SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I be racing for the rear camber bushings? How negative of an effect will this have on my tires?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
That's not too bad IMO. I would want to get them both under -2 but that is pretty close. I have found that anything over -2 will wear the tires out on the inside pretty bad.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
its totalled. Time to put those parts up for sale.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Might as well cut your testicle off yourself. You don't want to even know what happens to it when your camber goes over 2.

In all seriousness, I have always read over 2 is no bueno. This could be because is a nice round number, but 2.4 seems to be a bit much.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might as well cut your testicle off yourself. You don't want to even know what happens to it when your camber goes over 2.

In all seriousness, I have always read over 2 is no bueno. This could be because is a nice round number, but 2.4 seems to be a bit much.
Alright I'll look into the camber bushings within the next two or so weeks.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
It will probably save you a lot of money in tires in the long run if they were unable to get the right rear to -2 or less. I finally had to do adjustables in my BMW after going through rear tires every 4 months with -2.8 and -3. I currently have it set at -1.5 and I have even wear on the rears.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It will probably save you a lot of money in tires in the long run if they were unable to get the right rear to -2 or less. I finally had to do adjustables in my BMW after going through rear tires every 4 months with -2.8 and -3. I currently have it set at -1.5 and I have even wear on the rears.
So my next question would be, when I get them installed should I have them adjusted to be completely even say -1.0 on both sides seeing as the offsets will do a maximum of 1.5 correction?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I would definitely want them even. I tried -1 on my BMW rear and found that the handling wasn't as good. I feel -1.5 is the best setting for handling and tire wear.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would definitely want them even. I tried -1 on my BMW rear and found that the handling wasn't as good. I feel -1.5 is the best setting for handling and tire wear.
Alright, great, that is awesome to know. I will look into it.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Did you have side hop with the toe at 0.37 and total toe 0.41? I recall in numerous other threads about side hop and targeting 0 toe and total toe to reduce/eliminate it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Interested in the answer to that as well as I am about to have my VR aligned.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
You should have the bushings installed so that you camber is as close as possible to being the same on both sides. IIRC the bushings give you up to 1.5 degrees adjustment, you don't want to have them put in so that your left side is -.3 and you right side is - .9, you should try for .9 on both sides.

Installing these is not an exact science, if you need up being within .2 degrees you or you mech did a good job.

numerous other threads about side hop and targeting 0 toe and total toe to reduce/eliminate it.
This is the general consensus

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
They don't look too bad. But I thought you were suppose to wait some for the springs settle to really dial in your alignment.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
You realize this is a FWD bias AWD car and the BMW is RWD right? Negative one degree of camber should be plenty. Most race cars have more negative camber in the front anyway, but that's horrible for every day driving. Honestly I would say save the money for other stuff. If you get a set of tires with a harder compound, rotate them and keep the alignment as far as toe in spec you should be fine. Your toe is what will cause most wear anyway.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts