SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have noticed that since I enabled the hot spot tethering from my iPhone data usage has become quite high. I'm not sure how much data the car needs but approximately mine is using around 400mb per hour of data download, and this is without using any online applications like tunein.

Can anyone else check how much data is being transferred from your hot spot?

Omar

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Hi,

I have noticed that since I enabled the hot spot tethering from my iPhone data usage has become quite high. I'm not sure how much data the car needs but approximately mine is using around 400mb per hour of data download, and this is without using any online applications like tunein.

Can anyone else check how much data is being transferred from your hot spot?

Omar
That seems quite high. I do not use my phone as a hotspot but I can monitor data usage from Sensus; I listen to TuneIn for at least 1 hr to 1.5 hrs daily (average). After 2 to 2.5 month, my data usage is barely over 2GB

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mhm ... so in this case I"m not sure what it is downloading. Tonight I'll try to check directly from sensus.

I got my Volvo a week ago and on day one it used 1gb of data.

·
Registered
673 Posts
mhm ... so in this case I"m not sure what it is downloading. Tonight I'll try to check directly from sensus.

I got my Volvo a week ago and on day one it used 1gb of data.
That's a lot of data for only one day. My family of four shares a 15GB data plan. If the car is really that thirsty for data, I guess using my phone's hotspot isn't a realistic option. This would be disappointing, because I wasn't planning on paying for Volvo's data plan once the free trial period expires. The fact that it is only 3G is one of the main reasons.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check when I'm in the car and reply back later on tonight with the exact amount of data transferred.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I wonder if it is the car that is data thirsty or just apps that you have on your phone that might run in the background while you are moving?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the latter was the case than I would consume an insane amount of data per day :) I only consume around 12gb per month on my iPhone.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
That's a lot of data for only one day. My family of four shares a 15GB data plan. If the car is really that thirsty for data, I guess using my phone's hotspot isn't a realistic option. This would be disappointing, because I wasn't planning on paying for Volvo's data plan once the free trial period expires. The fact that it is only 3G is one of the main reasons.
I doubt it is "the car using data"; I bet his phone has a lot of apps that are just communicating back and forth and using data. Plus, the latest iOS has a setting (by default) where an app that downloads a lot of data (i.e. TuneIn) will automatically revert to cellular data when WiFi reception is poor. A lot of people end up, accidentally, using more data than they want by leaving this setting on after the update.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The only time that I use the hotspot is when I'm in the car. Which means that it consumed 4gb of data in a week. I downloaded 4 apps and used tunein radio twice for about 3 hours. Do you know if it will try to download the maps automatically? Because if it does it won't stop until it downloads them all, in which case it will be 32.8gb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts

The only time that I use the hotspot is when I'm in the car. Which means that it consumed 4gb of data in a week. I downloaded 4 apps and used tunein radio twice for about 3 hours. Do you know if it will try to download the maps automatically? Because if it does it won't stop until it downloads them all, in which case it will be 32.8gb.

Hello Check your XC90 system settings. It has an auto check tick box that performs in the background. Maybe best to ensure this is turned off and see if this makes any difference.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi lamme26, the usage went down now. It uses only a few mb everytime I use the car. It could be that it was downloading some updates during the initial phase.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi lamme26, the usage went down now. It uses only a few mb everytime I use the car. It could be that it was downloading some updates during the initial phase.
Hello Omr284
Thanks good. You can check the following option for future software updates. The next update you get can eat into your data.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I enabled that one as well. I want the car to always be updated. As long as it's not using data roaming hehe. That might get expensive.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yes I enabled that one as well. I want the car to always be updated. As long as it's not using data roaming hehe. That might get expensive.

From investigations so far it checks when you start the car and you have an internet connection. In theory an actual search should be low data consumption but if it does it a lot it could add up. By the sounds of it the updates are not coming out on a monthly basis but with more XC90s coming out onto the road there is a greater probability of more software bugs coming to the surface and so more software updates to fix issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts