SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How did they end up going from sexy to boxy and back again?

Saw this old timer at the supermarket the other day - nice lines.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Because they were following styling trends; round, then boxy with some variation, and round again. :rolleyes: Personally, I think the 140s, 240s and 9xx series were better than most of the boxes of their day, but many of the round again Volvo styles are too much the same as other cars for my liking, except maybe for the C30.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Nice find, DMac - thanks for sharing.

That 1800E appears all-original and well maintained - make mine white.

The P1800 was not styled by frozen Swedes but by hot-bodied Italians (FRUA) and rendered from clay by old-world Prussian craftsmen (Karmann).

I'm guessing this blue beauty to be a '71.

George Dill

·
Super Moderator
3,794 Posts
Notice what appears to be a S60 in front of the P1800 in the last pic.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Notice what appears to be a S60 in front of the P1800 in the last pic.
Uh - yeah, that's mine.

Way back in the 60's my dad had an old P544 - red ( like this one).

I don't know what it is about my area (Piedmont Triad central NC) but we seem to have lots of Volvos of all kinds

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That 444 is pretty sweet.... love the split windshield.

·
Super Moderator
3,794 Posts
I don't know what it is about my area (Piedmont Triad central NC) but we seem to have lots of Volvos of all kinds
Ever meet a guy named Tom Rudolph? I lived in Greensboro from '69 to '83 and he was big in Volvo circles there in the latter half of that time frame. He was into 122s...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ever meet a guy named Tom Rudolph? I lived in Greensboro from '69 to '83 and he was big in Volvo circles there in the latter half of that time frame. He was into 122s...
No I never met or heard of him... thats not saying much though.
I worked in Greensboro up until about a year ago, ever since I moved to NC back in 1993.
I lived in Winston and now (15 years) in Clemmons.
Both of these areas have a lot of affluent neighborhoods and their are a lot of nice Euro rides around.
One of the techs at my vet's office has an R (female too).
I would say BMWs are the most prevalent, then you have your Audis and MBs and an bunch of Volvos.

Is Tom in the resto business or just a collector?

·
Super Moderator
3,794 Posts
Is Tom in the resto business or just a collector?
Tom is an interesting character. He DID work at the Natural Science Center on Lawndale Drive in Greensboro. As stated, he owned and worked on several 122s in differing states of repair.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I think it goes beyond just styling trends. Square is easier to manufacture, therefore cheaper to make.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts