SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
should unscrew dust cap, then unplug harness from bulb, then undo the metal clip (looks like a paper clip horseshoe) this secures the bulb in place.

once you get it then you will erase this post because how easy it is lol.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: How do I replace my headlight bulbs (ss60)

Quote, originally posted by ss60 »
Try page 149 of the owners manual. or click the link below.

http://apps.volvocars.us/owner...pg149

I did look in my manual, I have a different setup. there is no retaining clip, and I can't get the actual bulb out.
Maybe this is a dumb question, but I guess I have to take out my entire headlights?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: How do I replace my headlight bulbs (Turbos60)

Thanks! Is there a good way to access the bulb? The intake is in the way...I'm not afraid to take it out though.
The bulb seems really stuck in there, why is such a simple task so hard?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Okay, if the bulb is a bulb that has a socket with 3 flat metal prongs, then once you have access to the bulb, it should come out real easy. If you can't seperate the conneciton from the bulb, look for a metal clip that is on the connection, and with a thin flat screw driver, insert it onto one side of the clip and push it off, then repeat for the other side.

If the bulb socket looks like this, then you might have to use a pair of pliers to loosen it. Do not force it off.

(I hope the link works)

If the bulb socket has a plastic housing similar to this, I believe you have to twist the bulb to get it out. And it can be a bit of a hassle (although more so when trying to get one in) to come off, because they usually have three plastic tabs that have to line up.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Paysts)

So the bulbs are just held in by the 3 tabs? 2 of them are the same, and 1 is enlarged.
I've replaced bulbs on 6 or 7 different types of cars, but none have been like this. I don't know if the bulb is melted together with the housing, or if it's just stuck from years of sitting in there. I don't wanna torque it too hard and have it shatter.

Maybe I'll just take off my intake, take out my headlights, start from scratch and make it all real easy.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I was going to say: I recently invested in a box of latex gloves. I had grown sick-and-tired of getting my hands all disgusting whenever I wanted to do anything under the hood...

Good luck on your headlight bulbs. If they're anything near as difficult to remove as those blasted turn-signal bulbs, I'd probably try and get someone else to give me a hand (pun intended!) with it.

Quote, originally posted by DGBibo »
you could take out the airbox, but thats a PITA.
I so badly wanted to do that to get to the left turn signal bulb, but it wouldn't pop-out as easily as the one in my 850 did...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got my drivers side out, it was a PITA.
The passenger side looks impossible. The ECU box is right there, almost on top of the dust cap. How do you replace that side?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
i believe i came from the radiator side and up and under with my right hand, and grabbed with my left from the top. pretty much you have to weave around all the tubes and hoses and wires and ECU and manage to not unplug any wires, or pop off any vacuum lines or hoses. HAVE FUN! lol

·
Registered
517 Posts
Re: (Tiny)

I wear XL gloves as well. I recently changed the bulbs not long after your original post, to see what was up.

First off, remove the dust cap. You can put your hand straight down and open it with your fingers. If you need, you can remove the top of the ECU box which is held in by some clips on the side.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
do you have a wife or daughter with smaller hands that wouldn't mind breaking a nail?

i think once you get it you know what to do, the first time is always hard, i have large but not extra large and i was a pain so i feel for ya.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (DGBibo)

I just can't get my hands inside the headlight, especially on the passenger side. I removed the cover of the ECU, and it didn't do much for me. I'm 6'5", so apparently I'm just not built for changing these bulbs haha. Thanks for the help and advice guys.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts