SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to jump start my volvo xc60 2013, but have trouble opening the battery cover! The manual just says 'Open the clips on the front cover and remove the cover'. How do you 'open the clips' ?

Can't really jump start it if I can't get off a cover can I ?

Why over-engineer simple things like this ?

https://imgur.com/a/CilyPFN

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I'd hardly call it over engineered. There are four clips along the outside edges that hold the cover down. Pull them outward and lift the cover up.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd hardly call it over engineered. There are four clips along the outside edges that hold the cover down. Pull them outward and lift the cover up.
There are 2 'flat' clips at the front (facing me), and 2 raised ones on the side. I tried to 'pull' the raised ones and snapped the left side broken (which is fine as it is now loose), but don't want to snap the right side again. But how do i deal with the 2 flat ones ? There's no place grip anywhere on the 2 front flat ones.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I got the clips to unhook (by breaking them), and one of them is too to another component for any hand to reach.

So now I see this, I can't telh which one is positive. I know the red wires leads to the positive, so is it the left most one in this picture that is the positive?

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Red is Positive..Black is Negative....

So the bolt with the threads sticking upward and a nut around it is the Positive. The second connection that is flush to the battery is the negative.
Holy cow.

Pleeeeease stop guessing in threads here. That whole connection is positive. Normally your posts based on how you think things work vs. reality and experience aren't going to damage anything but this one will.

To the OP:
If you followed this advice and damaged something and want compensation from MyVolvoS60, let me know so we can write a letter to him explaining how he was wrong and that caused damage to your car or the jumping car or battery cables.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Holy cow.

Pleeeeease stop guessing in threads here. That whole connection is positive. Normally your posts based on how you think things work vs. reality and experience aren't going to damage anything but this one will.

To the OP:
If you followed this advice and damaged something and want compensation from MyVolvoS60, let me know so we can write a letter to him explaining how he was wrong and that caused damage to your car or the jumping car or battery cables.
I've deleted my advice...Which is based on a NORMAL car battery.. I've jumped a car before plenty of times... What stupid thing did Volvo do to its batteries to make jumping so complicated

Whole battery is positive? What the hell? Did batteries somehow no longer have a red and black wire? Seems like one really odd way is to have ONLY a positive... So where is the negative / Ground then? - Hell even a Volvo Dealer shows itself jumping a battery... Didn't know Volvo rewrote the book and made things STUPIDLY complicated

https://www.volvocarssandiego.com/battery-service-coronado-ca.htm

battery.jpg

·
Registered
4,963 Posts

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
I never said the whole battery is positive. This is a normal battery.

The "bolt with the threads sticking upward and a nut around it" is quite obviously connected to the only battery terminal shown in the picture, which is also quite obviously positive.
I am wrong. I see the + on that side..

So where is ground on the battery? Very odd setup to have Positive Accessible but no clearly visible - Negative for ground.

FYI very stupid of Volvo to have the Red Wire...and then Second Wire being Black to the POSITIVE.....I guess the days of color coated caps are dead....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In any case, I got a friend to try to jump start it, and then with the wires hooked when I try to start it, it got electricity (window, radio, etc all work fine), but engine won't start. The dashboard says 'check engine' and also says something about 'Valet lock' ? Basically when I press the start button with my foot on the brake, it initiates the electrical system successfully, but fails to start the engine.

Now, with the wires unhooked, the car is completely dead: no response at all, no message on dashboard.

I'm scheduling to get it towed into a dealer.

What could most likely be the problem ?

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I am wrong. I see the + on that side..

So where is ground on the battery? Very odd setup to have Positive Accessible but no clearly visible - Negative for ground.

FYI very stupid of Volvo to have the Red Wire...and then Second Wire being Black to the POSITIVE.....I guess the days of color coated caps are dead....
Where could the negative be? Gee, I don't know... maybe on the other end of the battery. Like any other basic automotive battery.
They have the positive accessible by one cover and the ground by the other cover. You don't need to connect directly to ground unless the battery is totally dead. The owner's manual clearly says to connect the jumping battery to a ground point.

Just because you or the OP can't figure it out doesn't mean its a crazy stupid overengineered design. It is pretty basic.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
In any case, I got a friend to try to jump start it, and then with the wires hooked when I try to start it, it got electricity (window, radio, etc all work fine), but engine won't start. The dashboard says 'check engine' and also says something about 'Valet lock' ? Basically when I press the start button with my foot on the brake, it initiates the electrical system successfully, but fails to start the engine.

Now, with the wires unhooked, the car is completely dead: no response at all, no message on dashboard.

I'm scheduling to get it towed into a dealer.

What could most likely be the problem ?
The most likely problem is a dead battery.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Where could the negative be? Gee, I don't know... maybe on the other end of the battery. Like any other basic automotive battery.
They have the positive accessible by one cover and the ground by the other cover. You don't need to connect directly to ground unless the battery is totally dead. The owner's manual clearly says to connect the jumping battery to a ground point.

Just because you or the OP can't figure it out doesn't mean its a crazy stupid overengineered design. It is pretty basic.
O, I figure it's hidden under the molding / trim on the other side, if I were to venture a guess. I was being a bit facetious on this response. Total idiotic and hair brain design...under engineered would be proper terminology.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I've never seen someone so mad about a design because it simply requires a screwdriver and some common sense. I don't think the engineers are too upset that someone who suggested jumping a car by hooking power and ground to the same terminal doesn't like their "design" of a simple battery cover. Your car has the same thing. So start preparing for your buyback case.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've never seen someone so mad about a design because it simply requires a screwdriver and some common sense. I don't think the engineers are too upset that someone who suggested jumping a car by hooking power and ground to the same terminal doesn't like their "design" of a simple battery cover. Your car has the same thing. So start preparing for your buyback case.
When did I suggest hooking power and ground to same terminal ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts