SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been digging for the last couple of days, both here and elsewhere online, and I'm still not feeling like I know for sure yet if our 2011 XC90 3.2 AWD has Nivomat shocks, even though I've read several threads.

The local shop that we've taken it to the last couple of years said the rear shocks are blown (and leaking maybe?), and want like $400 per side to fix them. This doesn't seem like Nivomat pricing to me (esp since this place is pretty expensive), but they also told me our shocks are "special ones" or some such line.

I just went underneath with a flashlight but it's nearly impossible to see the telltale boot or not. I'd read on here that there's a long string of digits on the chassis plate, under the VIN, that will tell you, but the thread indicated said plate was in the engine bay and I didn't have any luck finding one there. I did, however, find one on the passenger side B-Pillar (see pic). Is this correct? If so, and if I'm reading this correctly, I believe it means that our XC90 does *not* have Nivomat shocks.

I'd appreciate any help possible. I'd like to get the parts ordered so my brother and I can do this repair soon. Thanks!

http://tinypic.com/r/117a1s6/9

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Search the XC90 forum using the term "nivomat code", see what you get back. If you're a 26 or 48, you have nivomat. If you're a 25, 58 or 65 you do not have nivomat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can you see a sticker on the current shock with a part number? I just replaced the Nivomats on my '06 this weekend. I'm pretty sure they had been there for 13 years (because the 3rd row carpet hadn't been cut yet), and the info on the stickers was still quite clear.

If you do have Nivomats, I believe you should see one of these part numbers:
30635776 - "marked 48"
30683451 - "marked 26"

Worst case just Google the part number and you should be able to find more info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you see a sticker on the current shock with a part number? I just replaced the Nivomats on my '06 this weekend. I'm pretty sure they had been there for 13 years (because the 3rd row carpet hadn't been cut yet), and the info on the stickers was still quite clear.

If you do have Nivomats, I believe you should see one of these part numbers:
30635776 - "marked 48"
30683451 - "marked 26"

Worst case just Google the part number and you should be able to find more info.
I don't know how you guys can find these stickers/numbers. I can't find a dang thing. I guess I can always call the dealer and have them run my VIN....

·
Registered
819 Posts
$400 a side does sound like Nivomat pricing. You can buy "conversion" kits for around $800 that give you all of the parts needed. Worst comes to worst, crawl underneath and snap a picture of your shocks, someone here could tell you pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The quick and dirty method is to load the back of the truck up with some weight - enough to compress the suspension a bit. Go for a quick drive. About 1/2 minutes.
If after the driver the suspension is back at normal ride height, there's a good chance you have it.
Remove the weight, if the ride height RAISES UP beyond the normal height for a few minutes then settles back down then you definitely have it.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
From the photo in Post#1

32 = Front Suspension Spring Code
47 = Front Suspension Strut Code
Z = Front Anti-Sway Bar Code
36 = Rear Suspension Spring Code
65 = Rear Suspension Shock Code
9 = Rear Anti-Sway Bar Code
8 = Front Suspension Bump Stop Code
2 = Rear Suspension Bump Stop Code

Interior code- C900, Off Black

Paint Code- 492 (shade 46), Savile Grey Pearl

Refer to post #2 for reference, this car has a 65 rear shock. Replacement is PN 31329767.

*Order new top supports when you order the shocks- 31277888 and consider using new bottom bolts- 985215

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Came across a mention on a parts list for the XC90 Nivomat that notes the 48 rear shock code as damped for Sport/RD, and the 26 as damped to align with the rest. Adding a quick post for a technical reference when Sport RD owners come looking. Thread title is great, kudos to the OP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts