SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

So bankruptcy light goes on and off in my 2012 XC60 T6. Tried 3 times to get to a parts store for a scan and it kept going out before I arrived. When I finally was able to get the codes, the scanner found 8, but the first to come back was a P0193 "Fuel rail pressure sensor high input". I'm the type of person who has stripped the oil pan drain plug threads on 2 cars, because I didn't learn to not even attempt mechanical repairs the first time around. :facepalm: So I texted my best friend, who's a tech at a local chain. His advice was "It's a high mileage Volvo. Just get rid of it. Buy something else, it doesn't matter what. Just get something else." Since he wasn't much help, how bad is this really? I have 175,000 miles and my car runs great and is in overall surprisingly good shape for it's age/miles (especially being an Uber car). How much can this end up costing? Since it runs great, can I just ignore the stupid thing? How long can these P3s go before they have major issues?

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
The fuel pressure sensor is actually a pretty easy fix on these cars and a pretty common failure point. If you don't address it you'll start to have driveability problems - stumbling, stalling, etc. I think the part costs $39 from FCP. I have changed the one on my P2 car but not on a P3 but I can't imagine it's a lot different.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Your friend is the problem with auto shops.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fuel pressure sensor is actually a pretty easy fix on these cars and a pretty common failure point. If you don't address it you'll start to have driveability problems - stumbling, stalling, etc. I think the part costs $39 from FCP. I have changed the one on my P2 car but not on a P3 but I can't imagine it's a lot different.
I tried last night to find it on FCP and could not. But if it really is that cheap, that pretty much puts most of my fears to bed.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Amazing what a can of BG 44k and a full tank of mid-grade fuel can do

Same problem here however it did not throw a P0193 code until much later. Symptom: My 2005 XC90 was giving me stalling signs especially starting from 0mph or on turns. Eventually took it to local dealer to get an oil change. I mentioned the intermittent hesitation and they suggested to to put in a can of BG 44k. Note: Volvo service uses BG 44k for fuel cleaning system. I purchased a can at my local auto parts store, poured it in the tank, filled up the tank with mid grade and the CEL turned off later on the same day after 3 cycles. I live in Colorado where they have lower octane (85) / ethanol (corn) fuel. Keep this stuff away from your Volvo. Dealer said to stick to mid-grade since it has the least amount of ethanol even compared to higher octane fuel. In conclusion you may indeed need to change the fuel rail sensor but a $24 can of BG 44k and tank of premium Shell tectron gas solved my issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts