SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered these Hotchkis for Mazdaspeed3 from Tirerack and installed the without issues. The only issue was that, i had to put two washers under the bushings plate on each side of the front swaybar, because it improved the fitment. Hotchkis has the instructions on their website but the packages had their clear instructions on installation...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Hmm, interesting. I thought it was a bad thing to change the front anti-roll sway-bar in the front on our cars. I can't recall the details but it would be counter productive to the benefit of the stiffer rear... Can anyone confirm that, one way or the other? Is it beneficial for a AWD?
I have a FWD and boosting the rear sway bar stiffness in a sharp turn helps keeping the chassis flatter, avoid the rear from wandering about, but also provides more traction to the front wheel inside the turn.

What's the diameter of the front sway-bar over the OEM?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The reason I placed these sway bars was because the front sway bar bushings have worn out and they were making a lot of noise especially when I was driving over bumps and pulling out of stop. I had replaced the end links and control arms already and the noise remained. Finally I was able to figure out that the front swaybar bushings were the real issue. Since I was going to drop the sub-frame, I realized that it would be just as easy to replace the whole front sway bar anyway and the cost for a front sway bar and new bushings would be reasonable especially after all the work done to remove the worn out bushings from the old sway bar.

http://http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Hotchkis+Sport+Suspension&model=Sport+Anti-Roll+Bars&group=Sport+Anti-Roll+Bars&partNum=HT22436&autoMake=Mazda&autoModel=MazdaSpeed3&autoYear=2007&autoModClar=
The street, autocross and track event-ready Sport Anti-Roll Bars feature a 29mm, lightweight yet durable hollow front bar and a 32mm, tubular, 2-position adjustable lightweight yet durable hollow rear bar. They are for drivers looking for a distinct track and autocross handling advantage. Polyurethane bushings and heavy duty bushing brackets are also included along with zerk fittings for easy lubrication. All Hotchkis Sport Suspension Anti-Roll Bar Kits are CNC-formed with forged ends.
Specs

Front Rate: 35% stiffer than stock / 560 lbs/in
Rear Rate: 95% stiffer than stock / 1,625 lbs/in
140% stiffer than stock / 2,030 lbs/in

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Specs

Front Rate: 35% stiffer than stock / 560 lbs/in
Rear Rate: 95% stiffer than stock / 1,625 lbs/in
140% stiffer than stock / 2,030 lbs/in
That's why it works. A rear 32mm bar is massive!!! The Elevate is a 25mm, Ipd is 22mm. If one put just a 32mm bar on the rear and stock on the front, the rear end would kick out so easily.

EDIT: Fixed product link: http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Hotchkis+Sport+Suspension&model=Sport+Anti-Roll+Bars&group=Sport+Anti-Roll+Bars&partNum=HT22436&autoMake=Mazda&autoModel=MazdaSpeed3&autoYear=2007&autoModClar=

·
Registered
244 Posts
How's it handle? If it stops the clunk, i might be interested in this

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
That's why it works. A rear 32mm bar is massive!!! The Elevate is a 25mm, Ipd is 22mm. If one put just a 32mm bar on the rear and stock on the front, the rear end would kick out so easily.

EDIT: Fixed product link: http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Hotchkis+Sport+Suspension&model=Sport+Anti-Roll+Bars&group=Sport+Anti-Roll+Bars&partNum=HT22436&autoMake=Mazda&autoModel=MazdaSpeed3&autoYear=2007&autoModClar=
the rear kicks out pretty easy with my 18 mm bar.

by far i think this is the best rear sway bar. it's adjustable

http://www.corksport.com/corksport-mazda-3-rear-adjustable-swaybar.html

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This analysis has already been done. As I was looking for front sway bars for Mazdaspeed 3, their forums provided comparisons and testing information between different manufacturers both hollow and solid.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The handling was vastly better....then again I am not driving this in a track...only in the back roads of my neighborhood about 5 miles of twisting roads..

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I could see where The Sway Bar you have pointed out would be Faster acting , but it's over all spectrum of ability is Narrower , Hence the adjustments . To better Match Your Driving .

The Hollow Bar as shown above - would have a Larger Bearing Surface Area - less likely to Bind & Might be lighter then some others .
I'm Not Knowledgeable enough to say first hand how the Hollow Bar will hold up over time . read
( Fatigue ) would require a long time study .

I'd say good Bearing Material and great Support so Bar isn't moving from Side to Side much - is also very Important .
I prefer those Graphite Impregnated - Teflon Bushings . ;) Which basically need No Grease

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I could see where The Sway Bar you have pointed out would be Faster acting , but it's over all spectrum of ability is Narrower , Hence the adjustments . To better Match Your Driving .

The Hollow Bar as shown above - would have a Larger Bearing Surface Area - less likely to Bind & Might be lighter then some others .
I'm Not Knowledgeable enough to say first hand how the Hollow Bar will hold up over time . read
( Fatigue ) would require a long time study .

I'd say good Bearing Material and great Support so Bar isn't moving from Side to Side much - is also very Important .
I prefer those Graphite Impregnated - Teflon Bushings . ;) Which basically need No Grease
omg they changed the bar design now. instead of 3 way adjustable, it's only 2 way.

·
Registered
837 Posts
so stock mazda speed 3 bars are stiffer than ours? A friend of mine has some off his but I never thought of using them. Theyre free so may as well put em on hey?

·
Registered
837 Posts
ive read that hotchkis bars are hollow and snap in half. I don't know if it is true and what that means to you but There are some pictures around of it happening. Just be careful and push it hard.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
omg they changed the bar design now. instead of 3 way adjustable, it's only 2 way.
I don't see how these things are adjustable...
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the holes are there to adjust stiffness but rather to be used on different model cars.
Sway bar acts like a leaf spring and use torsion as the main mechanism. They essentially twist over the longitudinal length of the sway bar. There is little happening as far as torsion goes on its ends.
The only way I could see the geometry being affected is if the length of the arms acts has a leverage. Longer arm would perhaps make it easier to twist the bar and possibly change the response time or the effect over the suspension pushing against it while bar is under load but it is not the greatest for bar durability. Too much leverage and the bar bends. Hopefully it is designed to support the most extreme twisting force the different position would create...

·
Registered
837 Posts
I don't see how these things are adjustable...
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the holes are there to adjust stiffness but rather to be used on different model cars.
Sway bar acts like a leaf spring and use torsion as the main mechanism. They essentially twist over the longitudinal length of the sway bar. There is little happening as far as torsion goes on its ends.
The only way I could see the geometry being affected is if the length of the arms acts has a leverage. Longer arm would perhaps make it easier to twist the bar and possibly change the response time or the effect over the suspension pushing against it while bar is under load but it is not the greatest for bar durability. Too much leverage and the bar bends. Hopefully it is designed to support the most extreme twisting force the different position would create...
exactly

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I still feel it isn't the right way to go about it and put too much stress on the other parts but I can see what they're trying to do.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yessss PLEASE do that ^
.. you'll be loved on this board

1 - 20 of 38 Posts