SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,
A few recent posts re salvaging premium sound hardware has got me curious as to what I have installed. Are there easy tell tale signs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
If the lower portion of your front door is covered in leather instead of plastic, and your speaker grille is shaped like this:

This one would not have had premium sound:

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
There's also a better head unit. I think it would be HU 803 for the '04 cars.

·
Registered
445 Posts
There's also a better head unit. I think it would be HU 803 for the '04 cars.
Definitely, I forgot about that. For 05 and up I think it‘s HU-650?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Speakers are carbon fibre instead of paper, PN LABEL is yellow. Here is photo. In addition head unit is HI-803 and HU-850 (I believe) with under the seat power amp PA300 (300w).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
13,463 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, pretty sure my doors are plain plastic. Good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,305 Posts

HU 803 in my 03

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
So my doors have the larger wrap around grills like the first door panel picture, but I have a HU-613 which is NOT premium nor do I have the under seat power amp. My '04 DOES have the premium and sport packages however which include the rear shelf speakers (so I have 8 total throughout the car). There's more than just the standard and premium sound packages for our cars. Standard has 4 or 6 speakers I believe, premium vehicle package adds the rear hat shelf "8 speakers and then there's the premium surround package which comes with 13 total speakers and the HU-850 or HU-650 plus the external under seat amp and upgraded speakers.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Some S60s had the premium audio door panels, but not the premium audio.

·
Registered
924 Posts
So my doors have the larger wrap around grills like the first door panel picture, but I have a HU-613 which is NOT premium nor do I have the under seat power amp. My '04 DOES have the premium and sport packages however which include the rear shelf speakers (so I have 8 total throughout the car). There's more than just the standard and premium sound packages for our cars. Standard has 4 or 6 speakers I believe, premium vehicle package adds the rear hat shelf "8 speakers and then there's the premium surround package which comes with 13 total speakers and the HU-850 or HU-650 plus the external under seat amp and upgraded speakers.
Not sure how you get 13 speakers. My 04 xc70 has 11, including centre one.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Not sure how you get 13 speakers. My 04 xc70 has 11, including centre one.

This applies to the S60 specifically, XC/V70 is totally different being a wagon as opposed to a sedan... Apparently the S60 rear shelf speakers count as 2 speakers each since the high/mid is separate from the woofer. But per the 2005 S60 sale brochure, the premium Dolby surround system has 13 speakers.

·
Registered
924 Posts
This applies to the S60 specifically, XC/V70 is totally different being a wagon as opposed to a sedan... Apparently the S60 rear shelf speakers count as 2 speakers each since the high/mid is separate from the woofer. But per the 2005 S60 sale brochure, the premium Dolby surround system has 13 speakers.
Ah... forgot this was not XC thread! Makes sense.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
By that logic the center dash speaker should be counted as 2 speakers.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
By that logic the center dash speaker should be counted as 2 speakers.
Is that one a coax with a center mounted tweeter on top? If so, I think that they (being Volvo) consider it separates or component set if each speaker is separate from the other. That's my guess on their logic of it though. The rear shelf I'd still consider a single unit per side... Either way in my car, I've completely muted the high frequencies from the rear shelf speaker so that it acts like a subwoofer of sorts using the trunk space for resonance.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Is that one a coax with a center mounted tweeter on top? If so, I think that they (being Volvo) consider it separates or component set if each speaker is separate from the other. That's my guess on their logic of it though. The rear shelf I'd still consider a single unit per side... Either way in my car, I've completely muted the high frequencies from the rear shelf speaker so that it acts like a subwoofer of sorts using the trunk space for resonance.
Yes. If the rear deck coaxial speakers are considered a separate woofer and tweeter, then the front center speaker should be. Marketing.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright just so I have this straight if I’m heading to the wreck yard To upgrade my S60 to premium sound I should pick up:
One front Dash centermounted speaker
Two speakers in each front door
One speaker in each rear door
Two shelf speakers behind back seats
One amplifier underneath front passenger seat
There is no sub woofer anywhere is there?
Am I missing anything?
...a head unit too of course!

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
924 Posts
Sub is an option and I don’t recall it being included in any audio package.

Rest is ok it you forget new tweeters as well. Just make sure the door panels will fit dual speakers. Your car likely has single speaker grille. For removal/installation, please be careful with rivets it’s easy to snap the plastic mounting points. Take your time.

Make sure head units are the same model year for canbus. I believe 01-02 is the same 03-04 is the same but different from the first two and 05 on, different yet again.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Don't forget the tweeters in the front doors. They are different for the premium audio.

I do have all the premium audio components for the S60, except the HU and center speaker. PM me if you are interested.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts