SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving work, got into the throttle a touch, big stumble. No CEL flash. CA ran and idled fine through traffic for about 15 minutes. Coming out of a left turn, got on the gas and noting but shaking and and bad sounds. Felt like the AWD was binding. CEL starts flashing then goes away. Thankfully this happened less than a mile from home. Get home, plug in the reader and get MISFIRE CYL 5. Pop the hood, remove plug, looks about how it should after about 25k miles. Replace plug, start car...stumble stumble stumble. Pulled plug again, replaced with a different plug. Same deal. Replaced all plugs with brand new VOLVO plugs. Now getting misfires on 3 and 5. Pewp! To top it off, #2 plug was soaked in oil. WTF?!? Figured I would at least get a code with that one. I think the coils are original. Going to order and replace those to see how she behaves. Worried about the oil from #2 though. It was very, very loose.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Coils and wiring harness. Oil on the plug is either someone’s been spilling during fillup, PCV, or the valve cover o ring.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plugs and coils replaced. Woot! Purred like a kitten for about 1/4 mile then all went silent. Glided to a stop in the middle of the street :(
All crank, no start. Pewp! Called AAA and hung my head in shame. While waiting for AAA to show up, I message a Volvo tech. He said something grounded and popped a fuse. Sure enough, AAA tech cuts through the tape job done on the harness by previous owner and there is exposed wiring. No shielding at all. Good thing I was close to home. Jogged over, got some electrical tape and the AAA tech wrapped each wire as best he could and replaced the blown fuse. Fired right up. Got her into the driveway, popped the hood and proceeded to do a thorough tape job and slid some plastic covering over the offending pieces. Car is running fine and seems much happier with the new plugs/coils. New harness ordered and will be going in next weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts