SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I know this is sacrilegious, but I am looking for ways to detune my t5 before giving my car to my young driver (son). I would love to essentially eliminate all boost so it becomes a NA engine, but I don't want any long term damage. Also, I would like to reverse the change once he has driving experience or when we go to sell the car.

I have seen that I can do a tune to adjust the speed limiter down and also to tune for 87 octane. This is a good first step, but he would still have about 200hp at his right foot.

Any ideas for getting the power down into the middle 100's?

Thanks...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm just going to go ahead and say yes, but don't do it. I'm sure you can lower the boost, but not completely eliminate it, and even then I'd say no. Maybe adjust the wastegate so it underboosts but it'll run like ****, please don't ruin a perfectly good T5 because you feel your son is an inexperienced teenager and will maybe possibly find himself in a ditch with a powerful in a FWD car (no offense). Instead sell it to someone who'd take advantage and love that power, and buy something like an N/A S60 if you're hell bent on giving him a nice car with no guts, or do what I believe is the right thing to do, and let him learn how to drive by driving a car with some grunt like the T5. I'm 19 and my first car outside of borrowing cars from family is this 2002 S80 T6, and with my tune I have 320WTQ in a FWD car under my foot. And I honestly think it's made me a better driver. Plus these cars as safe as hell, traction control will keep him out of any ditch, and even if he does somehow find himself in a ditch, it's a Volvo. He'll live.

·
Registered
877 Posts
If i were putting a speed limiter i would set it at 90mph for emergency passing. About the hp/tq, in most cases volvos are not looked upon as race cars so i highly doubt that your son will be attempting to race it, if he starts trying to modify the car with parts that increase performance then put your foot down and don't allow it if you feel he is not ready to handle it. My parents did the same thing to me on my s60 when i was 16 then after a year of safe driving with no tickets or accidents i was free to do performance modifications. Im 18 now and yes i have received a speeding ticket, a ticket that I was responsible for paying and sorting out.

Explain to your son the expenses that come along with speeding and reckless driving. Explain to him not only the dangers of him not paying attention while driving but to be aware of others at all times that appear to not be paying attention. The one thing my dad always told me is to expect someone to do something dumb like cut you off, brake for no reason, turn without a turn signal, etc. The point is you can give a kid a Geo metro and they can still get in an accident or loose control going to fast on a road thats 25mph and they're going 60. Just be glad that your son will be in a safe car that is able to keep him safe in the case of an accident.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If i were putting a speed limiter i would set it at 90mph for emergency passing. About the hp/tq, in most cases volvos are not looked upon as race cars so i highly doubt that your son will be attempting to race it, if he starts trying to modify the car with parts that increase performance then put your foot down and don't allow it if you feel he is not ready to handle it. My parents did the same thing to me on my s60 when i was 16 then after a year of safe driving with no tickets or accidents i was free to do performance modifications. Im 18 now and yes i have received a speeding ticket, a ticket that I was responsible for paying and sorting out.

Explain to your son the expenses that come along with speeding and reckless driving. Explain to him not only the dangers of him not paying attention while driving but to be aware of others at all times that appear to not be paying attention. The one thing my dad always told me is to expect someone to do something dumb like cut you off, brake for no reason, turn without a turn signal, etc. The point is you can give a kid a Geo metro and they can still get in an accident or loose control going to fast on a road thats 25mph and they're going 60. Just be glad that your son will be in a safe car that is able to keep him safe in the case of an accident.
Agreed, 100%. And these cars already have speed limiters. Mine was at 130 I believe stock, but it could come lower on a stock S40/V50 T5. Maybe lower that to 90-95 as recommended. Sometimes you do need to stretch a cars legs out a bit to get you out of trouble. And yea, most people don't know that Volvo's are fast. I just attempted to stay away from saying that because I didn't want to upset anyone but does he even know it has that sort of power? If he doesn't I doubt he'll attempt to race anyone or really do stupid things with it. And yea, I learned my lesson when I got a ticket for going 92 in a 65, $480 that had to come out of my pocket. So now instead of owning a nice IPD intercooler, I gotta pay a speeding ticket. These are valuable lessons my man! Sometimes you gotta let your kit stick his finger into a light socket to learn life will bite back.

See I was in an opposite situation from your son, I knew I was buying a rocket, my parents saw the Volvo badge and were fine with it. Not knowing I have a twin turbo inline 6. Maybe you know it's a rocket and your kid doesn't.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would rather not start a flaming war with this thread, but I would also like the input of people that are old enough to have children. From my experience, a teenager will always say that a ton of power is perfectly acceptable. I would have said the same back when I knew everything and had infinite wisdom. Now it is a different story.

Regarding the sell it comment, I can sell my car and give my son a really nice Honda Civic. That doesn't make sense financially. Why sell a luxury car to buy an economy car? Not to mention, I stated in my original question that I want to be able to undo the change once he has experience.

Regarding the he won't race it comment, I don't think you understand my concerns. I was a kid once and I did not race my car or get speeding tickets, but I knew the exact top speed of my car. My dad didn't give me his old car, he bought me a used car with a whopping 88 HP (1988 Ford Tempo). Coincidentally, the top speed of that Tempo was also 88MPH.

I am a fairly good teacher of mechanical things and he will certainly know how to drive a car properly. The point of having less power is to curb some of the youthful exuberance.

I just noticed that the custom tunes from Rica support speed and rev limit adjustment. Reduce max speed to around 85 and max revs to around 4500. The highest legal limit around here is 70 so that gives more than enough room for passing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would rather not start a flaming war with this thread, but I would also like the input of people that are old enough to have children. From my experience, a teenager will always say that a ton of power is perfectly acceptable. I would have said the same back when I knew everything and had infinite wisdom. Now it is a different story.

Regarding the sell it comment, I can sell my car and give my son a really nice Honda Civic. That doesn't make sense financially. Why sell a luxury car to buy an economy car? Not to mention, I stated in my original question that I want to be able to undo the change once he has experience.

Regarding the he won't race it comment, I don't think you understand my concerns. I was a kid once and I did not race my car or get speeding tickets, but I knew the exact top speed of my car. My dad didn't give me his old car, he bought me a used car with a whopping 88 HP (1988 Ford Tempo). Coincidentally, the top speed of that Tempo was also 88MPH.

I am a fairly good teacher of mechanical things and he will certainly know how to drive a car properly. The point of having less power is to curb some of the youthful exuberance.

I just noticed that the custom tunes from Rica support speed and rev limit adjustment. Reduce max speed to around 85 and max revs to around 4500. The highest legal limit around here is 70 so that gives more than enough room for passing.
Not flaming, thoughts/advice. :)

Never said a Civic! I just said just trade for an N/A Volvo. Not asking you to buy a tin can or downgrade comfort. From a luxury standpoint going to an N/A S60 from a T5 S40 is an upgrade even! I can't imagine the N/A cars being that expensive.

And I can have children, just not the smartest thing to go about doing at the moment ROFL. College student, plus work, plus hobbies, plus getting any sleep is hard enough as is. Don't need a kid, let alone a woman in my life at the moment. xD

And yea, limiting the revs and speed limit sounds like the best plan if you must, but reducing the boost to me sounds just silly is all. But I feel you, just don't want your kid to get hurt or be stupid. At the very least limit said "youthful exuberance". Still say leave it as is.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't do it. There is no reason to detune the T5. Sixteen year old girls drive BMW 335i sedans and coupes with 300 hp. Teach your offspring how to drive safely and properly, and you'll be set. Giving your offspring a gimped and half-ass-detuned auto is not the answer.

I am 27 years old. My first car was a 1996 Impala SS and I currently own a toy with over 500 hp. Proper parenting does not involve setting artificial limits on real life. It involves trust.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don't do it. There is no reason to detune the T5. Sixteen year old girls drive BMW 335i sedans and coupes with 300 hp. Teach your offspring how to drive safely and properly, and you'll be set. Giving your offspring a gimped and half-ass-detuned auto is not the answer.

I am 27 years old. My first car was a 1996 Impala SS and I currently own a toy with over 500 hp. Proper parenting does not involve setting artificial limits on real life. It involves trust.
Those Impala's packed quite a punch! I used to really like them. But again I agree.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
I would love to essentially eliminate all boost so it becomes a NA engine, but I don't want any long term damage. Also, I would like to reverse the change once he has driving experience or when we go to sell the car.
I'd suggest bypassing the TCV by plumbing the wastegate directly to the turbo. The car will run normally, but will only build a few psi of boost. If you connect the red pressure port directly to the yellow wastegate port, you'll have a pretty smooth and reversible mod.

A more extreme approach might be to disconnect the wastegate altogether and wire it open, but that might cripple the car, and upset the ECU too.

Some tunes support a switchable "valet mode", but I'm not aware of one for Volvos. A tuner that can tweak the speed limiter might be able to do more, but I agree with others that too much limiting might be a bad idea.

You have any safety/performance driving schools in your area? I hear InControl is using new S60's, those top the T5's HP right there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd just disconnect the wastegate actuator from the actual gate in the exhaust. If it throws codes, just reconnect it and go to the auto parts store and have them clear them with their scanner. It can't be any worse than blowing an intercooler hose, which just sets codes.

I feel you on the teenager/racing thing. My first car was a n/a ' 82 242, and I raced anything that would line up to me.

Good luck!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'd suggest bypassing the TCV by plumbing the wastegate directly to the turbo. The car will run normally, but will only build a few psi of boost. If you connect the red pressure port directly to the yellow wastegate port, you'll have a pretty smooth and reversible mod.

A more extreme approach might be to disconnect the wastegate altogether and wire it open, but that might cripple the car, and upset the ECU too.

Some tunes support a switchable "valet mode", but I'm not aware of one for Volvos. A tuner that can tweak the speed limiter might be able to do more, but I agree with others that too much limiting might be a bad idea.

You have any safety/performance driving schools in your area? I hear InControl is using new S60's, those top the T5's HP right there.

if you want to still do it ..do this ^^

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I am a father with two young adult drivers in the family, leave it stock. A stock T5 is not that potent, it's reasonably quick and that can get a driver out of trouble as well as into trouble. Personally I wouldn't worry about. If you detune it, your son will thrash it trying to make it go faster.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Toms suggestion is what I had in mind for a "safe" retune. Realistically through I agree with the above to just leave it and instill proper driving habits and trust with your child.

My first car was a 94 Integra when I was 17 and built a turbo kit for it that year. A 12 second car in the hands of a teen and never got one traffic tickets. It's called personal accountability and requires being instilled in each of us. Nowadays I feel the nations downfall is the lack of this training in kids. The YOLO concept is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. That's why the nations youth are talentless assholes that are irresponsible and don't contribute anything to society. :end rant: lol

·
Registered
315 Posts
And to think I took my drivers test back in 1980 in a '72 Buick Electra with a 455ci w/4 barrel (350hp/510#torque). Were my parents trying to kill me? I think the back seat of that car had more HP than my T5, getting old isn't fun.

Like has been said before, teach your children how to drive safely and make smart decisions (think defensive driving at all times), you obviously love them and want what's best for them. They can only control themselves, not others who may run into them.

I remember a Chevy Chevette that ran the streets of Universal City Texas in the early 90's with a windshield eyebrow decal that read "Chevy's other Vette", and the teenager who drove it, drove it like a Vette. Don't underestimate a <100hp car, you can still die.

·
Registered
658 Posts
All,

I know this is sacrilegious, but I am looking for ways to detune my t5 before giving my car to my young driver (son). I would love to essentially eliminate all boost so it becomes a NA engine, but I don't want any long term damage. Also, I would like to reverse the change once he has driving experience or when we go to sell the car.

I have seen that I can do a tune to adjust the speed limiter down and also to tune for 87 octane. This is a good first step, but he would still have about 200hp at his right foot.

Any ideas for getting the power down into the middle 100's?

Thanks...
Well, seems like you're getting responses to everything BUT what you asked for.

I would look into the various companies that offer a live "retune" via OBDII connections. I think Viva Performance's website has something like it, ELEVATE, and many others. You'll basically be purchasing a handheld unit which connects to the OBDII port. Turn the handheld unit on, select your "Teen Mode" and then when you get the car back, select "Adult Mode". You can set the speed limit and so forth.

The T5 really isn't a "fast" car per se, compared to everything else on the road--I'd say it was "spirited". If you were asking about an M5 or M6, then I'd certainly agree 100% for a mandatory detune--but then I'd recommend just buying a used Honda. But a stock T5 shouldn't hurt anyone, including the driver. It will reward smart driving, as well as protect (via suspension) if somebody takes a turn too fast. Even so, a de-tuned car can still crash if the driver takes a turn too fast, however. Most crashes happen at less than 45MPH anyway, and close to home.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I have two sons aged 17 & 21 at the moment. No tickets or crashes.

If this school or similar is available near you DO IT! Street Survival
Best money ever spent. Super well run in our area. Wet skid pad, emergency lane change, etc. They even surrounded a semi with cars & had all the kids sit inside to check out the view. Kids learn right away what their car will & will not do.

My kids are tight wads with money. Our deal is this... I pay for insurance, they pay any deductible + the bump in premium due to ticket or crash. Schedule a sit down meeting with your agent & child. Have him review the policy & costs. Then have him/her run a few "what if" scenarios. VERY eye opening for my kids. I swear this scared them more than any "Red on the Highway" movie.

All kids are different, your mileage may vary, **** happens, etc. Bottom line, as a parent you already have a certain "Spidy Sense" where your own kids are concerned. Do what you feel is best.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i know for fact that http://www.inmotionusa.com/ can detune it for better gas milage, now im not sure how much slower will it get. your best et is call known volvo tuners and ask them if they can detune it.Im pretty sure they can.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Hi, from the S60 and V70 section here but saw your first post of this yesterday and was curious what kind of responses you would get. I think you are right on to think about detuning the car for safety reasons. I don't care how many kids don't wreck their new cars, I still think kids should start with a beater and learn as they go. Driving school would be well worth the money, it's not enough to learn how to hit the brake and gas, they should be aware of defensive driving techniques and be familiar with their car's limits.

I would advise contacting Lucky at ARD and see if he can help by setting the speed limiter and rev limiter, RICA or IPD/MTE might be able to do it too but Lucky is in the US and cheap.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Getting your kid a civic is not a great idea, look at that community.

Get your son a Volvo 240 Estate from craigslist for around $500...if he doesn't destroy it in a year give him the T5.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts