have selected AUTO for the lights. Although they are automatically "ON" I do not believe that they actually illuminate until ambient darkness kicks them on and dims the interior display to night mode (i.e. when you go into a dark tunnel or it when it just gets dark out enough outside).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts