SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So somehow I have managed to lock my key fob (transponder) in the car. In the driver's side door pocket none the less. Anyone have a clue how I did that? I remember locking the door by pushing the button on the door handle last night.

This morning I realized that I had left the keys inside but the door won't open. I do know that when I locked the door I also had my wife's transponder on my person as I was also doing stuff with her car. Is that what did it? Any ideas on how to retrieve my keys (other than wait 10 hours for her to come back home from work)?

Thanx

Spike

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Her fob shouldn't work with your vehicle so having her key should not have played a role in you being able to lock the car. Perhaps since you left it in the door the car did not know the key was inside the vehicle and simply allowed you to lock it. If that's the case then I'm surprised you can't unlock it. I believe there is an antenna near the center console so it's possible that's picking up the signal now which is keeping the car from letting you unlock the door.

Granted, it's hours later so I'm guessing you've solved this by now. Since it's a 2012 don't you have an extra key that came with your car?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Her fob shouldn't work with your vehicle so having her key should not have played a role in you being able to lock the car. Perhaps since you left it in the door the car did not know the key was inside the vehicle and simply allowed you to lock it. If that's the case then I'm surprised you can't unlock it. I believe there is an antenna near the center console so it's possible that's picking up the signal now which is keeping the car from letting you unlock the door.

Granted, it's hours later so I'm guessing you've solved this by now. Since it's a 2012 don't you have an extra key that came with your car?
His wifes key that he mentioned was most likely for that car, allowing the door to lock.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, that was the case. I had my wife's key ring to get into her car, but it also had on it her key fob for my car. She was able to unlock it when she go home.

What surprised me about this though was that the car was locked tight with my key fob inside of it. I would have thought simply pulling on the handle would have opened it.

Spike

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yes, that was the case. I had my wife's key ring to get into her car, but it also had on it her key fob for my car. She was able to unlock it when she go home.

What surprised me about this though was that the car was locked tight with my key fob inside of it. I would have thought simply pulling on the handle would have opened it.

Spike
Ah, when you said you were doing stuff with your wife's car it didn't sound like you were referring to her copy of your key.

It's actually good that the car can lock tightly with the fob inside. Otherwise you'd never be able to secure yourself inside of your car. Anyone who walked up to the door while you were inside could easily get in regardless of whether you wanted them to or not.

·
Super Moderator
3,778 Posts
So somehow I have managed to lock my key fob (transponder) in the car. In the driver's side door pocket none the less. Anyone have a clue how I did that? I remember locking the door by pushing the button on the door handle last night.

This morning I realized that I had left the keys inside but the door won't open. I do know that when I locked the door I also had my wife's transponder on my person as I was also doing stuff with her car. Is that what did it? Any ideas on how to retrieve my keys (other than wait 10 hours for her to come back home from work)?

Thanx

Spike
Both my Volvos have come with regular keys as well as key fobs. Didn't you get one? Maybe, if not, you should get an extra key...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Both my Volvos have come with regular keys as well as key fobs. Didn't you get one? Maybe, if not, you should get an extra key...
Do you mean regular keys in addition to the PCC? I'm guessing not since you have a 2007 V70 listed in your signature.

He has the new style key which has the key built into the fob as a backup if your battery ever dies. If you lock the fob in the car you've locked the physical key in as well because they're one unit. I guess you could theoretically keep the key separate but that's not really what was intended by Volvo.

·
Super Moderator
3,778 Posts
Do you mean regular keys in addition to the PCC? I'm guessing not since you have a 2007 V70 listed in your signature.
I have a switchblade type key in a key fob that controls the alarm and various functions on the car, like unlocking the tailgate. AND I have a regular key that's used in the regular way...

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have a switchblade type key in a key fob that controls the alarm and various functions on the car, like unlocking the tailgate. AND I have a regular key that's used in the regular way...
The regular key is your valet key, it will not work in your glovebox.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It will unlock and start your car though. Which is what the original poster needed...
Not in this case. There is no separate "valet" key and if there was there wouldn't be a keyhole for the key to work in anyway (at least for starting the car). Valet mode for our cars involves removing the metal key from inside the fob and using it to lock the glovebox. Then you just give the fob to the valet. It allows them to open the door and start the car but the trunk won't open with the metal key removed from the fob.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts