SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about another car on this forum about how they remove the hood blanket to make it louder. I don't see that making a big difference. It is also a different car. Here is the thread I am talking about: Make turbo sound more louder I would like some engine specific advice. I don't know much about these cars. This is my girlfriend's car and what I know is American and Japanese cars.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Make turbo sound more louder
I don't know much about cars
This is my girlfriend's car
Sorry, I'm not really trying to burst your bubble but - Does your "Girlfriend" care or even know what you are planning? Think about it - how is this going to benefit YOU in the long run? Will you get more loving because of this, will this make your relationship better? - or, do you want it to sound "more cool dude" when you drive HER car. By the way a noisy turbo is usually a bad turbo, the whine is bad thing indicating bearing are worn. Yes, you could install some sort of blow off valve that would make noise whenever you let off the gas - but that will eventually set off check engine light - athough it WILL sound cool. IF she does not like it - she will be your ex-girlfriend.

Ask her if that's what she wants. And then buy you own turbo car to mess with. There's a lot of fun there - but don't screw with your relationship just to please yourself.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
Remove the hood blanket. Put a pod filter on instead of the stock airbox/filter.

That’ll get you some nice induction noises.

Get the exhaust resonator (center) removed. Will make it have a little more exhaust note but nothing crazy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remove the hood blanket. Put a pod filter on instead of the stock airbox/filter.

That’ll get you some nice induction noises.

Get the exhaust resonator (center) removed. Will make it have a little more exhaust note but nothing crazy.
I will start with removing the hood blanket. I do not want to do anything that will harm the reliability. All of this sounds very reasonable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I'm not really trying to burst your bubble but - Does your "Girlfriend" care or even know what you are planning? Think about it - how is this going to benefit YOU in the long run? Will you get more loving because of this, will this make your relationship better? - or, do you want it to sound "more cool dude" when you drive HER car. By the way a noisy turbo is usually a bad turbo, the whine is bad thing indicating bearing are worn. Yes, you could install some sort of blow off valve that would make noise whenever you let off the gas - but that will eventually set off check engine light - athough it WILL sound cool. IF she does not like it - she will be your ex-girlfriend.

Ask her if that's what she wants. And then buy you own turbo car to mess with. There's a lot of fun there - but don't screw with your relationship just to please yourself.
She wants more power but doesn't want to sacrifice MPG. I would say making the car feel sportier by making it loud is a good compromise. As for the rest of your post, project your insecurities elsewhere. If you have any suggestions to increase power without affecting gas mileage I am here to hear your infinite wisdom my friend. Don't assume that I don't know anything about cars when I say I don't know much about European cars.

·
Registered
680 Posts
She wants more power but doesn't want to sacrifice MPG. I would say making the car feel sportier by making it loud is a good compromise. As for the rest of your post, project your insecurities elsewhere. If you have any suggestions to increase power without affecting gas mileage I am here to hear your infinite wisdom my friend. Don't assume that I don't know anything about cars when I say I don't know much about European cars.
Then I would suggest a tune - after you are at stage 0. I've used a couple of tuners and was very pleased with Hilton. Easy to install (although a DICE unit was required) and there was no downtime shipping a control unit back and forth. Was well worth the money in my opinion.

I would not "remove this or that" or " put an air intake on" that only sounds loud and might actually reduce your hp. Volvo engineers have spent a lot of time trying to figure out what works best and Volvo already has a cold air intake installed at the factory. - The loud intake and fart can muffler guys - what is their research and developement budget?

·
Registered
467 Posts
:rolleyes: I get it, you think Volvo engineers are the greatest in the business.
First of all, aftermarket filters do actually increase power. It's not much, but they do.

Volvo's engineers are good, but this isn't their Cyan Racing team. They're not squeezing the last ounce of performance and power out. Go look at how S60R/V70Rs are cracking cylinder sleeves in 100%, 300hp factory form. A Volvo engineer posted how they knew the engines were good for a max of 315hp or only 5% more than claimed from the factory and still put them into production. These are mass produced mid-level cars, not a Koenigsegg or Pagani. The engineering is decent for the most part but there's definitely room for reliable gains.

·
Registered
680 Posts
:rolleyes: I get it, you think Volvo engineers are the greatest in the business.
NO I don't - but they certainly have a larger budget than the Fart can muffler and "cold air" intake guys. But hey - some people like the fart can drone, and the sound of air sucking - personally I just like to be pushed back in the seat by torque! (and don't like the fart can or loud intake sounds)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have decided not to do anything for now. I just want a blow off sound and not the sound of sucking air. And most "cold air" intakes are hot air intakes. I am not one of those ricers. I just wanted something fun for the minimum amount of money without sacrificing reliability. If I just found myself in a better situation then I will make changes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts