SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. If I were to keep my 1998 V70R in FWD configuration will this open more possibilities to converting it to a manual transmission? Is it as simple as finding a donor T5 manual transmission (for example) from the same generation or is it more complicated than this? Thanks.

·
Registered
17,317 Posts
any m56 will work, provided you have the supporting axles and such. If you decide to go that route, find a donor 98 manual wagon, preferrably a NA car so the tranny hasnt seen a lot of torque. pull out the awd system entirely and then put in the manual transmission subframe for the front and delta link IRS in the rear. Not exactly a small project but the 700 lbs you ditch will make a huge difference in handeling. Then you have yourself a V70 T5-R. That would be sweet.

·
Registered
17,317 Posts

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
J H Christ!
700 lbs?
Try 175 lbs or so
Curb weights are posted for anyone to see so before you wrote that ridiculous added weight, you should have looked that up.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Why would you not want the awd? So you can have torque steer and not handle as well in the winter?

·
Registered
17,317 Posts
Careless mistake on my part, was think of the weight difference between fwd sedan and awd wagon. Oops. Still significant though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Scottish for the info. I won't be doing this work myself and not super familiar with the components so I ask; what are supporting axles and why would my car not have them already? Are they exclusive to manual transmissions and a separate item I would need to purchase?

Why would you not want the awd? So you can have torque steer and not handle as well in the winter?
Sonic, good question and there are a few reasons. A few years ago I would have kept it AWD but the car has (costly) needs involving the installation of the prop shaft and at this point in the car's life it has become a 2nd car and I'm not as motivated to make it "proper." I just need it to go forward, go backwards and turn. My justification for keeping it FWD is helped from old memories of my 855R, which I still wish I had! With FWD and winter rubber it will be fine for what I need out of this car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keep in mind that the electronics need to be changed to do this. The TCM is removed and the ECU needs to be modified as well. You also need to add a reverse light switch.

·
Registered
17,317 Posts
For a 98 you can put in a 98 t5 manual ecu

·
Registered
17,317 Posts
J H Christ!
700 lbs?
Try 175 lbs or so
Curb weights are posted for anyone to see so before you wrote that ridiculous added weight, you should have looked that up.
Weight difference PER Volvo Owners Manual for 1998 FWD T5 wagon versus 1998 V70 R AWD is 529 lbs. So 700 lbs nope, but a hair more than a quarter ton of weight makes a serious difference. I notice significant changes in the handling of the S70 with even a full tank of gas let alone one, two or three passengers. Add a trunk full of gear and its an entirely different vehicle. Wagons with more cargo capacity have even more

Its not like I have a degree in engineering or anything to back up my seat of the pants analysis of weight distribution affecting vehicle stability.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
You need the pedals and cylinders and shift mechanism from a donor car. Unless you're crazy, you will want to spend some money on a new clutch and pressure plate, and new seals for the tranny and the rear main seal on the engine, just due to free labor. The manual transmission axles are different than the automatic except for certain years and models so you want those to come with the donor car as well.

Here's my first transmission swap thread which shows much of what is involved but has a couple issues you won't have if you get a parts car. You shouldn't have the ECU problems or the shift cable bracket problems I had.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?107895-I-m-putting-a-manual-transmission-into-my-C70

On the other hand, if I were you (which I plan to be someday) and had a V70R, I would put an AWD 6 speed in it and keep the AWD functionality. It's only a little bit harder than the FWD 5 speed.

·
Registered
684 Posts
How challenging?

When I did my 850, it's basically comes down to

Transmission swap with changing seals (rear main, input shaft, and two output seals) and install clutch (resurfaced the single mass flywheel before hand, throw-out bearing doesn't come with R clutch kit)
Pedal box swap (I've been told 850 uses different box than x70)
Clutch lines put in (put in master cylinder with engine bay empty)
Shifter and its cables put in (put in shifter and cables with engine bay empty)
TCU delete, make plug for reverse wires (blue/blue white, I think) and starter wires solder together (green/green red, I think.), removed rest of the TCU wires or leave them in, up to you.

It was actually very easy with engine hoist, (I don't see how you can do it without one) Everything plugged in, if not remove the block off plate. No custom work needed to be done. Just time consuming consider the amount of work.

Even installing the Quaife LSD was easy. I bought LSD with bearings installed, knocked out the cones and installed the new ones. (If you have the speed sensor in transmission 850 car, you'll need to re-wire the speed sensor wiring to the abs wiring) https://re-volvparts.com/store/differential/10-quaife-limited-slip-differential-for-m56.html Easiest manual transmission I ever worked with (to be fair, the other manual transmission I worked with was 80's turbo dodges). The transmission opens in perfect halves, easy to clean and easy to seal back with the Volvo pink anaerobic sealer 1161059. I filled my trans with Volvo 1161645.

I also changed my subframe bushings for good measure.

I can't imagine a x70 is any harder, and considering a M4.4 Turbo 5 speed ECU is available, that makes it even better.

Buy a x70 manual parts car, get new hydraulics parts and clutch, and have at it!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've done the research as I have the same set up, a FWD converted AWD R model, not exactly a bolt in and go situation.

It gets tricky when it comes to the rear transmission mount. The FWD uses a hydraulic mount that bolts to the rack and pinion, the AWD uses that "V" shaped mount on the left side of the differential cover, that mounts to the subframe. In order for a FWD M56 to work, you'd have to either custom fabricate a mount bracket on the left as the FWD rack & mount wont fit since the exhaust downpipe is in the way. If you have a custom exhaust that clears the mount then you are OK. The M56 and M66 do not have factory mounting provisions for that right mount.

OR...Find the ultra rare M56 they used in the 03-04 C70 m56 as it has the same goofy AWD style left transmission mount that will bolt right in.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I've done the research as I have the same set up, a FWD converted AWD R model, not exactly a bolt in and go situation.

It gets tricky when it comes to the rear transmission mount. The FWD uses a hydraulic mount that bolts to the rack and pinion, the AWD uses that "V" shaped mount on the left side of the differential cover, that mounts to the subframe.

I would probably take the subframe and steering rack from the parts car and get an OBX downpipe and exhaust if I was to do that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would probably take the subframe and steering rack from the parts car and get an OBX downpipe and exhaust if I was to do that.
There in lines another problem. The FWD exhaust will not work on an AWD car, unless if you have a welder and pipe bender. plus the rear section is totally different. The AWD Exhaust hangs lower to clear the propeller shaft and is offset. Volvo didn't make it easy at all.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Or just call Colorado Driveshaft...
A new prop shaft may not be as expensive as you think.

·
Registered
17,317 Posts
There's one floating around on Craigslist for $350

·
Registered
684 Posts
There in lines another problem. The FWD exhaust will not work on an AWD car, unless if you have a welder and pipe bender. plus the rear section is totally different. The AWD Exhaust hangs lower to clear the propeller shaft and is offset. Volvo didn't make it easy at all.
You're right, the awd downpipe does look like crap.

Time to upgrade!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your input. *** UPDATE *** The diagnosis from the "doctor" is not good for this car and it is time to move on.....

Or just call Colorado Driveshaft...
A new prop shaft may not be as expensive as you think.
I wish it was a case of just the prop shaft. I have a "brand new" rebuilt Colorado Driveshaft prop shaft in the box ready to go but there are issues with the front angle gear and something or other in the rear (I was starting to get dizzy with the laundry list of items that are needed and wasn't quite listening toward the end)! Bottom line is it doesn't make sense to invest in this car any longer, as much as I like it. I'm ok with the bad news, however, as it hasn't been my primary car for three years now. But will be sad to see it go.

Keep an eye open in the AWD parts classifieds soon!:D

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
OR...Find the ultra rare M56 they used in the 03-04 C70 m56 as it has the same goofy AWD style left transmission mount that will bolt right in.
I'm wondering if anything post 99 might have this, as my 02 transmission has it. Bolted right in to my 04.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts