SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Hot Temperatures and S60R Turn Signal Stalk Failures

12K views 38 replies 32 participants last post by  colm_ire 
#1 ·
This has been discussed some in the past but, as the outside summer temperatures are rising; I thought I'd bring it up again. In each of the past two summers, I find that as outside air temperatures increase (e.g., to 85 degrees F and beyond), the turn signal stalk in my 2007 S60R often fails to activate the vehicle's turn signals. I think others, too, have noted the correlation between hot temperatures and turn signal stalk issues.

Is this a common issue? Has Volvo ever issued any bulletins regarding the problem? My (dealer) mechanic says no. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue while actually at the dealership, so the dealer will not replace the stalk under the vehicle's warranty. Any solutions?

#2 ·
Get a video recorder when it happens. It's your next best option when the dealer doesn't want to play ball.

#3 ·
Re: Hot Temperatures and S60R Turn Signal Stalk Failures (GoodGuy)

That's weird.
(Hot) temperatures should have nothing to do with a turn signal stalk

#37 ·
Hot Temperature and S60R Turn Signal Stalk Failures

That's weird.
(Hot) temperatures should have nothing to do with a turn signal stalk
Hi, I have a 2004 S60 and encountered this problem when I stayed in Arizona during the summer, but not sure if it is related to weather/temperature.
Left turn started to work irregularly, then the right, then both stopped. Check bulb and bulb holders, fuses, etc., no luck.

Turns out it is the circuit board in the stalk. Remove the three Torx screws under the steering wheel and two Phillips screws to remove the stalk.
Use electrical contact cleaner; spray sparingly. Use pencil rubber eraser (or something similar), and remove the build-up on contacts on left of the board and contacts and top right of the board. Replace stalk and covers in the reverse orders and test for workability.

Check it out on YouTube for the XC 90, search under " Volvo XC90 Turn Indicator Repair " if this link does not work

BreezingAZ

#5 ·

This is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing in any Volvo.

I think you need to take a little different approach. Video taping would be helpful. You could also ask the dealer to keep the car for a full day so they can try it when the interior is nice and hot.

#6 ·
Re: Hot Temperatures and S60R Turn Signal Stalk Failures (Sue Esponte)

P.S. Forgot to mention... I only have the problem when trying to activate the LEFT turn signal.

Yes, it's very odd. After the interior cools, the issue tends to go away. I've sort of assumed the stalk has "contacts" of some sort that expand away from their "normal" position resulting in a failure to the stalk to complete the necessary contacts when manipulated... (kind of like what happens in a home thermostat control). When the interior cools down, the "contacts" contract to their normal position making it possible for the stalk, when manipulated, to complete the circuit and function properly.

I, of course, have shared my hypothesis with the mechanic; but he tells me the above scenario is unlikely.

Winter time... consistently cool interior... no problems.
Summer time... frequently hot interior... very inconsistent function.

Modified by GoodGuy at 10:46 AM 6-23-2009

Modified by GoodGuy at 10:47 AM 6-23-2009

#8 ·

I had this problem almost a year ago and then the problem disappeared. It started to act up again and failed to work while trying to turn left. It seemed to happen when it was humid/raining outside. I video taped the problem and the dealer was able to verify the problem. My dealer said that the car may store a code when this happens. Best thing to do, like the others stated, is video tape it happening. It will give you some firepower when they tell you otherwise. Mine was replaced under warranty last week.

#9 ·

Mine had IDENTICAL symptoms to yours. Only affected left trun signals, always worse with high outside temps. I could not duplicate it at the dealer, but my service advisor was very good. I explained the situaton, said it is un-nerving in heavy traffic, and unsafe for my family when trying to signal and make lane changes. Although there are no service bulletins, he said it is a common issue on the stalks, not just "R" related. And they replaced without having to duplicate. The mechanic also mentioned that it will sometimes store codes. I'll check my receipts and see if the say it did.

EDIT: Mechanics notes: Turn signal stalk, ran computer for codes had code CEM-8F21 did fault tracing R&R steering column trim replace turn signal stalk complete.

Adam

#12 ·

WOW! Ok iv never heard if this befor i do know that the bulb socket goes bad but never a heat issuse weard. I here this aLOT! when i was at the dealer it worked just fine or the noise didnot occear..... you maybe loosing it my friend. or your pullin the wiper stock

#13 ·

I had the exact same issue in my '07 as well. I never made a connection to heat because I noticed the problem as soon as I bought the car and the dealer fixed it right away. I did however buy the car during the summer so it is possible that it was related to heat.

I didn't have any touble getting the dealer to fix it. I simply told them that the left signal was working intermittently and they seemed to be pretty familiar with the issue. They replaced the turn signal stalk without putting up an argument. That was over a year ago now and I have not had the problem since.

#14 ·
Re: Hot Temperatures and S60R Turn Signal Stalk Failures (Steve07)

I don't have the same exact problem but lately every so often when I turn left, the stalk switch for indicators will act up...at first I thought I had a bulb burnt out because it was so rapid of a blinking but never because of the temperature...heck it's been steady rain for a month here and temperatures in the 50-60's...

#18 ·
My right works fine, left is intermittent at best. It has been this way for about a year. I need to "wiggle" it to get it to stay on. I have never associated it with high temperatures, but then again, never really thought to. It could be. ?? Does anybody know the correct PN for the part that needs to be replaced?

#19 ·
Until I read this post today, I thought I was the only one with this problem. My problem is identical to the ones described in this post. My "right" works fine but the "left" is questionable. I have not taken it to the dealer yet, but plan to in the near future.

#20 ·
My 2006 T5 started acting up this morning. I've only had it since September so this is the first real heat I've had it in. We've been in the 100's for several days.

This reminded me of having to replace a wiper motor controller on a Chevy due to bad solder joints. When the board warmed up it would expand and the joints would not contact.

Mine also is acting up on the left turn only. At first it was like a skipping heartbeat. Then a couple of times it was faster. Inconsistent.

So replacing the wand has resolved the problems? Is this a DIY possible replacment?

#21 ·
Re: (Baass13)

I doubt it's the heat. Turn signal stalks are crap in these cars. I went through 1 in my '01 (I almost want to say 2), 1 in the misses '02, 1 in my 05 R, and now my 06 R (with 25K on it) needs a new signal stalk (in fact, it's not working at all now). Based on my experience, it starts with odd blinking patterns at first (usually a double/fast blink), then gets worse later with missing blinks, then it cuts out in turns, then it stops working all together. And no, I'm not beating the stalk down or something like that...

I've had the turn signal stalk replaced every time and it goes away (that's all you should need to replace, unless you've got other problems). Not sure if it's a DIY.. I want to say you need VIDA, but I can't remember. Get proof, make them replace it under warranty or good will.

#22 ·
Re: (VolvoLT)

I had this issue last summer but then it went away on it's own. Now it's coming back, though not nearly as bad...

#23 ·

mine is failing from time to time since ... 2yrs orsow. Only when blinking to the left.
I also notice the position of steeringwheel plays a role ... if it fails and i turn the steeringwheel a bit... it blinks again. It's a known issue but because in EU only 2yr warranty I never swapped mine.
If I get ticket I will forward it to Volvo Car Belgium

#24 ·
New sympton. Now, in addition to the left turn signal activation failure, the button on the end of the knob that, when pressed, shows messages in the message window no longer consistently works. I'm going to replace the entire stalk as soon as I can.

#25 ·

Quote, originally posted by GoodGuy »
This has been discussed some in the past but, as the outside summer temperatures are rising; I thought I'd bring it up again. In each of the past two summers, I find that as outside air temperatures increase (e.g., to 85 degrees F and beyond), the turn signal stalk in my 2007 S60R often fails to activate the vehicle's turn signals. I think others, too, have noted the correlation between hot temperatures and turn signal stalk issues.

Is this a common issue? Has Volvo ever issued any bulletins regarding the problem? My (dealer) mechanic says no. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue while actually at the dealership, so the dealer will not replace the stalk under the vehicle's warranty. Any solutions?

I just ran into this problem this past weekend. Temperatures were around 90-95 and my left turn signal worked only intermittently. I also noticed the same problem when signalling right.

Dropped the car off at the dealer this morning and just received a phone call saying that they were able to reproduce the problem and have ordered replacement parts (stalk and a piece on the steering column, I forget exactly what he called it). I can post the exact description from my paper work if anyone is interested.

Jeff

#26 ·
Read this thread a couple days ago and thought to myself. Hmm, my turn signals work great. Just my luck this morning coming home from the gym I go to put my left turn signal on to turn into my subdivision and it blinks very quickly twice and then stops. I was able to duplicate it in my driveway when I arrived home, but it was intermittent. It obviously is summer but it was about 65 degrees outside @ 7am, so I doubt heat is playing a factor. It is also nice and dry.

I'm out of warranty, I'll be pissed if I can't do this myself because of some "software update" that it will need for the new signal stalk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.