SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been covered as of late. When making turns at 60% lock, either right or left, I am getting the worst rub (or the sound of a soda bottle being dragged under my car). I switched my pirellis for some kumho asx's, same 235/45/17 size, and the rubbing has gotten progressively worse. It use to only happen at full lock, but now making simple left and right turns is producing sound. Its downright embarassing. Can the dealer remedy this if I complain enough? Sorry if it has been beaten to death already, I havent seen anyone complain about the rubbing under any other conditions except full steering lock.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Re: HORRIFIC RUBBING (gonelaxin)

At 60%, it doesn't seem like you should be getting rub. You could go to the dealer and have the steering stops adjusted, but this will increase turning radius. Also, you may want to have the hub bearings looked at. This doesn't sound exactly like noise they make when they are going bad, but who knows with the R.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

there was rubbing in my 04 s60r wiht the 18 inch pegs and they put fixed it under warrenty. i think they did either a bushing swap and an adjustment

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts

The Kumho have a wider shoulder than the Rossos so rub easier. The severe rubbing may be pulling the inner fender down and making the rubbing worse.... pull a wheel and take a look....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: HORRIFIC RUBBING (JimLill)

Thanks for the insight, i have my 22.5k service next Monday so Im putting together a laundry list for them. I also KNOW that I am experiencing the axle ping, but they refuse to do anything about it.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Do a search for the TNN for the axle ping fix and bring them a printout. If they still refuse ask to speak to the service manager or try to schedule an appointment with the regional rep.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts

Quote, originally posted by gonelaxin »
Thanks for the insight, i have my 22.5k service next Monday so Im putting together a laundry list for them. I also KNOW that I am experiencing the axle ping, but they refuse to do anything about it.

Take the time to pull a wheel yourself so you know more about what the rubbing is all about lest you be at the mercy of the SA and SM.

·
Registered
330 Posts

Quote, originally posted by gonelaxin »

This may be too late, but where are you taking it? If it's where I think it is, I might be able to offer you some advice on who to talk to.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: HORRIFIC RUBBING (Pelle Schultz)

It's Hassel Volvo in Glen Cove, my service advisor is a good guy. As for the rest of them, including the service manager, Im skeptical. Case in point, I had them do an in between service interval oil change and requested them not to wash my car (i just had it zaino'd 2 days prior) and low and behold, they washed it and there were swirl marks all over the hood and roof. I had to bi*ch pretty bad to make them redetail my car and give me a loaner. It just seems they aren't too R knowledgeable, but I dont know of any dealer who is on Long Island.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Re: (gonelaxin)

They can be so entertaining sometimes...

In any case, the rubbing is also on my list when I take it in for service next week at their Huntington location. I have non OEM tires as well. We'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (HJZ)

Yeah I know. I had my car out in Northern California for a yr while I was working there. Smother's European was the dealer who delt with my R, and they were nothing short of amazing when it came to service, quality, customer satisfaction. Hassel Volvo is the epitome of why some dislike New Yorkers. They are arrogant, impatient, and in their eyes, NEVER wrong. I just wish there was a Volvo dealer on the island who cared about their product.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts