SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as most of you know here I've been pretty anal with my rebuild, thoroughly going over every system that could possibly need service at this stage of my R's life.

Last night while working on re-plumbing my EVAP system I discovered both of the check valves in the system are toast.

The check valve that connects to above the TB's purpose is to not let boost into the EVAP circuit. The one that goes to the turbo intake's purpose is to let the EVAP circuit purge to atmospheric pressure even if the first valve is closed due to boost.

If both valves remain open in the wrong direction, the circuit provides a direct path between the intake manifold and the turbo intake which will act as either a vacuum leak or boost leak.

Fortunately the second valve to the turbo intake on my car has a somewhat restricted flow in the wrong direction so it never became enough of an issue to throw a code or notice, but the boost leak it represented was a bad thing none the less.

Volvo only sells this as a complete hose and valve assembly for almost $100 bucks, but since its just a few hoses, elbows and valves I set out to see if I could find an identical replacement valve. After a bit of research I found the same valve for less than $10. They are a common valve listed for Audi and VW turbos, so if you find you need one, just search the web for '058-905-291 check valve' and you will find lots of options to chose from.

So if any of you are doing service under the intake manifold for whatever reason its best to check those valves to make sure they are not toast like mine and causing a boost leak that can easily slip under the radar. All you need to do to test them is to make sure they don't back flow against the direction arrow they are marked with.

If you need an idea of what to look for, they are these guys who are connected to the hose assembly that connects to right above the TB.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
great tip

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
This should be a sticky.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
That's awesome. I have been looking for a while to find some of these. Not paying volvo for that assembly as my hoses are already silicone. Will order now. Thanks stealthy

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Just ordered a set of 5 on egay for 14.99. Can't hurt to have some extras.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
This is great, thanks for the tip. Any general tips on diagnosing the PCV system? I have oil all over the valve cover so I've got some work to do.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
Glove test/oil cap seal/pcv box to valve cover hose would be my starting point.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got mine, they are just a tad bit smaller than the OEM, but they do have 5/16s barbs so they fit nicely into my new hose and secure well with clamps.

A member with much better search capabilities than my own gave me the link to the real deal on my rebuild thread, so for those who want some that will drop right into some old stretched out plumbing or who prefer OEM, here you go . . .

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/57225/Evap-Check-Valve-1275226/

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is great, thanks for the tip. Any general tips on diagnosing the PCV system? I have oil all over the valve cover so I've got some work to do.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
If you are sure there are no broken or disconnected hoses in the system, this is how you perform the test.

Put a rubber glove over the filler neck and use a rubber band so it won't leak. If the glove stands up like it wants to give you a high five, your system needs service. It may try to inflate a little like in the following vid if you give it some gas, but when idling the glove should go completely limp like in the vid. If it tries to suck the glove in the filler hose, that may be an indicator that your PCV valve is working but that the tube that connects the oil trap to the turbo inlet is clogged.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Good idea but not a direct fit at least 2004. If you do buy the VW/Audi part plan to change the hoses to smaller inner diameter as this part number has smaller ports. Now $15 latter I know.

Going to order from EuroPart to see if that is a better fit.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The VW/Audi valve was a tad bit smaller but since I was putting on new lines I was able to get the right size to make them work.

Someone was nice enough on my rebuild thread to provide a link to the actual volvo valve for those who are looking for a direct replacement.

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/57225/Evap-Check-Valve-1275226/

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yes, that's the one. Price is steep: $30 shipped. Looks like that is now available from the dealers: tasca and it is cheaper: $24 shipped.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just replaced everything except these, my guilt combined with this post has led me to order some.
Update, one of my stock units was not closing all the time! boost leak.. I bought some highly rated valves from uro parts (058 905 291K)
and one was stuck closed out of the bag so I sucked it up and got the OEM parts from Tasca.

·
Registered
89 Posts
ATE 24.7718-7301.2
Here is the one with correct in/out diameter - 11,8 mm.

The 058 905 291K is 8,3 mm, so far thinner than original.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Can someone that has installed 1275226 part number confirm that this works for an R car? I hate to throw $100 at the lines and ts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts