SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I'm debating if I should replace leaking heat core or I have to just drop the asking price? Trying to sell the car, and noticed "the odor" and window fogging lately :(

So the question is how much hassles the replacement? Is non-oem part OK? Depo etc..
I remember I saw the alternative way to do the job ,without taking everything apart. .

Thanks in advance
p_k

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
would definietely reccommend OEM if you plan to keep it., they usually give off way more heat than non OEMs, but as long as its tight and correctly done, I dont see it as a reason to drop asking price. as for the job, its done in an hour, maybe two. no big hassle.

·
Registered
439 Posts
It is very clearly laid out on MVS. Just search for Volvo 850 heater core replacement. Took me less than an hour for the first time. Have towels and a garbage bag handy for any drips.

·
Registered
226 Posts
...just spent $340 on parts from the dealer, plan on keeping teh car another 15 years, took a few hours slowly gallivanting.

make sure to get the black piece that goes through the firewall as well if you want.

·
Registered
129 Posts
...just spent $340 on parts from the dealer, plan on keeping teh car another 15 years, took a few hours slowly gallivanting.

make sure to get the black piece that goes through the firewall as well if you want.
+1 on this. If your doing the heater core might as well do the entire system. I did my core and sprung a leak in my line from the motor..less than a week later while changing the lines, I cracked the black box in the firewall. would have been so easy to do it all in 1 shot from the start.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have changed several of them and pull every one at the JY to see if it's newish. I am able to pull them in about 8 minutes. They can be installed in about 12 minutes. I never mess with the lines that go up to the firewall. I pull the screw between the lines at it's base and pull it loose there.

It is a good idea to REPLACE every heat / coolant related hose if the car is over 10 years old. So many of these cars are killed because some old water hose exploded while going down the freeway. If that happens, you loose your coolant in about 15 seconds and over heat in about a minute. Not much time to see what's going on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts